No more chr chips... :)

25 minutes ago, Player said:

I always thought the CHAR performed logical operations. Does it just store values that the ROM needs to work correctly. I thought the CHAR was programmed like a FPGA and was a custom IC. 

What it does is patches to stop the protection part of the Chr check running, also stops the Rom checksum being ran, and then reroutes lamp code that would talk to the Chr chip to my (portable) routine, that based on the challenge in the register, puts the correct responce for the lamp column ref'd by the challenge in the register, then returns. Pad a few NOPs over the remaining Chr lamp code and Bob's your uncle :) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Ignoring BWBs, one of your mates ain't gonna be happy🤣 

Anyway chop chop AS takes priority😁

Don't worry - very much planning to wind the time spent on this side project down to a manageable level, that allows AS to get progressing again.  They're both cool projects to be fair ;)   But I think I can strike a balance :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, johnparker007 said:

Don't worry - very much planning to wind the time spent on this side project down to a manageable level, that allows AS to get progressing again.  They're both cool projects to be fair ;)   But I think I can strike a balance :) 

I have no doubt you will find a balance John, from 3D renderer to AS to CPR........ what next..... cracking sec on mabs or frying eggs on me laptop??

It hasn't even been a year since you started, it is quite funny that on 4th October last year I said " I'm just wondering what you will come up with next, great stuff and keep it up:D"  on your Development Updates thread over in LaLa Land, quite ironic and had absolutely no clue what your main move was going to be (AS), then CPR which I know will make a fair few happy, don't piss anyone off though;):whistle:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

I have no doubt you will find a balance John, from 3D renderer to AS to CPR........ what next..... cracking sec on mabs or frying eggs on me laptop??

It hasn't even been a year since you started, it is quite funny that on 4th October last year I said " I'm just wondering what you will come up with next, great stuff and keep it up:D"  on your Development Updates thread over in LaLa Land, quite ironic and had absolutely no clue what your main move was going to be (AS), then CPR which I know will make a fair few happy, don't piss anyone off though;):whistle:

Hopefully it'll not piss anyone off, though I guess it might depress the value of spare MPU4 Chr chips for machines than can now be patched, so apologies if anyone was stockpiling those! :) 

Hopefully two are going to be tested in real machines for the first time over the weekend (that are missing working Chr chips); Super Hyper Viper, and Classic Adders & Ladders.  Let's hope it all actually works lol ;)   Though I'm pretty confident they should (famous last words)...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, superbank said:

Excellent news, and thanks for sharing the information! :)

I have a friend who has a Cash Counter machine missing the CHR so if this could be done so that the machine actually runs then he'd be over the moon.

I've added it to the list  :)  I can't get it running in MFME though, says "NO DATAPORT COMM", so I'll need to get it working with help from the layout whizzes over on DIF first (so I can test the patch when it's done).

• Like 2

An amusing little find :)  So when they made Blue Moon, they were using a new routine for Chr Protection / ROM Checksum disabling.  But, they left lots of fake 'signatures' in, seven of them!  I think these were intentionally placed to confuse ROM hackers (who would have been burning ROMs, then trying them in the machine, then seeing it'd not worked, over and over), it's a very unlikely amount of false positives :)  

image.thumb.png.4a67a4ebb40257a0ab846f46fa7bab76.png

Blue Moon now working fine without Chr chip :) 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, johnparker007 said:

An amusing little find :)  So when they made Blue Moon, they were using a new routine for Chr Protection / ROM Checksum disabling.  But, they left lots of fake 'signatures' in, seven of them!  I think these were intentionally placed to confuse ROM hackers (who would have been burning ROMs, then trying them in the machine, then seeing it'd not worked, over and over), it's a very unlikely amount of false positives :)  

is that why some of the lamps was not correct it was close but a few lamps was out in the blue moon 

Edited by stonyat421
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, stonyat421 said:

is that why some of the lamps was not correct it was close but a few lamps was out in the blue moon 

Oh yeah, I see what you mean, they're not going across from left to right in that bottom Blue Moon logo!  Strange - I'll make a note, have a look into that when I get chance :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stonyat421 said:

Phew - it's all ok :)  I used the original layout, with the emulated Chr chip data and the original unpatched ROM - the lamps are still jumbled on that bottom Blue Moon logo!   

So it's a either a bug in the layout, or in the 8x 'magic' values set up for this machine.  If someone has a real Blue Moon they need doing, and the lamps are wrong with the CPR rom, we can quickly enough (by trial and  error in MFME), get it sorted on both the layout and the resultant Rom.  But it's not a bug with the patcher itself :) 

(I also did a couple more test machines that use this system, and didn't notice any lamp issues).

Edited by johnparker007
  • Like 3

The bug will be the layout John.  When people make the layouts it can be a bit of a guessing game to get those belly glass lamps assigned correctly, especially without a reel lamp guide from the machine manual. 

Awesome work on this stuff mate ;)

J

• Like 3

7 hours ago, orchid said:

The bug will be the layout John.  When people make the layouts it can be a bit of a guessing game to get those belly glass lamps assigned correctly, especially without a reel lamp guide from the machine manual. 

Awesome work on this stuff mate ;)

J

Yeah, did seem weird since all the other rom, if they boot with the patch, the lamps work perfectly :) 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 9:42 PM, johnparker007 said:

I have a Blue Moon here that pays out an

Invisible 50p when I have wins that have

60p or 80p in them.

There is no 50p solenoid,and I have tried the rom cart 

in my other machines.

Duane tested it all for me and reckons I have an early

software version and I need a new cart with the later

roms and chr chip to test his theory?

Had a very quick look at trying it on BWB machines... since they also have the characteriser and the lamp stuff on the chr chip.

So I tried Andy Capp BWB and it didn't work, but the Barcrest one does... but, then tried Super Hyper Viper BWB... and it worked! :)  So based on that massive trial of 2 machines, it shows that it can patch at least some BWBs... I'll do some more tests at some point, it's just getting the time at the mo.

If anyone has a BWB machine they need a patch for, hit me up and I can check pretty quickly if it'll work with this  early version of the patcher - and sort you out a Chr free version of your Rom if it does :) 

Here's Super Hyper Viper BWB version running without Chr chip installed:

• Like 1