New 5p and 10ps from Jan 2012

londonterry

From January 2012 5p and 10ps will be made out of cheaper nickel-plated steel instead of cupro-nickel (75% copper, 25% nickel). For MPU5 and older machines does anyone know what changes we'll have to make?

Read More http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2011/11/09/plans-for-new-5p-and-10p-coins-prove-costly-for-kirklees-council-86081-29743034/#ixzz1huzRhcDM

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's an S1 or S10 then hopefully just a little tweaking of the mech should suffice. For electronic mechs tho, these will need reprogramming. Steveh at swallow amusements has already started reprogramming mechs.

Last time I got a price (I think it was from AMR in Bristol) it was something like 25 quid a mech.

It's just not worth doing it unless you're an operator.

I suppose buying a programmer is out of the question is it? (Anyone know what they cost?)

Paul

Yeah, let's see how much interest there is. I think then we would be able to start charging £10 a mech to none mecca memembers and soon start coining it in.

If there's enough interest then I'll bung you £20.

Edited by bigtime2u

There a few hundred quid i thint(£250-£400)?? :eek:

http://www.mektekeurope.com/

:D

+credits to buy (Think it works out about £2.50 per coin programed)

UPDATE..... Per Pre paid Credit £3.00, and full price list here: http://www.mektekeurope.com/html/new_price_list.html

Edited by stanmarsh14

For all that my machines make in 10p coins I do not think I will even bother. That will mean that some 10p coins will not be accepted which I do not see as a problem.

From a players point of view, it really used to frustrate me if I couldnt get coins in. I'd have thought from a business point of view you'd need to do all you can to get money in the slots. As time goes on, I think you will have to convert them as more and more of the new coin gets in circulation.

If no one has any objections, I'm happy to get this organised, so if you'd like to donate PM me with an amount (I'd suggest £20 for 15 of us to keep things simple and fair to all) and when we have enough money donated in principle, I will order it.

If we fall short of target, i dont mind making up the balance (within reason!), and I'd go along the lines of Roger and charge non-mecca members a fee, proceeds can go towards either running mecca OR refunding all the original purchases.

Bear in mind that the Mektek makes hard work of MS111 type mechs. You have to burn a prom to see if the mech works with new coins programed, if not, try, try again. Also the credit version will have you in tears as it keeps taking off credits (£3.60 each) time and time again to rectify mistakes or short comings in the software. As for S1 mechs, it's bad enough now getting them tweaked for the current two thicknesses of coins. The latest version due on 1st Jan is even thicker, so will be near impossible to adjust to take all three thicknesses of coins!

Bear in mind that the Mektek makes hard work of MS111 type mechs. You have to burn a prom to see if the mech works with new coins programed, if not, try, try again. Also the credit version will have you in tears as it keeps taking off credits (£3.60 each) time and time again to rectify mistakes or short comings in the software. As for S1 mechs, it's bad enough now getting them tweaked for the current two thicknesses of coins. The latest version due on 1st Jan is even thicker, so will be near impossible to adjust to take all three thicknesses of coins!

I don't like the sound of the Mektek machine. :(

I did wonder whether it was as easy as just popping out the existing PROM, re-programming it and putting it back in the mech.

Your description of the credit arrangement, reminds me of the Pitney Bowes franking machine I once had. Not only was there a monthly charge for keeping the machine after the contract period, you had to pay a fee every time you put postage on it and the number of times the ink head blocked up and I lost the value of the frank was insane. Never again!

Is there a similar programmer which doesn't use the credit system?

Paul

Edited by booze.net

Your description of the credit arrangement, reminds me of the Pitney Bowes franking machine I once had. Not only was there a monthly charge for keeping the machine after the contract period, you had to pay a fee every time you put postage on it and the number of times the ink head blocked up and I lost the value of the frank was insane. Never again!

Haha I feel your pain on that one, most I lost on a single franking was about 8 quid when it messed up the print.

:headache:

Apparently you could send the bad labels to Royal Mail for a refund, but it was more trouble than it was worth...

Edited by aaamusements

just incase anyone wondered.....this means that 5p and 10p coins will be soon worth more in scrap than actual value.....as i beleive around june time this year a 5p coin was worth 4p in scrap (then it dropped) but thats the reason for the change in metals used. also, because someone asked.....there isnt a programer available that doesnt need a credit for every mech, there never has been as the chips are non rewritable. newer mechs (which probably wont help anyone on here) like mei and sr5 onwards are alot cheaper to do but i doubt that helps anyone

For us with private collections, is it really worth it? I for one have over £100 worth of 10p's which I will just keep - does anyone know if the existing coin will be removed from legal tender in the future or will they run both?

A lot of the old mechs are limited by the total number of coins they can accept so you can't have both new and old coins :hmm:

I'm beginning to think that it might not be for me after all. I don't mind chipping in for a good asset but this sounds like a bit of a con so I might say I'm out.

Announcements