JPM, my view from the inside. Frank Bird.

Frank Bird

Nice article Ron

i was going to ask frank about his dealings with Rodstock(one of JPMs main distributors)as they where only about 3 miles from where I live and I've been there on many occasion plus bought machines off them as they would sell to the public.

Sadly the old Rodstock site is now houses  :(

Edit:

Here you go frank

Edited by Road Runner

On 6/25/2019 at 8:48 PM, Road Runner said:

Nice article Ron

i was going to ask frank about his dealings with Rodstock(one of JPMs main distributors)as they where only about 3 miles from where I live and I've been there on many occasion plus bought machines off them as they would sell to the public.

Sadly the old Rodstock site is now houses  :(

Edit:

Here you go frank

I used to visit at least once a month, remember the Wigan Pies but didn't know what the hell a barm cake was! I stayed at the hotel they owned, damned if I can remember the name. I did a lot of training for them as well, we hired a couple of bingo halls and brought in loads of engineers - more of that in later recollections.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Bird said:

I used to visit at least once a month, remember the Wigan Pies but didn't know what the hell a barm cake was! I stayed at the hotel they owned, damned if I can remember the name. I did a lot of training for them as well, we hired a couple of bingo halls and brought in loads of engineers - more of that in later recollections.  

Im not sure how many they had but I know they owned this one for some time.

https://www.google.co.uk/travel/hotels/keighley court standish/entity/CgsI27LK2YHxj6usARAB/photos?g2lb=2502547%2C4208993%2C4223281%2C4253230%2C4254308%2C4258168%2C4260007%2C4262509%2C4265959%2C4274032%2C4274649%2C4250437%2C4251519%2C4263909%2C4265427%2C4270859&hl=en&gl=uk&un=1&q=keighley court standish&rp=OAJAAEgB&ictx=1&ved=0ahUKEwi3murB7onjAhUySxUIHauqBBsQoioIcDAA&hrf=KhYKBwjjDxAGGB0SBwjjDxAGGB4YASAB&tcfs=EhoaGAoKMjAxOS0wNi0yORIKMjAxOS0wNi0zMCIYCgoyMDE5LTA2LTI5EgoyMDE5LTA2LTMwUgA

This one is close to where i live and it's still used by the odd football team when playing Wigan Athletic.

Edited by Road Runner
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2019 at 9:15 PM, sulzerned said:

Exactly what i was thinking too grah. I remember those 80s arcades very well .

Hey guys let's not forget there were many more pubs than arcades in those days and in truth arcades didn't necessarily have the latest product. At that time we had to change products every 6 to 8 weeks and these filtered down to secondary sites etc.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, BF74 said:

After spotting an eBay sale for 10 L&F 92250 described as pass keys, I remember all our new delivered JPM machines arrived with loads of those keys.

With two locks on back door and one on the outer cash door were All L&F 92250.

Only the inner cash door were of different numbered keys and then the standard refill key used on all JPM machines of that era too.

Just wondered how many of those L&F locks JPM used and how many 92250 keys.?

Every single machine had and 92250 key on the outer cash box and the back doors. 

• Like 1

On 27 June 2019 at 11:05 PM, Frank Bird said:

That's the one...   Good times, used to have a banging disco....

It had a night club in the 80s and 90s and I went there a few times myself(admittedly it wasn't my regular one as its in the middle of nowhere and taxis where few and far between)

my missus worked as a chef there for a while in the 80s plus  most of the builders who worked on its conversion to a hotel lived in the same village as me but it took far longer than it should have to build.(I remember this because 90% of them would go for a few lunchtime scoops in a pub a short distance away and never return that day).

Edit

I was chatting with the wife yesterday about her time working as a chef at kilhey court and she remembers being told that Rodstock enterprises had purchased the hotel (around 85-87ish) and they are her new employer.They still owned the hotel when she left around 1990

I think Rodstock went out of business a year or two later because they used to hold car boot sales at Rodstocks old premises in the mid 90s.(we would go there the odd Sunday morning and i remember walking round the boot sale and reminiscing about my previous visits buying the odd machine).

Edited by Road Runner
  • Like 1

Nice work Ron 

those switches and relays are the noughts and ones of the later MPU machine rom code.

as a matter of fact one of JPMs EM machines called Pool Play has very similar features to the system 80 machine Frog Hop(by that i mean the 3rd reel prize feature)

Edited by Road Runner
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Nice work Ron 

those switches and relays are the noughts and ones of the later MPU machine rom code.

as a matter of fact one of JPMs EM machines called Pool Play has very similar features to the system 80 machine Frog Hop(by that i mean the 3rd reel prize feature)

The panel was out of my Pool Play...😁

pool play reels restored.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BF74 said:

The panel was out of my Pool Play...😁

pool play reels restored.JPG

Thats ts the one Ron

the 8 ball symbols on the first 2 reels have the same function as frog hop symbols IIRC (3rd reel steps down to the next ball with a win on it or lily pad in FH)

i have stus red one for a while(the one that you could nudge up)

i think it was a modded original with extra relays and a nudge up motor.

Edited by Road Runner

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, BF74 said:

After spotting an eBay sale for 10 L&F 92250 described as pass keys, I remember all our new delivered JPM machines arrived with loads of those keys.

With two locks on back door and one on the outer cash door were All L&F 92250.

Only the inner cash door were of different numbered keys and then the standard refill key used on all JPM machines of that era too.

Just wondered how many of those L&F locks JPM used and how many 92250 keys.?

I've probably got a few of those keys, somewhere.

When I was at Bell Fruit (Birmingham, then Bilston) we had the occasional lorry load of JPMs turn up.  First job was to remove the top lock on the back door, then fit a lock from the big box of locks salvaged from scrap machines.

Reading this thread really does take me back.

Edit: Oddly enough, having looked through my key collection - another weird hobby - I can't find any 92250s.  However, I have found half a dozen 92208s, which I have a feeling may have been from Maygay machines,  but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by daveo138
Updated
  • Like 1

On 20 August 2019 at 7:49 PM, CanonMan said:

Has anyone seen Frank lately?

Still looking forward to more of his recollections on the good old days at JPM.

Yep

looking forward to franks recollections from around 78-88(JPMs heyday IMHO)

• Like 3