Barcrest Royale Exchange “reel D” alarm 😩

Dotteddown

2 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

I was rather hoping for the back LOL

Ah apologies Quattro I will get you a few decent pics tomorrow for you from the rear. 
I was passing the machine at the time and had left the catches off the front so went for the easy pic 😆 

If you have swapped around the sensors 

without success then

I suspect a board fault at this stage.

Try moving he reel by hand with the machine on.

If it moves without resistance then it could

be the power to reels cable.

Check that all wires are fitted securely in the plug ends.

The sensor light should light up when you move it as well.

All the sensor lights are Not lit when stationery  and should

you get a Reel alarm,the offending reel sensor and hold button

will light up.

Spray your reel driver board too with contact cleaner and refit all plugs

Hope you can sort this.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, 

appologies that it’s been a while but I just have not had time to delv any further into my reel D error till now! 
I have managed to remove the reel D sensor without taking anything out and will post a few pics of it. 
I may try to change it for the sake of £15 to rule it out, then that out rules that one. 
I will also try to take off the power cable to reel d to see if I can get the reel spinning instead of just juddering. 
Thanks for the help.

Well i thought I’d investigate the board, I’ve uploaded a photo of it. 
some rusty looking parts but I suppose it is and old girl. 
milk try to get a video of the reverse! 
Would it be a good idea to get this board checked while it’s off the machine ?? 

Each of the white (6 wire) plugs goto the motors and green (4 wire) goto the sensors. Swap the C/D pairs of connectors and see if the fault moves. If it now shows a reel C error you know it is an actual physical reel D problem with the motor or sensor. Those motors do bind up and ware out with age. Maybe a touch of WD40 into the spindle of the motor will help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

Each of the white (6 wire) plugs goto the motors and green (4 wire) goto the sensors. Swap the C/D pairs of connectors and see if the fault moves. If it now shows a reel C error you know it is an actual physical reel D problem with the motor or sensor. Those motors do bind up and ware out with age. Maybe a touch of WD40 into the spindle of the motor will help.

Hi Quattro, 

I have tried this before and the issue is still on reel D when the error code sounds up. 
It’s a real weird one as there certainly peer to it and the leads are fine or when swapped other reels wouldn’t work. 
I may just change changing the sensor and see what happens from there? 
I could well be the actual motor that’s faulty which would be a shame as I’m guessing not an easy fix at all 😩

That sounds exactly like my Cabaret machine.

That looks very much like one of the motor transistors has failed. You can fault it to find which one or change all four to be sure. A word of warning though I've seen so many MPU3's with the tracks and pads lifted when folks try to change these that either don't have the right equipment or skills. It can also be the driver chip but you'd really need a scope to prove it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midibob said:

That sounds exactly like my Cabaret machine.

That looks very much like one of the motor transistors has failed. You can fault it to find which one or change all four to be sure. A word of warning though I've seen so many MPU3's with the tracks and pads lifted when folks try to change these that either don't have the right equipment or skills. It can also be the driver chip but you'd really need a scope to prove it.

Hi Bob, I’ve got a reel sensor on its way to try. So if this fails it could well be as you say. I’m afraid I am not competent to do such a repair or even test the transistors unfortunately. 
would anyone on here know of anyone who could ? Thanks for the reply it’s appreciated 🙌🏻

1 minute ago, Dotteddown said:

Hi Bob, I’ve got a reel sensor on its way to try. So if this fails it could well be as you say. I’m afraid I am not competent to do such a repair or even test the transistors unfortunately. 
would anyone on here know of anyone who could ? Thanks for the reply it’s appreciated 🙌🏻

Thinking about it I did mention early on in the thread when first opening up the machine I noticed a ten pence that had fell out the coin mech and got wedged across two components. 
I will recreate this and take a picture but not while the power is on. 
Food for thought 💭 

Hello 
You have a problem at the Mpu! Check IC 15 and T51 - T54. 
IC 15= 74L04 / T51 - 54 BCX 38 B . Probably ( T51 -T54 ) 
Measure and remove the defective BCX. Then it will work again ☺️☺️☺️

B06A4626-1EBC-4A61-9A33-C6B30E4DC648.jpeg

BAD52E27-9D86-47C7-8E0D-C296FB86E59B.jpeg

And while you're soldering ... replace the capacitors on the small power board. They are from the 80s ... 2x 2200uF 25V / 1x 2200uF 40V 
Greetings

2 minutes ago, housi said:

And while you're soldering ... replace the capacitors on the small power board. They are from the 80s ... 2x 2200uF 25V / 1x 2200uF 40V 
Greetings

Hi, 

I really wish I had the capability to do this but unfortunately I don’t 😩
What makes you think it is these that may be faulty is it but the way they look or just from experience. 
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it. 

Since I have already repaired more than 100 of them, this could be the fault 😊😊😊
I could also repair them for you. If you pay the postage to Switzerland, I'll do it for free. Unfortunately, they are not cheap, but I will do it for free. 
Contact me if this is an option for you. 
Greetings Ruedi from Switzerland

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, housi said:

Since I have already repaired more than 100 of them, this could be the fault 😊😊😊
I could also repair them for you. If you pay the postage to Switzerland, I'll do it for free. Unfortunately, they are not cheap, but I will do it for free. 
Contact me if this is an option for you. 
Greetings Ruedi from Switzerland

Hi housi, 

Very kind of you to offer I might just take you up on that offer ! 
Thsnkyou 🙏🏻

On 10/3/2021 at 3:33 PM, quattrohead said:

Swap the connectors on the reel deck from 3 to 4 and see if the problem moves.

You need to isolate if it is a fault in the reel deck or MPU3.

Do you have the MPU3 service manual ?

Quattro it seems you had the right idea doing this, after the full circle it seems I was only swapping the green plugs and not the white.

Now I swapped the white plugs over the fault moves to reel c ! 👍🏻👍🏻

On 10/9/2021 at 6:33 PM, midibob said:

A couple more things to check. Does the sensor lamp illuminate for reel D? Does the reel look like it's spinning correctly?

I don't know if that was a video you posted but I don't see anything?

Hi Bob,

After a closer look the reel does look like it’s not spinning 100% true 👍🏻 
As you may of seen I have managed to get the fault code to move along a reel by swapping the white plugs over. 

17 minutes ago, midibob said:

More than likely one of the transistors is bad then. You have checked the 7 way red connector for dry joints/poor connections ?

Hi Bob, 

I have removed both the red plugs and cleaned checked pins, seem fine.