And now for some old news

BF74

Having posted all those flyers and newspaper pics of machines sold in the 80s made me think that there is a few other possible interesting news stories,machine price lists and technical bulletins, etc amongst all these old papers.

So Instead of them stuck here for my personal library use,Why not publish these in a thread so everyone can read.Hope you enjoy these windows into the past. :D

To start with a topic close to all the bidders on Ebay at the moment,Machine sales.

Here is a couple of origional price list(new and used)plus other of vintage machines from companies back in that era I can remember these company names,Quite a few of these machines listed will be familiar names we are now finding on ebay and lucky enough to have in collections today.

Note* In the comparison in the Leeds Leisure lists, the depreciation in value from one bulletin to the next.

post-480-0-75140100-1304511200_thumb.jpg

post-480-0-44724900-1304511220_thumb.jpg

post-480-0-21565900-1304511237_thumb.jpg

post-480-0-83846000-1304511268_thumb.jpg

post-480-0-09929900-1304511320_thumb.jpg

post-480-0-09492000-1304511343_thumb.jpg

post-480-0-74365300-1304511387_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant stuff.

I always wondered what they cost new.

Paul

Top stuff that

I recall rodstock enterprise in Wigan selling Fruitchasers & Frog Hops for £60 in october 1986(i called in and treated myself to a Winsprint for £200) :hmm: Hot Pots where £450 it all depended on the age and rental scale £1200 top and £60 bottom

Edited by albaki77

Top stuff that

I recall rodstock enterprise in Wigan selling Fruitchasers & Frog Hops for £60 in october 1986(i called in and treated myself to a Winsprint for £200) :hmm: Hot Pots where £450 it all depended on the age and rental scale £1200 to and £60 bottom

It was the same with AMR Amusements, once they had done the rounds the price would eventually drop to £75 which was the value of the parts price. After that, if not sold, they would go to places like MDM for conversion.

They were the only people that would sell me a machine as a member of the public.

A few months would knock £100's off the price.

Paul

Top stuff that

I recall rodstock enterprise in Wigan selling Fruitchasers & Frog Hops for £60 in october 1986(i called in and treated myself to a Winsprint for £200) :hmm: Hot Pots where £450 it all depended on the age and rental scale £1200 top and £60 bottom

Yes I can remember Rodstock too!

Here is another one from 1986,The United Distributing Company with it's price list at the 86 preview,Novotel, London.

Fruit chaser at 85,Winsprint at 175.Hot Pot is at 675. :D

post-480-0-74232300-1304521490_thumb.jpg

Fascinating mate, thanks for posting those. :)

I quite fancy that 10p/£3JP JPM Reel Crazy for £95, in site-ready condition. Do you reckon they've still got it? :D

I bet a few people would wish they still had those machines. :lol:

Yes I can remember Rodstock too!

Here is another one from 1986,The United Distributing Company with it's price list at the 86 preview,Novotel, London.

Fruit chaser at 85,Winsprint at 175.Hot Pot is at 675. :D

Most of my collection is in the bottom right hand corner Top Up,Hot Pot,Fruit Chaser,Frog Hop & Reel Crazy all for £1665

What a pisser :lol:

Plenty more to come Steve. :D

Some interesting news of the day,Taken from Coin slot June 6th 1981..

ACE Sindwinder.

Now thats production... :D Makes you wonder just how many are left out there. :hmm:

post-480-0-73226400-1304536797_thumb.jpg

production stats I find most interesting - if I came accross a collection of 70's/80's CoinSlots I wouldn't get any work done for a week B)

All 80s papers sorry to say Paul,I would have given an arm for some 70s stuff. Most are just torn out pages,some complete papers so I will make the most of what gems are left.

Heres how Coin slot announced the "New Coins" to the industry.Coin Slot August 8th 1981.

post-480-0-53725300-1304538419_thumb.jpg

Having posted all those flyers and newspaper pics of machines sold in the 80s made me think that there is a few other possible interesting news stories,machine price lists and technical bulletins, etc amongst all these old papers.

So Instead of them stuck here for my personal library use,Why not publish these in a thread so everyone can read.Hope you enjoy these windows into the past. :D

To start with a topic close to all the bidders on Ebay at the moment,Machine sales.

Here is a couple of origional price list(new and used)plus other of vintage machines from companies back in that era I can remember these company names,Quite a few of these machines listed will be familiar names we are now finding on ebay and lucky enough to have in collections today.

Note* In the comparison in the Leeds Leisure lists, the depreciation in value from one bulletin to the next.

very very intresting to see prices back in the 80's! well expensive in those days.... when i first took over an arcade in 1998, fruit machine prices newish were around 2 grand then, second hand from 250 upwards... now days, a touch screen would be around 6k!

