Stealth remake

Hi people, I picked up this old global stealth tech for a bit of fun, as always the Ram/rom card was obliterated.

I could not be arsed to repair it, but just for the project thought I'd have a go at making a new one from scratch. Here's a few pics of the project

20220629_212309175.jpg

20220629_212324416.jpg

IMG-20220629-WA0008.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-135851_Facebook.jpg

Edited by MattyL

Posted (edited)

Here's the card stripped back. This card was so minging I had to soak it and cut everything off. I always wear partical mask when working on battery damage.  The board looks better but there are so many tiny breaks, virtually every trace.

20220703_122801170.jpg

20220703_122816281.jpg

Edited by MattyL
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's my board design... its a WIP in the picture. 

Yellow is the silkscreen

Red top copper

Green bottom copper.

The numbers near the 64 way connector holes were just for working with and checking.

Checking was the worst part.

With no schematic I worked out each individual line and 'hooked' them up to a legend so I could highlight each trace when checking. Eg Address 1, data 4, cs1. Pic of that to follow 

20220706_204616361.jpg

Edited by MattyL
  • Like 1

Here are the boards... made in China. Really cool to get my design built. I usually work with pencil paper and manufacture everything myself by hand so I really enjoyed this. 

20220726_193120661.jpg

20220726_193132702.jpg

20220726_193219486.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Initially I had one small teething problem.

I replaced hyundai hy6264 ram with Hyundai hy 6264 ram which I had already. The ram speed was different (latency) it should be 70ns but I Fitted 100ns because that's what I had and use on all my other 6264 boards...I have never had to take note of the suffix code up until now.

The ram cleared with everydoor close even though the volts were good so I started looking at what had fitted. Ram speed is something I've never come up against before and something new learned.

The only 70ns Faster Ram I had was 62256 but that's fine to use it as it will still address it like normal.

It ran Totally perfect after 😁

20220726_214347825.jpg

20220728_075325224.jpg

Edited by MattyL

Yep top marks from me too - that takes time and commitment (just a shame it has to be made in bloody China I guess the UK option is too hard to find and too expensive Matt?).

Top job from your garage/workshop - love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattyL said:

Thanks,  I don't think there's a demand for the machines, It was done as a side project and for developing the skills. I have a couple i can make up if someone honest needs one... not for traders or flippers of course 😁😎

Nice one Matty, don't be helping any of them dealers out ;)

57 minutes ago, orchid said:

How many did you have to get built and was it cost effective?

J

No it's not cost effective sadly just a fun project for me to challenge myself. I went for the minimum 5 made. I paid more for purple but How cool does that look?😎The maygay m1, epoch stuff like that has been remade by several people but they work out very expensive, outdated obsolete or custom parts etc... its not worth the hassle either so it's all just for fun. You're obliged to fix any problems or sort out mistakes people make too (blowing your shit up 🤮)

If I paid myself the usual 10p an hour to repair rate to fix the original board these cost more in time for sure 😁. The biggest time consuming and labour part is meticulously checking everything. The voltage monitor IC are pricey at £14 too.

Having said that my hobby is going out on a Sunday and picking up cheap dead machines and having a bit of fun so developing my skills, unwrapping my own PCBs ive designed and built... bringing and old piece of junk back to life is well worth it from a bloke in shed engineering point of view 👍 

• Like 2