Jump to content

BFM Lucky 2's (electro)


netdent
 Share

Recommended Posts

At long last I have spent some time giving this classic some tlc! Had it a few years and picked it up at a local auction house, it worked when I picked it up but needed a good clean and service. This is happening now, I have the reel deck stripped and the clutches soaking in neatsfoot oil as per Ron's guide.

I guess I will need to look at the control deck, I'm getting some squeking whilst in credit from one of the modules, looks to be the one at the very back?

Also the earthing looks suspect? I see an earth wire has been extended and was hanging loose? Looks like it might have earthed the control deck? Maybe you could advise me Ron, should be clear in the pics.

Cheers Ronnie

 

 

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Lucky Twos, Just a basic game but a great pocket money machine.

Those Earth wires were often left off by engineers on site and often had to put them all back in workshops.

Having said that there were not as many connections as really should have. Originally taken from the Earth connection at the back of the Bulgin socket and one connected looped to the Mains switch plate on back door, All the rest were in the same loop so a connection to the main control panel via it's shelf mounting bolt, A connection to the payslides via one of their mounting bolts, sometimes the metal coin chutes from the slides to front cups would have one and possibly one up to the coin mechs. All depends if they still there or have been completely removed. Not PAT test friendly.

The squeaking timer is possibly the variator at the back top right side, it has one of the early ones in that metal housing and they did tend to get a bit noisy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BF74 said:

I like Lucky Twos, Just a basic game but a great pocket money machine.

Those Earth wires were often left off by engineers on site and often had to put them all back in workshops.

Having said that there were not as many connections as really should have. Originally taken from the Earth connection at the back of the Bulgin socket and one connected looped to the Mains switch plate on back door, All the rest were in the same loop so a connection to the main control panel via it's shelf mounting bolt, A connection to the payslides via one of their mounting bolts, sometimes the metal coin chutes from the slides to front cups would have one and possibly one up to the coin mechs. All depends if they still there or have been completely removed. Not PAT test friendly.

The squeaking timer is possibly the variator at the back top right side, it has one of the early ones in that metal housing and they did tend to get a bit noisy. 

Thanks Ron, I like it too, one I remember playing back in the day, it sat beside lots of Brenco machines, the cool bit for it's time is the credit counter, had to clean that up as it was sticky.

I might sort the earth out, I see one was left adrift on the 2p pay slide!

Cheers Ronnie

This one will take pride of place in out log cabin, just need to clear it with the wife!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good fun to play. Plenty of holds, and a good selection of cherry payouts seem to keep it interesting.

The credit counter chatters away to you, as you play. A three-digit counter, with just two figures showing. It must have been already in stock, for something else. You can rack up hundreds of plays on it, the third column works. 

Have you got the token payout option? Bells can be set for either 27-ways pays 10p, or 9-ways pays 25p token. It takes the very-elaborate BFM individually-numbered token, with all the lucky symbols around the edge. You can get them in twos or threes from eBay, if you keep your eyes open. Beware of the opportunists; they are NOT worth £9 each!

There are interesting after-market conversions of this machine...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Brigham said:

Good fun to play. Plenty of holds, and a good selection of cherry payouts seem to keep it interesting.

The credit counter chatters away to you, as you play. A three-digit counter, with just two figures showing. It must have been already in stock, for something else. You can rack up hundreds of plays on it, the third column works. 

Have you got the token payout option? Bells can be set for either 27-ways pays 10p, or 9-ways pays 25p token. It takes the very-elaborate BFM individually-numbered token, with all the lucky symbols around the edge. You can get them in twos or threes from eBay, if you keep your eyes open. Beware of the opportunists; they are NOT worth £9 each!

There are interesting after-market conversions of this machine...

Yes it has the 25p token mech fitted, I think one of the switches on the reel deck changes the option? Not got any tokens for it, well I might have one somewhere lol or was that a 5p one! I even have the cards to go in the glass to change the win along with the manual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those credit counters were standard so as to fit both AWP and club electros, and will go past 99 into three figures.

The non replayable 25p token payout slide fitted at the front but still over the pay chute was a regular service call for engineers had to refill them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reel deck assembled and fitted today, all good with the reels now.

