JPM Super CHANCE.

Brigham

Next is this big ugly clubber.

Not even a front start bar to make it interesting.

I bought this 'because it was there'.

The inside is full of 6v lamps hanging out of melted and shattered plastic mouldings. The win-line is between two rows of symbols.

I'll give it a run; but it looks like it's heading straight back into the shed.001.thumb.jpg.2d4e50de932b3032ccdc6f57850a751e.jpg

• Like 3

A classic JPM club electro, We operated loads of them when many WMC still had one arm pullers so the upgrade to this put their takings through the roof.

Service wise they were brilliant it was the cabinet that let them down, Much like JPMs AWP machines in that same cabinet had the nasty habit of coming apart.

Sad to hear this one is in need of much TLC and missing it's embossed JPM start button.

• Like 1

I've just done a good deal for 500 ten-bob bits, so, seeing as this is a known and well-liked clubber, I'm going to give it some further attention.

I can't work out how the winline has moved entirely below the line on the glass. 

I suppose that the notches on the payout discs could have worn half-a-stop further on, over the years, but that would surely stop it paying out properly.

Perhaps it DOESN'T pay out properly...

• Like 1

Check the reel bands have not slipped, Most electro machine reel bands are held by double sided sticky tape.

70s tape was not as quality as today's so it tended to either melt with heat build up in the machine or just give up and come apart.

Either way the reel bands would slip and usually below the win line due to the sudden stopping of the solenoids.

This happened even when the machines were new so expect no different after many years. 

I've cleaned the win studs and wipers with Servisol, and all wins now register correctly.

It seems the reel bands have indeed worked forward on the reels over the years, and now display below the win-line.

The melted plastic mouldings are not beyond repair. I've tackled the worst one with an industrial double-sided tape which peels off to leave a strong adhesive mesh. The HOLD lights are now flashing, and back in their proper place. The 'ODDS' column lights are next...

• Like 1

Splendid progress these last two days.

The ODDS column lights had nothing left for them to clip into, the heat damage having been so bad.

Each strip of three was mounted into a new base cut from acrylic sheet, with correctly-spaced holes made with a punch. These six strips were then fastened to the remains of the original mouldings using the previously-mentioned adhesive tape.

As the reels turn, the vertical strips alternate between 'normal' and 'super' odds. The effect is quite distinctive; and familiar. I remember these now, in the clubs. They were played almost continuously, only getting a rest during the bingo.

The reel strips being out-of-register was a problem. I didn't want to risk damage, so I took the easy way out and packed the front of the reel deck with a quarter-inch lath. This lifted the front of the reel mech so that the win-line on the glass corresponded to the line on the reels. Solved for now!

The cabinet is grimy. Once that is cleaned-up, it's ready for use.

• Like 2

One point to keep check on Superchance is the tin payout chutes from under the slides to the payout tray.

As they are at a bit of a shallow angle, They often needed cleaning as coins used to get stuck leading to players having to tip the machine forward to get stuck coins to drop out.

I would suspect the chute on this one having not been cleaned for some time and possibly rust setting in.

It consistently paid one coin short every time.

Banging the bottom of the payout chute delivered the missing coin.

Removal, and a good polish with Scotchbrite sorted it nicely!

• Like 1

This machine reminds me of one particular service call.

I had one Superchance give holds after wins on the Kings, Queens and Aces

Did not believe until tried it out and there it was hold after win. Not all the time but only if there would have been a hold selected for next game but that should have been cancelled by the wins.

Bit of a head scratcher until realised two pins on the underside of just one relay were wired the wrong way around so came from JPMs factory like that.

Rang JPM to let them know what I had found in case there were more out there but they just thought I was taking the piss.

• Like 3