where is Magik in my hour of need.

Duffy

Hi

I've messaged him as he rarely / if ever / comes on the forums these days and has practically hung up his soldering iron.  If you post what the problem is you're having I'll gladly pass the details on and in the meantime someone else may be able to help.

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barcrest junky said:

Hi

I've messaged him as he rarely / if ever / comes on the forums these days and has practically hung up his soldering iron.  If you post what the problem is you're having I'll gladly pass the details on and in the meantime someone else may be able to help.

Cheers

Hi.Its to do with the mux selects alarm I've read the manual which says multiplex col transistor shorted so I'm guessing this is why the bottom panel on me barcrest club pontoon doesn't light up I'm out of ideas I've changed all the bulbs for new took the wiring section out and checked the wires and bulb holders I've bought a multimeter and Im getting 1volt on the triacs from the board with the connector off this mux alarm came on then after I sent the board off to maggi+maggi as it didn't pay out there was no power on the triacs now it pays out but still no bottom light section could one of the transistors have blown and still being a novice with a multimeter can I check them with it.I do really appreciate any help anyone can give right now.Thanks

7 hours ago, Duffy said:

Hi.Its to do with the mux selects alarm I've read the manual which says multiplex col transistor shorted so I'm guessing this is why the bottom panel on me barcrest club pontoon doesn't light up I'm out of ideas I've changed all the bulbs for new took the wiring section out and checked the wires and bulb holders I've bought a multimeter and Im getting 1volt on the triacs from the board with the connector off this mux alarm came on then after I sent the board off to maggi+maggi as it didn't pay out there was no power on the triacs now it pays out but still no bottom light section could one of the transistors have blown and still being a novice with a multimeter can I check them with it.I do really appreciate any help anyone can give right now.Thanks

Ive had the same issues, one was the lamp loom. The other one was mpu 4 as no 12v coming out. Sorted a pontoon and black jack about a year ago 

It seems like I've trodden on some toes just asking for help I have tried my best to fix my machine and by joining this forum would like some help I do appreciate some of you have no doubt have been on here many years i have gone thru quite a few topics on here trying to find out if someone has had the same problem or thereabouts. From what I came across magik is a well established member and of course with his vast experience very knowledgeable so hence why I called upon him just for help if he has hung up his soldering iron then I shall leave him to retire in peace and wish him the best maybe as not to offend some I could have re phased my call for help caption and put if magik is still on here pls could he help me as I'm stuck with no other option but I went for a what I thought at the time was a humour type call for help as this is a forum for comments,chat,help topics etc then I know we will get one or two who might well disagree with how others go about things or what they say.I hope I've cleared up any issues I may have made.Thanks

• Like 1

Newer machines are a lot easier to work with, when you are dealing with MPU1,2,3,4, SYS80,83,85, JPM SYS 5 and other older techs it gets a lot more tricky especially with finding parts.

Theres a schematic available. If you dont know tech (mpu4 is not my forté either....ive only done 1)... check your voltages out of the psu first... check the fuse holders are not overly glazed. Then start working back on lamp matrix with the schematic. Few other decent mpu4 people on here might help.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jones said:

Wouldn’t know much about mpu4 systems. My machine is a mpu5 and seems a lot easier than the older models.

I know as on the club barcrest psycho cash beast you just had a hopper to pay out and when you won say £1.80 it would round it up to £2 so it only had to pay out with £1 coins I've stuck with barcrest machines as they seem more reliable than bell fruit and some others I've had.

Edited by Duffy

43 minutes ago, MattyL said:

Theres a schematic available. If you dont know tech (mpu4 is not my forté either....ive only done 1)... check your voltages out of the psu first... check the fuse holders are not overly glazed. Then start working back on lamp matrix with the schematic. Few other decent mpu4 people on here might help.

I'm not 100% sure that my mpu4 board is 100% working I sent it off for repair and waited 4weeks for it I didn't trouble them with phone calls as just thought they might have a backlog or short of staff etc I paid £51 For repair ok it now pays out as didn't before and I've traced these two brown wires from the section that doesn't light up and both of them go into the triacs plug as I've said I've tested them two pins and only 1volt shows up so I assume that's not enough to light that section up but I have to emphasise I'm no sparky. I just get that feeling if I stuck a 100% working board in there it would be fine.

1 minute ago, Duffy said:

I'm not 100% sure that my mpu4 board is 100% working I sent it off for repair and waited 4weeks for it I didn't trouble them with phone calls as just thought they might have a backlog or short of staff etc I paid £51 For repair ok it now pays out as didn't before and I've traced these two brown wires from the section that doesn't light up and both of them go into the triacs plug as I've said I've tested them two pins and only 1volt shows up so I assume that's not enough to light that section up but I have to emphasise I'm no sparky. I just get that feeling if I stuck a 100% working board in there it would be fine.

Forgot to add all fuses ok Bought one of them battery,fuse and bulb testers.

1 minute ago, Jones said:

Does the mpu4 have a lamp board like the mpu5 system 

Not as such I believe that from what I've chased up on old previous stuff on here it's a lamp extender board. Will see if I can pic it here.

Yeah, check the fuse holders are clean... if you have some lamps then its not a power fault if there are a few 'rows' out then thats its a different story.

Think of it as a battleships grid a row and a coloumn. If you have a load of lamps out its probably more like a few rows or coloumns not working. You check for common wires between each lamp not working and trace the back to the board pin. The next step is to test the big power transistors with the metal heat snycs individually.

This is a way to approach it with most techs of a similar age.

Edited by MattyL
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattyL said:

Yeah, check the fuse holders are clean... if you have some lamps then its not a power fault if there are a few 'rows' out then thats its a different story.

Think of it as a battleships grid a row and a coloumn. If you have a load of lamps out its probably more like a few rows or coloumns out you check for common wires between each lamps out and trace the back to the board pin. The next step is to test the big power transistors with the metal heat snycs individually.

This is a way to approach it with most techs of a similar age.

I wish i would have taken a picture of that section of lamps I pulled out to check over it's roughly 4 or 5 bulbs on the top and that amount on the bottom of this panel these two sets plug into each other with a small spade connector I could be wrong but I don't think this section of lights take any feed off the main lamp section of the board as all other lights are fine .

20211125_205141.jpg

20211125_205141.jpg

Yeah is that not a break out board? Its not driving the lamps for sure. Pretty sure the wires you're following will pop back out and go to the pins on the main board. Obviously all checking with the power off

2 minutes ago, MattyL said:

Yeah is that not a break out board? Its not driving the lamps for sure. Pretty sure the wires you're following will pop back out and go to the pins on the main board. Obviously all checking with the power off

20211125_205155.thumb.jpg.f422d9a04b318dc210998dc4952baa2a.jpg

4 minutes ago, MattyL said:

Are you're saying those lamps go to the triac pins? 

Does it seem weird to you that these lights are not fed off the main lighting section then but fed off the triacs.

Ok cool... im not use to mp4 wiring but trust you. I metering around a board i have here and it all makes sense as its under the battery.

This board is one ive got cheap but looks like some one has had a go at it. I will show you which traces to check and what components