Road Runner

Just Got This

Lost out on ebay 2 weeks ago when my internet went down :crying: but regained it 2 weeks later by brute force with cash :D :D :D (buyer pulled out apparently) :rolleyes:

Just had to have it so i offered a top price for it :huh:

post-445-0-92894000-1311533494_thumb.jpg << Needs alot of work does not power up but the PSU is an MPS one :hmm:

Not strictly a fruity but is is an 80's JPM so it counts & comes with disks dongles and a spare motherboard ;)

Will take more pics when i open a project thread on this classic :D

Regards

A :D

• Like 1

Lost out on ebay 2 weeks ago when my internet went down :crying: but regained it 2 weeks later by brute force with cash :D :D :D (buyer pulled out apparently) :rolleyes:

Just had to have it so i offered a top price for it :huh:

post-445-0-92894000-1311533494_thumb.jpg << Needs alot of work does not power up but the PSU is an MPS one :hmm:

Not strictly a fruity but is is an 80's JPM so it counts & comes with disks dongles and a spare motherboard ;)

Will take more pics when i open a project thread on this classic :D

Regards

I did consider it, but I knew you wanted it and I'm full. (also didn't look like it wasn't going to go cheap) :D

I remember these well in the pubs, they were very popular, would be nice to see it run again and get all the questions dumped.

Paul

Disks not standard PC format will have to look further and dongles are a PAL20R4AC

cab looks ok though :hmm:

a little dodgy right at the bottom but it will be stripped and repaired :D

Great quiz machine, this. They had this in my local Snooker Club in the eighties. I remember a story in the newspapers about a father/son combo going around the country and fleecing them all. This is also emulated on MAME, by the way. :)

IIRC, the PSU will be slightly different. there will be an extra fuse for the monitor (usually missing from AWP installations)

IIRC, the PSU will be slightly different. there will be an extra fuse for the monitor (usually missing from AWP installations)

If my memory serves me right, then it'll have a green label psu in it.

If my memory serves me right, then it'll have a green label psu in it.

Correct!

The other difference between green label and the others is that the lamp supply voltage on green label is only 12V as the lamps are directly driven and not multiplexed. Using anything other than a green label could put 50V through the lamps, which would blow the entire lot pretty quickly :eek:

I had a working green label PSU until recently, I sold it on eBay and a certain Mecca member bought it for 99p :headache:

EDIT: This may come in useful! Spot the mistake on page 6 :lol:

Give Us A Break manual.PDF

Edited by CanonMan

Correct!

The other difference between green label and the others is that the lamp supply voltage on green label is only 12V as the lamps are directly driven and not multiplexed. Using anything other than a green label could put 50V through the lamps, which would blow the entire lot pretty quickly :eek:

I had a working green label PSU until recently, I sold it on eBay and a certain Mecca member bought it for 99p :headache:

Cheers for the pdf canonman just what the doctor ordered :D

Edited by albaki77

Correct!

the machine does look a little green :D

some notes on the project

One of the two green label PSU's is now repaired along with new rifas :D

one videoboard resets every 2 seconds or so the other one does not reset at all :(

just now in the process of metering out the whole board and doing drawings as there are none available as i know :(

pcb is now that straightforward as it is using voltage comparitors as pard of chip enable along with software :rolleyes:

may have to write some 68000 to do board tests

monitor does not work also even after changing all 25 caps(approx)

will keep in touch :D

Certain parts of the circuit are quite close to those in MPS and MPS2. The audio section is almost identical, from what I can remember.

I think the legendary Dave Powell must have designed the video board as well as MPS.

Any progress with the GUAB, mate?

still mapping out and doing drawings of the videoboard :hmm:

reset powerfail and watchdog circuits have been worked out along with rom,ram and half of the dongle circuit :huh:

one of the boards was going into reset all the time this was due to the watchdog circuit(no code running) removing link 2 disables this while fault can be found and link 9 is the power fail override :D

the board is a bit like a cross between and MPS & System5 with video board :eek:

still lots to do B)

i will do a full update when further on with this :D

still mapping out and doing drawings of the videoboard :hmm:

reset powerfail and watchdog circuits have been worked out along with rom,ram and half of the dongle circuit :huh:

one of the boards was going into reset all the time this was due to the watchdog circuit(no code running) removing link 2 disables this while fault can be found and link 9 is the power fail override :D

the board is a bit like a cross between and MPS & System5 with video board :eek:

still lots to do B)

i will do a full update when further on with this :D

Great to hear you're making good progress with it :D

I never got that far, but then I'm a lazy git :lol:

