Global Tuppenny Nudger

Hi all,

Can anyone help. I have a Global / Maygay Tuppenny Nudger that was working fine until 2 weeks ago. Now, when I turn it on nothing happens. All lights are lit on the psu but the board lights all light or don’t light intermittently but all lights on the main board are as normal. No machine or display lights either. I have tested the voltages from the psu and they all seem good apart from the 36 volt is reading 40 volts. Does anyone know if this could be a psu problem or a problem with one of the boards. Any help would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of potential problems with the Ephoc boards this machine has. 

I'm afraid "EPOCH" and "Non-Working" are two words we see a lot here.  Assuming you haven't moved it down stairs, bounced it off a kerb, then everything will look good from the PSU.  If you can look at the EPOCH mainboard where the battery sits (Usually a green battery) look for any amount of battery leakage.  Even if it looks good, damage can be underneath the battery.

Hopefully it's not that.  If it is..well, there's not a lot of options.  Try reseating some of the connectors between the boards.

Working EPOCH main boards are something that are extremely rare, and not cheap.

Good luck

Statto

20 hours ago, oldskooler said:

I'm afraid "EPOCH" and "Non-Working" are two words we see a lot here.  Assuming you haven't moved it down stairs, bounced it off a kerb, then everything will look good from the PSU.  If you can look at the EPOCH mainboard where the battery sits (Usually a green battery) look for any amount of battery leakage.  Even if it looks good, damage can be underneath the battery.

Hopefully it's not that.  If it is..well, there's not a lot of options.  Try reseating some of the connectors between the boards.

Working EPOCH main boards are something that are extremely rare, and not cheap.

Good luck

Statto

Thank for your advice. I have already actually changed the battery as it had just started to fur up but no board damage. I have also had all of the boards out and checked for dry joints and faulty connectors and all looks good. The only thing I have noticed is all other chips on most of the boards are quite cold when the power is on but the chip on the lights driver board is red hot, even with latex gloves on, and I mean very hot. You could fry a very small egg on it. Don’t know if this is normal or not.

Thanks

13 hours ago, Micknoclue said:

Thank for your advice. I have already actually changed the battery as it had just started to fur up but no board damage. I have also had all of the boards out and checked for dry joints and faulty connectors and all looks good. The only thing I have noticed is all other chips on most of the boards are quite cold when the power is on but the chip on the lights driver board is red hot, even with latex gloves on, and I mean very hot. You could fry a very small egg on it. Don’t know if this is normal or not.

Thanks

It isn't normal, no. Warm yes but finger burn, no.

If your battery on the main mpu has furred up the I would say with high confidence that the battery leakage has caused damage to the mpu.

Said damage on the mpu can and has caused the other daughter boards in the machine to fail or experience problems.

Take a hi res photo of the battery area and surrounding components on the mpu and post it up here let's see if there is any signs of the usual damage.

Unless you can repair them, a guaranteed working replacement mpu will ver difficult to find now, especially for a reasonable price, not to mention changing the lamp board.

Good luck.

Edited by mavroz
6 hours ago, mavroz said:

It isn't normal, no. Warm yes but finger burn, no.

If your battery on the main mpu has furred up the I would say with high confidence that the battery leakage has caused damage to the mpu.

Said damage on the mpu can and has caused the other daughter boards in the machine to fail or experience problems.

Take a hi res photo of the battery area and surrounding components on the mpu and post it up here let's see if there is any signs of the usual damage.

Unless you can repair them, a guaranteed working replacement mpu will ver difficult to find now, especially for a reasonable price, not to mention changing the lamp board.

Good luck.

Hi Mavroz. I changed the battery as it was starting to fit up and checked the board for damage and it’s been working fine for 12 months after I replaced the battery and the board still looks fine. Just wondering now if it’s the light driver board that’s causing all the problems with it’s very hot chip and this is the first board in the link and if this is faulty nothing is getting to the the boards following it in the chain. Do you know anyone who has any supply of the light driver boards. Cheers

2 hours ago, Micknoclue said:

Hi Mavroz. I changed the battery as it was starting to fit up and checked the board for damage and it’s been working fine for 12 months after I replaced the battery and the board still looks fine. Just wondering now if it’s the light driver board that’s causing all the problems with it’s very hot chip and this is the first board in the link and if this is faulty nothing is getting to the the boards following it in the chain. Do you know anyone who has any supply of the light driver boards. Cheers

The issue with leaking batteries is the fact that unless the leakage is neutralised it will continue to destroy copper tracks under the green solder resist (green coating). It takes time but will rot until it causes damage. This applies whether the battery has been replaced for new or just removed.

