MPU3 connectors

Hi chaps,

The never ending MPU3 connector saga continues.

After many years of searching I've still been unable to source or find the part number for the soldered pins ie the PSU plug.

P1040739.thumb.JPG.8de95b8f307c6aa2c9cb3574852b6fcd.JPG

This is what they look like and I've never come across anything like it. As you can see the usual heat issue as taken it's toll but has been made worse by somebody trying to clean the end. Checking with a new female crimp it didn't grip it at all!

So the challenge continues to find a part number for this pin.

These AMP comboline connectors were used in the aviation industry amongst other places but despite searching through various aircraft manuals I've never been able to find them. Stocks do exist though albeit in the US but like all these things if you don't have the part number you're stuffed.

Part numbers are available for all the shells and all the crimps and these I've all obtained from the info that Rich supplied. (what a star)

• Like 5

These ones were,  it looks like they were filed or sanded down. Trouble with all things like this is the time it takes to try and clean them up. New ones would be the easiest method of course but still you have the issue of the female crimp in the plug also being loose so the thermal damage starts again.
The female crimps can still be easily obtained but probably not for too much longer and they are slightly tricky to remove from the shells. With a bit of practice though you can get them out with a couple of jewellers screwdrivers.

• Like 1

Can you make the female ones tighter by crimping them? Cleaning wouldn't be a problem you put them in Hydrochloric Acid which will clean every inch of them then replate to protect from corrosion. I did it on my Bell Fruit Nudge Gambler bulb holders which were badly corroded and I just couldn't clean them by hand.

• Like 1

You can retension them but because the metal has been tempered with continous heat changes it soon loses its grip again. I would always recommend new ones being as they are still obtainable.

• Like 1

Great topic Bob.

Common fault with the mpu3s unfortunately.

The top two pins always seen to scorch.

I think the only other answer might be is to hot wire

on to the back of the board  and have the top 2 pins

as a separate plug if replacement pins cannot be found..

Perhaps using interlocking plugs that only join together

in one position thus avoiding incorrect fitting.

Mpu3 plug connectors are a pain tbh.

• Like 1