Soldering station recommendations

Player

Hi all.

Looking to actually buy a station. The one I stole from work has finally packed up on me. It was very similar to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384313709481?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

I'm looking for something around the £20 mark ;). No, im kidding, i don't mind spending a bit more but can't be hundreds. Can any of you guys recommend one? I assume temp control would be a good feature to have.

Any advice is much appreciated as I really don't know where to start. Never had the problem of having to buy one before :(

Cheers

John

Edited by Player

• Player changed the title to Soldering station recommendations

Definitely temp control. I have an old Weller iron station which must be 40 years old now. I'm probably on my third iron by now but it's been a good old workhorse and all the spares are available. Watch out for the cheap Chinese stuff, as the old adage goes, you only get what you pay for!

6 hours ago, netdent said:

Fix your weller John or sell it to me, they are to me the best I have an old weller TCP you can buy new elements and thermostats

I lobbed it as it was burning 😢. Started smoking 1 day so assumed it was bolloxed 😢

I've used one of these daily for 3-4 years and have done all my repairs so far with it...🙂 I've used the same mullered tip for about 18months because it holds a perfect 'drip' of solder on in the end for track repairs 😂 tried loads of different ones but it's perfect for what I do.

That said I'm going to get an iron for my Pace station and gear which I'm slowly investing in within the next year.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holife-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-Temperature-Adjustable-Rapid-Heating-Bracket-Kit-/194353530609?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Added a picture-it's cheap, not pretty and had a lot of use... It's the Katie Price of soldering irons 😎 does the job though

20211101_214313.jpg

Edited by MattyL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MattyL said:

I've used one of these daily for 3-4 years and have done all my repairs so far with it...🙂 I've used the same mullered tip for about 18months because it holds a perfect 'drip' of solder on in the end for track repairs 😂 tried loads of different ones but it's perfect for what I do.

That said I'm going to get an iron for my Pace station and gear which I'm slowly investing in within the next year.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holife-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-Temperature-Adjustable-Rapid-Heating-Bracket-Kit-/194353530609?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

That looks cool but cheap. I trust what you say though. I can't spend $150+ on a soldering iron