Pics of my Barcrest / PCP 'Silvapots' machine (resurrected from the dead!)

Obli

I've just signed up to the site so hello to everyone! :wave:

EDIT: I have an old PCP fruit machine called Silvapots. According to the manual, Silvapots is a conversion of Barcrest Lucky Strike / Royal Exchange machines. My manual also covers another conversion called Moneypots, which would have had different decals / stickers and the jackpot payout could be either £100 or £150.

Silvapots is a 4-reel club machine I believe from the early / mid eighties. 5p a spin and £80 jackpot (although some conversions could be for £60 jackpot, personal preference I guess). I have had her about 12 - 14 years. I was about to give her away for free as she hadn't been working for years! However, after putting up a post at Fruit-Emu in the classifieds, I felt some regret (getting a new machine as a replacement wouldn't have been the same) and felt inspired once more to have a go at fixing her (especially after reading some posts on this site).

A while ago I replaced a 40v 4700 microfarad capacitor, checked the fuses (they were ok) and removed the transformer assembly. Don't ask, I didn't / don't really know what I am doing so that was about my limits! Today, I had to drill out the lock on the lower front panel to get inside (I had locked the transformer assembly inside and the key didn't work!). After reading a post here about an MPU3 problem, I tried re-seating the ROM cartridge. I re-assembled everything and switched her on - I couldn't believe my eyes, she was alive again and working perfectly! She's a great machine to play, very simple with great sound effects!

I thought I would share some pics of my machine with you guys. Do any of you ever remember Moneypots (or this conversion, 'Silvapots') ? Having been using fruit machine emulators for a few years now, I can't say I've seen an emulated version of either one these machines. Google returns zero results for either machine. Is it that rare?

Would anyone be interested in emulating this machine? If so, please get in touch with me and I'll help in any way I can.

Enjoy the pics!

2335.attach

2336.attach

2337.attach

2338.attach

I have absolutely no idea! Hopefully someone here will be able to inform us a bit more about this (type) machine. I picked this one up years ago from a local paper for £40 I think.

EDIT: If you meant the jackpot (re: how common were they?), I've never had one! I have 'nudged' one in (4 red triple-bars) by cheating in test mode =)

No idea about £80 jackpots but I checked the rom dat and these roms aint in it a start would be getting em dumped and trying them in MFME.

alth

I agree. Getting the roms dumped would be the first port of call. That way, if the machine can't get fixed, at least it will be emulated.

There are a couple of nice people on here (Liam, and Canonman), who could get the roms dumped, if you can send them off to them.

Always nice to see a machine you have never seen before. :)

Yeah. Get the roms dumped. These chaps on the scene will take total care so theres really nothing to worry about. You'll have them returned in tip-top condition too.

The plus side is that if your original chips breaks down, and they have been dumped, it's just a matter of running off some copies onto blank rom chips and your machine is back in business.

2 good reasons there for a start. :)

Remove the battery?

Should it be replaced, or just removed? Where can I find the battery and what does it look like? I read a few scary sounding posts regarding exploding ni-cad batteries but I still haven't seen such a part inside the machine.

I shall get in touch with CanonMan regarding getting the ROMs dumped.

system80: Is that machine German? I've seen a few similar machines when visiting there. My uncle had one in his basement and a few pubs I visited had them Only thing I remember (apart from being half-size and attached to the wall) was that they weren't very interactive. You could put in a Deutschmark / Euro (was a long time ago!) and the machine would run by itself. The one I remember had lots of spinning dials. Pretty cool though!

Thanks all for the help.

Remove the battery?

Should it be replaced, or just removed? Where can I find the battery and what does it look like? I read a few scary sounding posts regarding exploding ni-cad batteries but I still haven't seen such a part inside the machine

you can probably just remove it, but the game will play better if you replace it - with a coincell like on the pc motherboard.

i posted instructions on it here in the forums.

remove the mpu and take the screw out of each side,

then hinge the top open and you will see the battery, it's usually blue or green.

they leak and trash the circuitboard if you leave them in.

That machine looks like it's got half of the bible and War and Peace printed on the glass.

:D

yea, german law,

it has to have detailed descriptions of how to play and all of the game features.

it also has to have a minimum age warning - top-right next to the coinslot.

and a helpline for gambling addiction - top-right next to the coinslot under the age warning.

and the machine-serial clearly displayed for inspection - top-left through the glass.

and the site-license clearly displayed for inspection - bottom-left in the payout-tray.

fucking hilarious unless your the artist trying to design the glass on these machines - dont get me started on the "E60" accounting system!!!!

EDIT: I have an old PCP fruit machine called Silvapots. According to the manual, Silvapots is a conversion of Barcrest Lucky Strike / Royal Exchange machines. My manual also covers another conversion called Moneypots, which would have had different decals / stickers and the jackpot payout could be either £100 or £150.

I read the manual closely last night and I was wrong about the origins of my machine. My machine is derived from Barcrest's Lucky Strike / Royal Exchange machines and not a macine called Moneypots. Moneypots was an alternative conversion kit from PCP and my manual covers the conversion for Moneypots and Silvapots.

I'm not quite sure why I am writing all this as I don't know if anyones interested... :D I'm just curious to know my machine's origins and I'm also amazed that no-one seems to recognise it (considering the experience some of you guys must have!).

Were such conversion kits common-place? i.e. could there have been tens / hundreds of conversions of a Lucky Strike / Royal Exchange machine?

Now, i may be only 19, but sorry mate, thats definately NOT a Lucky Strike / Royal Exchange conversion. There is no gamble wheel for a start, and neither lucky strike nor Royal Exchange had cash pots.

Are you thinking it's just a straight reglass? I should imagine that the 7 seg displays were supplied as part of the conversion kit. Maybe the Lucky Strike / Royal Exchange base units were the only cabinets the conversion would fit? (It is a taller machine than usual, and requiring four reels.)

I can't recall PCP ever doing a reglass, just new games with their own roms, etc.

Ah bugger - thought it was too good to be true. She's died again :(

Plugged her in tonight, neon light above reels comes on, nothing else. Quite a loud humming / buzzing coming from down below (near PSU). Display is blank for a while then finally comes up with 'CCCCCCCCCCCCCC'. Reels have some kind of power as they 'step' round if I turn them by hand.

Tried re-plugging in connections and rom cartridge while the power was off. No luck when I plug her back in. That's all I can try as I'm clueless with these machines!

Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions / knowledge that they could share with me please?

first thing, get the mpu open and remove the battery.

then see if it did any damage.

very good chance it did!

next, voltmeter on the 5v line and see if it is 5v or not.

finally, get the eproms reprogrammed, the factory datasheets say that the data-retention span of eproms is 10years.

the resiliance of these parts amazes me, i cllect video-games and have stuff from 1977 that still runs, thats almost 3 times the rated life!!