Just got this

Louie Bee

Grabbed another non runner - one I've said I'm not keen on as I always used to get ripped off by.

Thought if I can't get it running plenty of useful bits for my plus nudge.

post-3101-0-13973600-1372633639_thumb.jpg

post-3101-0-53714500-1372633660_thumb.jpg

post-3101-0-75829000-1372633647_thumb.jpg Glass not too bad - just 1 crack on top glass - is OK for me.

post-3101-0-69857200-1372633663_thumb.jpg---- Cab is in better shape than the one I had a go at removing mold from.

post-3101-0-13789200-1372633680_thumb.jpg

I didn't have a look inside before I came home...

post-3101-0-22464400-1372633694_thumb.jpg

post-3101-0-00950400-1372633701_thumb.jpg

post-3101-0-76139900-1372633712_thumb.jpg

post-3101-0-18593100-1372633720_thumb.jpg -----The guy said it never took 50p coins. I guessed it was on old 50's

post-3101-0-46533100-1372633622_thumb.jpg ---- Reel bands seem OK but what's that lubricant for?

Edited by Louie Bee

First job remove the battery from the MPU and prey there is not too much battery damage

post-3101-0-75335400-1372634128_thumb.jpg

post-3101-0-88811700-1372634136_thumb.jpg ---- Erm where is the battery?

Result!!!! 

No battery damage as it's barley seen a battery over its life :)

post-3101-0-20464600-1372634144_thumb.jpg -- just a couple of joints to re flow as it looks like a pot, lamp resistor and transistor have been replaced at some point and joint don't look too gook (I can't really talk)

lets open the power box

post-3101-0-17262300-1372634161_thumb.jpg

post-3101-0-72271600-1372634165_thumb.jpg ---- is it wasp powered?

post-3101-0-81741000-1372634170_thumb.jpg ---- Rifas look good - still better off out - grabbed 2 line filters the other week as I just had that feeling I'd need another before long

post-3101-0-80845800-1372634110_thumb.jpg ---- Bit of spring light cleaning in here to do and I'll see what she dose. Had 1 fuse out near the transformer - the wasp looks guilty to me - do they conduct?

Edited by Louie Bee

Thanks guys! I think this one may be a little easier than Plus Nudge was.

It's out with the old - in with the older at my place at the moment. :grin::

Something Stu said when I visited to drop in some parts for Vinny B)

After cleaning and checking the fuses in the PSU I found my spare line filter on (took me ages to find the bugger) then realized it already had a 3A line filter hiding under the sheath. :clap:

Put power to it and all seemed OK.

connected it to the MPU and I got nothing on the figure of 8 - no reset, no 5V LED.

Tried the MPU in my plus nudge and it gave mux time out dipping off and on.

Put my plus nudge card in and it mux timed out a couple of times, then booted :clap: :clap: :clap::) :)

Put the NDU card back in and after a few mux time outs it booted and palyed - took coins & paid out :o :o :oB)8) 8) 8)  :grin:: Result!!

Never seen a mux time out on the other MPU - The one Alan sorted - Think I read it could be a couple of resistors out of tolerance?? Will do a search tomorrow.

Back on the NDU PSI I get nothing at the 5V pins - it's a yellow sticker which I think is a switch mode.

Anyone wanna have a guess what's wrong in the PSU before I investigate? It had a fuse blown on the transformer which I replaced (second one up from the bottom) - not opened it up again to check it, but the external fuses are OK. I checked with a multimeter this time - not a torch LOL.

Couple of quotes from my plus nudge thread...

Pretty much what Vinny said!

The red unit is of an unreliable switch mode design, whereas the yellow/orange are of a much simpler linear design.

attachicon.giflinear_versus_switching.pdf

There is also a much rarer blue label switch mode unit which is supposed to be an improvement over the red.

These are the boards from a red label...

attachicon.gifRed Label Boards.JPG

On the left is the interconnect board and on the right is the dreaded switch mode board.

Yay it's not the switch mode - was thinking it can't be as I have a big transformer.

Anyone wanna have a guess what's wrong in the PSU before I investigate? It had a fuse blown on the transformer which I replaced (second one up from the bottom) - not opened it up again to check it, but the external fuses are OK. I checked with a multimeter this time - not a torch LOL.

The 5v adjustment pots are known for being a bit crappy, so I'd replace that first.

Yes please Vinny!!

The 5v adjustment pots are known for being a bit crappy, so I'd replace that first.

Thanks!

I replaced vr3 as track end to end was too low, then was too high by the time I'd de soldered it.

I gave the board a better clean and still blew transformer protection fuse on the 5V coil. back to the drawing board tomorrow

Little update

On the PSU I found a rectifying diode has internal short circuit on the 5V line – thanks to TTX’s “lift one leg out of the board†advise it’s much easier to fault find thanks!!

Popped in Maplins on the way home and picked up a new 1N5402. fitted it and tested the 5V line – still no 5V Grr but the fuse is not popping any longer – that’s a step in the right direction.

I decided that I’ll need to compare values with the working red MPS power supply so I reluctantly removed it from plus nudge.

I then thought let’s just try the working PSU in NDU…

Fitted up and took 10p coins Yay, so I soldered a battery on and played for a bit.

Hang on it’s not paying out. meter is clicking but no cash out

not taking coins other than 10p… so I filled up the 10p’s over the level sensor - still won’t take other coins.

Tried a known good coin mec and still won’t take anything other than 10p coins.

Managed to loose a few lights too – centre reel lamps, couple of bits of the credit display, 1 nudge lamp which were working earlier.

Tried flicking dip switches made no difference, then remembered that I only tested this MPU with 10p in and paid out in 10p.

I tried the known good MPU and pays out (was trying to pay 20p coins first)

Takes all coins with it’s original mec (well it traps 50p coins but they are no longer locked out)

Got all my lights back.

Plays better than I remember!! I may have been thinking of the MK5

Not sure if the MPU don’t like the battery I put on or if the faults were already there – I’ll investigate one by one.

Will have a compare on the Yellow label PSU. Perhaps it’s the regulator or op amp…???

Edited by Louie Bee

Worth a try, but I'd have thought the lamping etc might be different. Worth a try tho I guess.

Perhaps - could always extend the loom - I prefer the sounds of the MK III to the MK IV

Before you waste time burning roms etc, try them in the emulator and see if lamps are correct?

Nice machine BTW - I like MPS :)

Thanks for the tip - not sure how to change the rom and keep the layout, but If i could find the MK3 and 4 emulations I could check the reel bands match - thanks for the suggestion!!

Was thinking my payout issue was only tested on JP so I checked I did't have a token jackpot selected on my DILS. thinks for the EWN MK3 switch setting upload vinny / TTX My DUN MK4 is the same

- hmm yes I did - token JP and no token mec in the machine.

Had a play and confirmed I got no payout for £1 or 10p - yes no payout LOL.

I cleaned some pins up on the coin mec connection and opened out some bent sockets. I now get 10p and £1 payout and takes 10p coins and £1. Just 20p and 50p to get going in, and the 20p payout to test - don't think I'll use the 20p payout - straight to cashbox for 20p coins I think.

Over to the lamps...

I tracked the lamp fault to the Q2 area and noticed that R2 was open circuit. For once I found the right value, but maybe it's overkill?

post-3101-0-88432000-1373066942_thumb.jpg

Lamps that were stuck off are now stuck on - so I'll have to have another look.

if the resistor was open then replace the transistor as well, the resistors are safety ones designed to go open when the transistor fails, so it is imperative it is replaced with the correct type!!! not a bigger rated one!

Edited by andrew96