Jump to content

Barcrest MPU1 Match It Feature Reel Fault


Recommended Posts

Hoping for some words of wisdom.

Match It has developed a fault with its feature reel. 

On selecting 'gamble' the feature reel spins but the symbol shown on the feature reel when it (eventally) stops differs to what the machine has determined the result to be, e.g. feature reel stops on '+10p' but the result the machine actually delivers may be '-10p' or 'collect'. It could by coincidence match what appears on the feature reel. The feature reel also spins for far longer than it normally would, i.e. up to 10 sec instead of 2 or 3 sec.

I've attached a couple of vids. Let me know if further images of vids would help.

Any thoughts about where to begin?

Ta muchly

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know about words of wisdom but how about a stab in the dark?

Is this the reel set that has the studs with the wipers? I have found the board on the side can suffer from leaky diodes and this starts paying out some of the wrong combinations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, midibob said:

Don't know about words of wisdom but how about a stab in the dark?

Is this the reel set that has the studs with the wipers? I have found the board on the side can suffer from leaky diodes and this starts paying out some of the wrong combinations.

Thank you so much for replying, Bob.

In answer to your question, I think so  - please see attached pics.

P1010898.JPG

P1010899.JPG

P1010900.JPG

P1010887.JPG

P1010896.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, midibob said:

Ooh err, not seen anything like that before? Is there a board on the side of the reel mec? Going by those pics I doubt it.

Is this it, Bob?

P1010901.JPG

P1010902.JPG

P1010903.JPG

P1010905.JPG

P1010906.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, not seen one of those before. This looks like a regulator. The board I'm thinking of was about 6x6 with two chips and loads of diodes on. It's obviously a different reel mech to any I've seen. I'm amazed how much different stuff there is for Barcrest of the same techs!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't know as I've never see that type of reel mech before. Do you know whether it's the reel mech or the board? Sometimes the switch ports on the board play up with leaking caps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

that is a strange reel mech ... how about a photo of the whole mech slightly further away  ... and what does the edge connector on the pcb connect to 

I do remember seeing back in the day a reel mech that had lamps and photo resistors that looked through holes in the reels to detect position ... 

most MPU1s had wipers and studs acting like a binary encoder to detect real position... 

Strange 

Dicky

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of Barcrest's early MPU machines, I had ( Bet a Nudge ) back in 2011 it had cracked glass, solenoid plus studs missing on feature reel, machine long gone now.

Photo cells through reels and the solenoids both fired and stopped reels with those studs on reel drums.

Bet a nudge barcrest.JPG

bet a nudge back view.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, dicky wink said:

that is a strange reel mech ... how about a photo of the whole mech slightly further away  ... and what does the edge connector on the pcb connect to 

I do remember seeing back in the day a reel mech that had lamps and photo resistors that looked through holes in the reels to detect position ... 

most MPU1s had wipers and studs acting like a binary encoder to detect real position... 

Strange 

Dicky

Thanks, Dicky. Are these pics any use?

P1010907.JPG

P1010908.JPG

P1010909.JPG

P1010910.JPG

P1010911.JPG

P1010912.JPG

P1010913.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, midibob said:

I really don't know as I've never see that type of reel mech before. Do you know whether it's the reel mech or the board? Sometimes the switch ports on the board play up with leaking caps.

Def not the board. I swapped it with my spare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BF74 said:

One of Barcrest's early MPU machines, I had ( Bet a Nudge ) back in 2011 it had cracked glass, solenoid plus studs missing on feature reel, machine long gone now.

Photo cells through reels and the solenoids both fired and stopped reels with those studs on reel drums.

Bet a nudge barcrest.JPG

bet a nudge back view.JPG

Thanks, mate. That sounds like mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dunc2007 said:

Thanks, Dicky. Are these pics any use?

 

 

 

 

 

P1010912.JPG

P1010913.JPG

Yes thats the reel mech i remember ... with the holes in the reels ... using optos to detect the position 

apart from that im not familiar with these machines ... but if the problem relates to one reel i would look at the opto sensor  board for that reel  and make sure the Tx Rx on the opto  is working 

May be one of the more knowledgable guys may be able to answer this ... im wondering if the sensors are used to detect the reel position whilst it is spinning or only checks the reel position once it has stopped .... but as during play your feature reel does not stop....  im guessing the code is waiting for something ... 

its a shame that board has the buss connector on as otherwise you could have swapped opto boards to see if the problem moves with the opto board 

all the best Dicky 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this what I've known as the 'slingshot' type mech? There's no motor, the solenoids literally spin the reels by pushing against those big plastic studs. I've never actually seen one before.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it looks like there are 5 components  on each board ... the feature real board with the connector on just has the caps and a LED maybe this is infrared and posibly the transmiter  ? 