If you feel it is the lamp board at fault then obviously change it for a guaranteed working one but be aware that if the mpu is at fault, it could destroy a new lamp board straight away.

Unfortunately guaranteed working Epoch lamp driver boards and mpus are very difficult to find now and if you do find one on the auction sites, they will be a very high price.

Edited by mavroz

Most people say there's no battery damage and want to believe the fault is elsewhere. We usually go back and fourth to discover the board is nearly to the point of no repair. That's why people insist with a picture on epoch.

When you've been fitting and removing the boards if you have done anything with power on then you could have caused that on the lamp/ alpha board buy unplugging the display. If it's getting that hot, you'll need a new one. It could be killing the serial link yes but the main board is still the most likely if there's been even a minor leak

On 9/22/2021 at 6:43 PM, mavroz said:

Again a picture of the battery area on the main mpu will tell a thousand stories.

What leds are lit on the mpu when you try to boot the machine and what leds are lit or unlit on the psu?

Hi Mavroz. 
Picture attached. All lights that should be lit on the board are on when powered up. All lights on the psu are also lit. Thanks for your time. 

4AB57B66-CD3F-4DCA-B47C-CE567BA2864B.jpeg

OK, the picture when zooming in is grainy but it appears the through holes between DP1 and the battery look green. The blue capacitor to the left of the battery looks green around the bottom of it, again possibly around the through holes..Green = battery leakage, battery leakage = damaged board. It only takes the smallest amount with an Mpu such as Epoch.

I am also trying to remember without powering a machine up and going inside it but I am not sure all the lights on the psu should be permanently on.

Edited by mavroz

That tiny battery damage break next to q1 was enough to stop this board. The Leds all looked normal but it screws up the memory. Tapped buttons and the reels just twitched.

A tiny bit of green/blue rot any where is enough to stop it

20210527_211238.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for taking a look at the picture for me. Are we now saying it’s probably the main board that’s the problem but I still have the very hot processor on the lamp driver board. I suppose I will have to try to find replacements for both but still no telling if replacing both will work. Just have to find working replacements now. 

Thanks

On 9/26/2021 at 6:33 PM, mavroz said:

OK, the picture when zooming in is grainy but it appears the through holes between DP1 and the battery look green. The blue capacitor to the left of the battery looks green around the bottom of it, again possibly around the through holes..Green = battery leakage, battery leakage = damaged board. It only takes the smallest amount with an Mpu such as Epoch.

I am also trying to remember without powering a machine up and going inside it but I am not sure all the lights on the psu should be permanently on.

Hi all,

Thanks for taking a look at the picture for me. Are we now saying it’s probably the main board that’s the problem but I still have the very hot processor on the lamp driver board. I suppose I will have to try to find replacements for both but still no telling if replacing both will work. Just have to find working replacements now. If you have any other thoughts please please let me know. 

Thanks

On 9/26/2021 at 9:12 PM, MattyL said:

That tiny battery damage break next to q1 was enough to stop this board. The Leds all looked normal but it screws up the memory. Tapped buttons and the reels just twitched.

A tiny bit of green/blue rot any where is enough to stop it

20210527_211238.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for taking a look at the picture for me. Are we now saying it’s probably the main board that’s the problem but I still have the very hot processor on the lamp driver board. I suppose I will have to try to find replacements for both but still no telling if replacing both will work. Just have to find working replacements now. If you have any other thoughts please please let me know. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Micknoclue said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Not "now" saying it is the main mpu that is the problem, have said it is probably that the main mpu is the root cause of your issues since my first posts.

It is difficult to diagnose a fault over a forum with a poor quality picture.

If there is any battery leakage on the main mpu no matter how little, the chances are the board is damaged and will no longer work without time consuming repairs if possible.

Generally through experience with this tech, when an Epoch based machine was working fine and "just stops" working, first port of call is the mpu and battery rot. This can cause damage to the other boards along the chain. Other issues can stem from the psu.

At one time, a replacement board set was available and the whole lot would be changed to ensure the machine would work as people would buy a new mpu, replace it and the lampboard or hopper board etc would not still work.......

Yes it sounds like your lamp board is fried and needs replacing but even if you manage to find a guaranteed working board now, replace it, don't be disappointed if it becomes damaged again or the machine still doesn't run if other components that could be faulty haven't been replaced.

You will do well these days to find genuinely guaranteed working boards and if you do, expect to have deep pockets as they won't be cheap...

My thoughts as requested.

Good luck.

• Like 3