Donkey Kong maygay

Darklink87

Someone I know is selling a donkey Kong maygay but no main board if I got a board how would you go about getting the rom chips etc if someone could help thanks 

Edited by Darklink87

3 hours ago, Darklink87 said:

Someone I know is selling a donkey Kong maygay but no main board if I got a board how would you go about getting the rom chips etc if someone could help thanks 

Good luck getting a working board, they're like rocking horse sh*t.  Then you'll need an ESP board and somebody to burn the ROMs for you, if they're not already in the machine.

The thing to find out if it has and needs a dongle (I don't mean the modern type). A lot of m1s have a small board that plug into the rs232. Without it it will just display Contact maygay on the display. That will be a bitch to find one (could be in the cab if you're lucky).

I'm actually working on an m1 atm- *not for sale and not taking any on* but you can see the work that goes into them 😬 fecking batteries!

20211001_221447.jpg

• Like 1

Those dongle roms can be hacked so the dongle is not actually required.  I don’t hacking a set, these are generally the low stake versions, you don’t require dongle on any high stake Maygays, from what I’ve seen anyway.

J

With a username like cpuhacker you should be able to tell us 🙂

I took the case of the dongle for a look and it's a PAL chip in there so rationalized it's sending it's pulses back to the board off custom pins each time. 

I think it's gotta be a few lines of code that Andrew was changing in the Rom. No idea past that though cannonman or magic might be able to tell you more

Edited by MattyL

29 minutes ago, MattyL said:

No idea past that though cannonman or magic might be able to tell you more

I'm not great on 6809 assembly language unfortunately. If it was Z80 I'd stand more of a chance!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, MattyL said:

That's interesting, is it the Rom that's hacked? Do you know how it's done?

I've only had one with a dongle, the great escape on £8.

Yes mate, I can hack the rom so that the dongle check is disabled.

J

• Like 1