Barcrest Royale Exchange “reel D” alarm 😩

Dotteddown

Just now, Dotteddown said:

This is where I found the coin that fell out the mech and came to rest on too of the two plugs against these to electrical components. I apologise but I have no idea what they are. 

C3CA4984-DEB6-4C33-AF51-9ABA3BCB2348.jpeg

It just happens that these are plugs for reel  D !! 

53 minutes ago, Dotteddown said:

Now I swapped the white plugs over the fault moves to reel c ! 👍🏻👍🏻

Having just gone through reel alarms on my MPU3 Lucy Strike (mine was an opto, but the opto light was not on so was kind of obvious) I just want to clarify what you say here;

Are you saying by swapping the reel C & D white drive plugs on the reel backboard the machine says on the ALPHA ‘reel C alarm’?  When you swap them back you get the ALPHA say reel D alarm? 
OR
Are you saying reel C starts juddering and the machine still says reel D alarm?

The latter points to the MPU, the former the reel deck 👍

39 minutes ago, martinb said:

Having just gone through reel alarms on my MPU3 Lucy Strike (mine was an opto, but the opto light was not on so was kind of obvious) I just want to clarify what you say here;

Are you saying by swapping the reel C & D white drive plugs on the reel backboard the machine says on the ALPHA ‘reel C alarm’?  When you swap them back you get the ALPHA say reel D alarm? 
OR
Are you saying reel C starts juddering and the machine still says reel D alarm?

The latter points to the MPU, the former the reel deck 👍

Hi Martin,

Are you saying by swapping the reel C & D white drive plugs on the reel backboard the machine says on the ALPHA ‘reel C alarm’?  When you swap them back you get the ALPHA say reel D alarm? 

Yes this is correct 👍🏻 

Sometimes the machine will continue to play and the coin mechs open up. 
But the reel is still not in cinque.But eventually the alarm triggers. 
But most times on start up the reels reset and the alarm triggers instantly. 
Thanks for the reply 

31 minutes ago, Dotteddown said:

Hi Martin,

Are you saying by swapping the reel C & D white drive plugs on the reel backboard the machine says on the ALPHA ‘reel C alarm’?  When you swap them back you get the ALPHA say reel D alarm? 

Yes this is correct 👍🏻 

Sometimes the machine will continue to play and the coin mechs open up. 
But the reel is still not in cinque.But eventually the alarm triggers. 
But most times on start up the reels reset and the alarm triggers instantly. 
Thanks for the reply 

And you have already swapped the opto? If not move the opto to the end (where it’s accessible as an added benefit) 

My opto fault was easy as the small light didn’t come on. I just moved it down to the end and ordered some spares. 

Edited by martinb

7 minutes ago, martinb said:

And you have already swapped the opto? If not move the opto to the end (where it’s accessible as an added benefit) 

The good news is I don’t think that sounds like the MPU 

My opto fault was easy as the small light didn’t come on. I just moved it down to the end and ordered some spares. 

I have swapped the reel sensor yes the small board with a plastic black strip on with a light.One of these 

EC6F8629-36DE-4859-8EE7-52F337D7C185.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Dotteddown said:

I have swapped the reel sensor yes the small board with a plastic black strip on with a light.One of these 

Hmmm … on second thoughts I am now wondering by swapping C & D it simply moves the fault down a line because the opto’s are out too! 

Did the misalignment and juddering move to C? Or stay with D?

The only way to be totally sure I think is move the reel deck around, but be careful as I think they need prescribed aligning -something I’ve  not done so maybe I’ll gracefully bow out and leave to those with far more experience than I 

Hope you get it sorted 🤞

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, martinb said:

Hmmm … on second thoughts I am now wondering by swapping C & D it simply moves the fault down a line because the opto’s are out too! 

Did the misalignment and juddering move to C? Or stay with D?

The only way to be totally sure I think is move the reel deck around, but be careful as I think they need prescribed aligning -something I’ve  not done so maybe I’ll gracefully bow out and leave to those with far more experience than I 

Hope you get it sorted 🤞

Cheers Martin, 

When the plug is swapped over the reel acts in the exact same way it did before. 

Do the optos have to be perfectly in line then ? Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Edited by Dotteddown

8 minutes ago, Dotteddown said:

When the plug is swapped over the reel acts in the exact same way it did before. 

Do the optos have to be perfectly in line then ? Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

It’s not the alignment it’s because swapping the reels without the opto will cause an alarm as when to opto sees reel C and then stops it reel D will stop - hence reel C alarm and machine gives up. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Almost certainly one of the transistors as suggested by Quattro and Bob. 

Where abouts ate these transistors please Mike ? On the main board or in the reel deck board ? 

Posted (edited)

Hi Bob, 

Yes I see what you mean now I did think this as the numbers were similar. 
I apologise I have no knowledge when it comes to components ect, I’m still very much learning. 
So as you say Housi said it was on the mpu3 board where the components are that could be at fault.  
Bugger ! 

Edited by Dotteddown

21 minutes ago, Dotteddown said:

Hi Bob, 

Yes I see what you mean now I did think this as the numbers were similar. 
I apologise I have no knowledge when it comes to components ect, I’m still very much learning. 
So as you say Housi said it was on the mpu3 board where the components are that could be at fault.  
Bugger ! 

There is one on ebay at the moment but they are NOT cheap, will go for close to £300 I recon - a repair maybe your best bet from one of these lovely folk. 

Keep us posted how you get on.

7 minutes ago, martinb said:

There is one on ebay at the moment but they are NOT cheap, will go for close to £300 I recon - a repair maybe your best bet from one of these lovely folk. 

Keep us posted how you get on.

Hi Martin,

Yes I did see that I actually know the bloke who’s selling it, I bought this machine off him. 
Is that a fair price for a mpu3 ? 
I lt may be a good idea to have a spare board anyway for the future 

1 minute ago, Dotteddown said:

Hi Martin,

Yes I did see that I actually know the bloke who’s selling it, I bought this machine off him. 
Is that a fair price for a mpu3 ? 
I lt may be a good idea to have a spare board anyway for the future 

I don't think its a fair price no (£300 that is) - I recon £150 maybe yes, however - as always its what people are prepared to pay thats drives up prices - plus as these are now rare, and collectors hold onto spares the prices are inevitable inflated. Repair is the better option if you can live without the machine for the time it takes to wait, and get the repair.

It is always good to have a spare for this reason, but its costly. I have MPU4 machines typically and do hold spare boards - they are rare but not fetching silly money YET (I paid from £30 to £60 for mine but took the risk on untested stuff that came on ebay and fell lucky).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is there anyone here in England that fixes mpu3 boards who could please take a look at mine, I can send by post? 
Or anyone know of one for sale anywhere please ? 
I know there’s one on e bay 

Edited by Dotteddown