JPM, my view from the inside. Frank Bird.

Frank Bird

2 minutes ago, sulzerned said:

Thanks for that Frank. Another lovely read and nice to see everyone at the factory mucking in together. Late night fish and chips does sound appealing !

At this stage did you ever wonder what the other big companies like bellfruit were doing and what perks they had to offer for your skills ?

To be honest I was happy to be using my head and not my hands and I had no focus other than my willingness to work and be rewarded.

I had no bigger vision as it were.

Regards Frank    

In the early days at Bell Fruit it sounds very similar (1994). There were temps that often got laid off as soon as the work dropped. Good week we was doing 600 - 800 machines a week and overtime was unlimited. We got an attendance bonus which worked out at around £500 which was a lot of money back then.

I started on £120 a week bit could earn £300 with overtime. At 16 and being used to £5 pocket money was a huge boost :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jpm was deffo ahead of its time on work and reward ethic(more so considering frank is recalling the company setup during the 70s)  

top stuff frank keep the inside info flowing.

Edited by Road Runner
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, superbank said:

Fantastic write up Frank, very good insight of the company at its prime. :)

Those JPM t-shirts would be worth a few bob these days. Did you manage to keep one?

Sorry fella no, we never dreamt in a million years that they would be a collectors item!

I do remember feeling a right pr3£k at the time doing a photo shoot and I can remember the crazy old colourful (ooh matron) coot taking the photos. He was playing the "Ink Spots" over and over again on a huge pair of corner mounted Tanoy speakers which I envied!  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, superbank said:

Fantastic write up Frank, very good insight of the company at its prime. :)

Those JPM t-shirts would be worth a few bob these days. Did you manage to keep one?

Ha you beat me to it Superbank.

I need to get up earlier hehehe.

Another great write up Frank

Working at Visual Art printing JPM glasses etc

I was on £30 a week but were rewarded bonuses

for overtime and staying late to get orders completed

early. Great days I must say.

Looking forward to your next chapter mate.

Great topic👍👍👍

• Like 3

Find it hard to believe that jpm had that kind of %of the market at that time .would have thought it would have been split 35/35with barcrest and then the other companies like bellfruit have a share of the rest of the market 

9 hours ago, sulzerned said:

Find it hard to believe that jpm had that kind of %of the market at that time .would have thought it would have been split 35/35with barcrest and then the other companies like bellfruit have a share of the rest of the market 

It does seem a very high percentage Nick. If you walked into an arcade in the mid 80's then it certainly wouldn't have been 55-75% JPM machines. There were an awful lot of Barcrest MPU2 and MPU3 machines as well as plenty from ACE, Bell Fruit and Maygay.

If I could only get this Tardis working then I'd take a few photo's to prove it! :)

18 minutes ago, superbank said:

It does seem a very high percentage Nick. If you walked into an arcade in the mid 80's then it certainly wouldn't have been 55-75% JPM machines. There were an awful lot of Barcrest MPU2 and MPU3 machines as well as plenty from ACE, Bell Fruit and Maygay.

If I could only get this Tardis working then I'd take a few photo's to prove it! :)

Exactly what i was thinking too grah. I remember those 80s arcades very well .

2 hours ago, superbank said:

I reckon the industry "Coin Slot" didn't always print the facts, highly likely they were "influenced" ;)

After spotting an eBay sale for 10 L&F 92250 described as pass keys, I remember all our new delivered JPM machines arrived with loads of those keys.

With two locks on back door and one on the outer cash door were All L&F 92250.

Only the inner cash door were of different numbered keys and then the standard refill key used on all JPM machines of that era too.

Just wondered how many of those L&F locks JPM used and how many 92250 keys.?