Not sure on the other boards what they are without seeing the other side ... im guessing the 3 pin components could be photo Transistors ? 

any chance of a photo of the board on the other side of the feature reel ? 

all the best ... dicky

opto1.jpg

Edited by dicky wink
Link to post
Share on other sites

i upped a mpu1 / lsi manual to downloads not too long ago 

 

and ive got the reel desk test box thats mentioned in the manual 

 

maybe has some info in it . 

 

 

Edited by riche100
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, riche100 said:

i upped a mpu1 / lsi manual to downloads not too long ago 

 

and ive got the reel desk test box thats mentioned in the manual 

 

maybe has some info in it . 

 

 

The reel deck in your manual is a different one...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That the Non-Vegan Reel set ... that contains Real Leather washers ... anyone that has worked on Bally Bingos will know the importance of keeping them soaked in Neatsfoot oil :)

I love the principle of this other reel set in that you do away with the buiscuit board ... the wiper alignment and the blooming great motor ... maybe one of the simplest reel sets ever 

But i guess the downfall was that as soon as the spindles became caked in tobacco crap and dust the reels would not turn freely enough to complete the spin 

although have to say a good try by Barcrest .... 

Anyway back to the problem  .... why does the solenoid not stop the reel on this machine ?  some points of elimination here 

1, if the opto sensors are being monitored real time whilst spinning i guess it cant see the position so does not alow the solenoid to stop the reel ? 

2, But if the opto sensors only feed back the combination after the reel has stopped then it may point to a control from the MPU1

i am going with 1.   as you say you have swapped the MPU1 board for a spare and also the solenoid is firing ok as it spins the reel ? 

I would test the opto PCB on both sides of that reel 

All the best ... Dicky

 

Edited by dicky wink
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 8:31 PM, dicky wink said:

That the Non-Vegan Reel set ... that contains Real Leather washers ... anyone that has worked on Bally Bingos will know the importance of keeping them soaked in Neatsfoot oil :)

I love the principle of this other reel set in that you do away with the buiscuit board ... the wiper alignment and the blooming great motor ... maybe one of the simplest reel sets ever 

But i guess the downfall was that as soon as the spindles became caked in tobacco crap and dust the reels would not turn freely enough to complete the spin 

although have to say a good try by Barcrest .... 

Anyway back to the problem  .... why does the solenoid not stop the reel on this machine ?  some points of elimination here 

1, if the opto sensors are being monitored real time whilst spinning i guess it cant see the position so does not alow the solenoid to stop the reel ? 

2, But if the opto sensors only feed back the combination after the reel has stopped then it may point to a control from the MPU1

i am going with 1.   as you say you have swapped the MPU1 board for a spare and also the solenoid is firing ok as it spins the reel ? 

I would test the opto PCB on both sides of that reel 

All the best ... Dicky

 

Many thanks, Dicky.

I swapped the feature reel opto board with a spare from my spares and repairs MPU1 (Match Up). Made no difference to the fault although I can't be certain that the swapped opto is in working order. Then swapped an identical working board from Big Match but still same fault. So I suppose we can rule this out?

I also swapped the non feature reel opto board around with ones known to be okay but again this made no difference.Pics attached of both sides of both feature reel opto boards.

 

opto board from other side of feature reel.JPG

optos from feature reel.JPG

otos from feature reel.JPG

Edited by dunc2007
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2020 at 10:46 PM, dicky wink said:

haha ... you missed my point i wanted to know what was on the other side of the top board ... the one i marked with yellow rings :)

Dicky 

Apologies. Here we go.

P1010925.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

eerr ok ... i wasnt expecting that ... 

unfortunately it does not show whats hidden beneath the black plastic ... im guessing some photo transistors ? 

Would be great if you could remove the 2 screws on the back of the pcb and slide off the black plastic ring ( if it will come off ?  ) so we can see whats inside there ?

im not sure if this is going to help but at least we may have a clue to how it works and where to fault find 

Dicky 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

Was just reading this with interest as some have just helped me discover the name of this machine. 
 

what was the outcome? Did it get sorted and so surprised someone actually still has one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...