Than all sorts of shit happens! Start button not starting! 10p credit not crediting! stopped paying out!

As I suspected most of the spades on the timers are shot! Will replace what I can just now but doubt I have enough crimp spades!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I managed to scrape together enough spades, it's now playing fine again which is great, but 2 issues I have noticed, it's mostly paying out fine but! I got 2 oranges and a star it never paid out? Not had any other combination with the star as yet.

The insert coin light only comes on when it's paying out then goes out when the lockout solenoids release?

 

Cheers Ronnie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2021 at 6:08 PM, netdent said:

I managed to scrape together enough spades, it's now playing fine again which is great, but 2 issues I have noticed, it's mostly paying out fine but! I got 2 oranges and a star it never paid out? Not had any other combination with the star as yet.

The insert coin light only comes on when it's paying out then goes out when the lockout solenoids release?

 

Cheers Ronnie

The insert coin lamp is controlled by two cam switches. Cs1 on the main control timer and Cs21 on the payout timer.

With mentioned no payout on three oranges and star, there should be two switches on reels. One to change the Bells from 10p to 25p token and the other is actually to give an option on the oranges of a 10p coin or 5x2p depending on which way its switched. With there being three wires connected, If wires off that switch or wired wrong will disable oranges payout.

 

Edited by BF74
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BF74 said:

The insert coin lamp is controlled by two cam switches. Cs1 on the main control timer and Cs21 on the payout timer.

With mentioned no payout on three oranges and star, there should be two switches on reels. One to change the Bells from 10p to 25p token and the other is actually to give an option on the oranges of a 10p coin or 5x2p depending on which way its switched. With there being three wires connected, If wires off that switch or wired wrong will disable oranges payout.

 

 

Thanks Ron, it seems to pay a 10p coin for all wins I have had, oddly it paid out 2 x 2p coins for I think 2 pears and a star! I will look at those switches on the reels, not sure what switch is what as the labels must have fallen off, I noticed the reel deck also has 2 relays fitted?

The insert coin light I'm not sure how it should behave? It comes on when I insert a 10p coin while the counter is pulsing credits or whilst the 2p slider is pulsing then goes out when the lockout coils energise?

 

Cheers Ronnie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As it has a credit counter, The insert coin should stay lit up before any games played and should go out once start button pressed, the lockouts close and game started.

It should light again when lockouts open at end of game

Basically, Cs 1 cuts supply to lamp as soon as game starts and control timer starts it's full cycle and switches supply back to lamp when control timer is back at start position

Cs21 on the payout timer will keep light out during payout until finished cycle.

The two relays on the reels are the Gold Star relays 'A' & 'B'

B is only for Pears and Oranges, A is for the rest.

Edited by BF74
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for this Ron, will try and find Cs 1 on control timer and Cs21 on the payout timer and make sure the switches are good, I have replaced all the spades on the timers I'm sure I put them all back correctly

 

Cheers Ronnie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Ron, should these be wired N/C or N/O? I suspect N/C to switch lamp on when timer not rotating.

Looked at the switch on the reels with 3 wires, the spades are secure, so not sure on the payout issue or how to troubleshoot.

 

Thanks Ronnie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Ron, the Cs21 was on the wrong contact, swapped it over to the other lug and light is correct now.

I toggled the switch with 3 wires on the reel deck and will see what happens, I might need to live with payout issue

 

Cheers Ronnie

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the payout problem,

Remove one wire from the reel motor and test all the different win lines by manually setting the symbols on the win line and play the credit.

As the reel motor is disconnected the reel solenoids will lift and drop as normal but reels won't spin and machine will play the game and payout the set win.

This will show how many win lines are correct and those not paying out.

You can remove one wire from all three reel solenoids rather than motor for same result. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, BF74 said:

On the payout problem,

Remove one wire from the reel motor and test all the different win lines by manually setting the symbols on the win line and play the credit.

As the reel motor is disconnected the reel solenoids will lift and drop as normal but reels won't spin and machine will play the game and payout the set win.

This will show how many win lines are correct and those not paying out.

You can remove one wire from all three reel solenoids rather than motor for same result. 

Cheers Ron, I will give that a bash

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...