Following on the introduction of the new pound coins and Rising production in the MPU controlled machines.

This is a report investigating the effect in growth of Mars Money systems.

Coin Slot August 8th 1983

post-480-0-33755500-1304615239_thumb.jpg

interesting mention of 700/week output at JPM - over 50wks, 35,000 machines - wonder how many were being exported at this time?

if 'no exports', and with an *estimated/approximate* release of a new game every other month, 5800 of a game

earliest serial number I have on a Sys80 I/O is 38397 (my SRU Goldens2's was number 37724) and latest (on a PSU board) is 99000, which equates to (very) approximately 20,000 sys80 machines being produced a year (over 3 years, 1982 throughout 1984)

wonder if machines produced for export had a separate numbering system or production did not remain constant over the 3 'sys80' years

edit, in reality, recall a european (dutch?) member posting photos of a 'Chaser/Superbank hybrid' machine that probably ran on sys80 tech - no doubt there were others - can count approximately 18 original JPM sys80 games accross the 3 UK cab designs (not including JPM-badged rebuilds like WinSprint, Fortune Trail etc. and jackpot re-glasses like Mystery Spin, FrogHop etc. and obviously not including the games that have stayed 'under the radar' here B) )

Edited by paulgee

interesting mention of 700/week output at JPM - over 50wks, 35,000 machines - wonder how many were being exported at this time?

if 'no exports', and with an *estimated/approximate* release of a new game every other month, 5800 of a game

earliest serial number I have on a Sys80 I/O is 38397 (my SRU Goldens2's was number 37724) and latest (on a PSU board) is 99000, which equates to (very) approximately 20,000 sys80 machines being produced a year (over 3 years, 1982 throughout 1984)

wonder if machines produced for export had a separate numbering system or production did not remain constant over the 3 'sys80' years

edit, in reality, recall a european (dutch?) member posting photos of a 'Chaser/Superbank hybrid' machine that probably ran on sys80 tech - no doubt there were others - can count approximately 18 original JPM sys80 games accross the 3 UK cab designs (not including JPM-badged rebuilds like WinSprint, Fortune Trail etc. and jackpot re-glasses like Mystery Spin, FrogHop etc. and obviously not including the games that have stayed 'under the radar' here B) )

That is amazing the amount of production 20,000 machines per year. They hit big at the right time and for me I love the way through the sru/sys80 period even mps to some extent they stuck with games that were simple to play but yet had a good game with it. I liked the way they spaced their bulbs on the artwork. They got so much out of only a few bulbs really.

I mean 20,000 machines a year that is unbelievable. Today when you look at the decline in the amusement sector and increase in online gaming. I bet way way less than that are produced by todays companies even allowing for exports.

I love your Golden 2,s Paul if you get time is there anychance you could put your vid back up on you tube.

Ron, would you have anything on Ace coin 100 series? I believe these where built around 79, 80, using one of the first ever processors?

Many thanks mate.

Ron, would you have anything on Ace coin 100 series? I believe these where built around 79, 80, using one of the first ever processors?

Many thanks mate.

Nothing as yet,Although I have now found the Coin Slots are from 1981 to 84 and only one 85 issue.

Another notice is little or no reference by manufactures to the tech the machines are running on,When introducing new models all the emphasis is on the sales figures, features and player appeal,With all the pictures taken from the front of the machine and none at all of the inside tech.

Fascinating reading there Ron - how the mighty have fallen like ACE, with even the likes of JPM pretty much out of the picture as well. When was the last time anyone saw a new JPM anywhere? And yet, these are arguably my favourite manufacturer of all time, with the possible exception of BFM. Just how many TRULY EPIC JPMs have there been over the years! (Particularly AWPs)

Personally, I'd love to see any material on the likes of Fortune Numbers, Line Up, Big Shot, Adders and Ladders/Snappy Viper and most especially Razzle Dazzle, not to mention the classics from the aforementioned JPM, like Fruit Chaser, Reel Crazy et al? :)

Anything regarding Sys83/85 BFM clubbers would also be of great interest! :)

Cavey

Here is an example from Coin Slot June 1983. Bell Fruit introducing a new machine and with regards to the technical side just a couple of words."Incorporates the best of Bell Fruit technology" and "Uses a new micro-processor"

post-480-0-29458000-1304699092_thumb.jpg

Ron,

Great thread, mant thanks for posting these! fascinating to read all those old articles and see the price lists.

One request please, Could you scan some of the forsale pages from the back of these old coinslots ?