Project update

Both green label PSU's now working with new rifas etc :D

post-445-0-22811900-1313782867_thumb.jpg

All caps changed on monitor but still a problem so i have passed this to a monitor guru called gunblade over at jamma+ :D and he will finish the rest B)

post-445-0-93139500-1313782981_thumb.jpgpost-445-0-66373200-1313782995_thumb.jpg

still working on one of the 2 videoboards the code will not start so i am going to code a test routine for the board to start with :D

still working out drawings etc.etc :huh:

This is taking more time than expected so

@ JPMSTU I will get back on the link 3 asap

@Roger same with the MPS boards

@paulgee Reel bands

@Launton Reel Bands

Sorry lads will start on the above jobs next week and have a week off GUAB B)

just a note did this also in the last month not a fruity but one of my all time favs :D :D :D

http://www.jammaplus...ona-usa-project

Regards

Edited by albaki77

Thanks for the update Alan. Just joined Jamma+ meself last week :)

Thanks for the update Alan. Just joined Jamma+ meself last week :)

Its just like this one but for videos :D

Sounds like its turning into quite a big project. Good luck :D

seconded :)

fair chunk of circuitry to play with/get sorted there by looks/sounds of it - are those Hanty's reckoned to be fairly reliable/robust or have they developed notoriety of a less desirable nature over the years?

know what you mean about needing a week off - why I still havn't made up dummy bands for RAW (taking a good month off that one), plus weather is too nice not to be enjoying it while it lasts

as and when good sir

Update on project

Decided to Dump/Backup floppy encrypted disks that came with the machine 3 ok :) and 2 not so :(

Floppys are using the same format as the TI99 computer(it looks like TI where big with JPM in the 70s,80s) :)

once dumped i tried to get them to run in MAME that i had to recompile to bypass the rom CRC checking that MAME does.

Here are the results

post-445-0-33090900-1329653888_thumb.jpg << Normal 3rd Edition that comes with Mame

post-445-0-34802700-1329653931_thumb.jpg << This shows the questions decoded in the older versions of GUAB

post-445-0-29876600-1329653875_thumb.jpg << Disk B dumped ok but comes up with a load error as can be seen but the questions are still decoded so i will look into getting this disk running later

It looks like the people who where going round fleecing this machine must have been tapping into video memory where the programms run from after decryption and looking at decoded questions for each disk etc.(possible).so it looks like later disks have the questions decrypted to program ram ony when used by the game and only one at a time then cleared when question is no longer needed(even after disk decyption on boot up)

post-445-0-80399800-1329653923_thumb.jpg << Edition 30 running under MAME :)

post-445-0-40705300-1329653938_thumb.jpg << with extra security on the questions even afer disk decryption :hmm:

post-445-0-12805000-1329653905_thumb.jpg << edition 7 running under MAME also the questions are encrypted

So i now have

Edition 3 ok

Edition 7 ok

Edition 30 ok

Disk B Loading but not running

Disk 36 Will not fully dump yet

Disk G MK2 Will not fully dump yet

Do we know of any other disks out there (canonman possible) :pray:

Edited by albaki77

Do we know of any other disks out there (canonman possible) :pray:

Sorry mate, but I sold off the last of my GUAB parts (including the disks) last year :headache:

I must say though, I'm well impressed with what you've managed to do so far. How close to working is the actual machine?

Sorry mate, but I sold off the last of my GUAB parts (including the disks) last year :headache:

I must say though, I'm well impressed with what you've managed to do so far. How close to working is the actual machine?

Restarting the hardware stuff at the end of the month 8)

Is the disk 3(mame) image the only known dump?

Restarting the hardware stuff at the end of the month 8)

Is the disk 3(mame) image the only known dump?

I dumped my disks using 22disk and passed then on to El Condor ages ago. I don't know if I've still got the dumps anywhere, I'll have to check all my old computers for them!

Really looking forward to seeing the machine working again! I bought one for a fiver off eBay years ago, it was a complete wreck after I spent two hours driving there (and getting completely lost) to collect it. The cabinet fell apart as it had been standing in water for years, all the metalwork was rusty and the battery had eaten the PCB. I kept the best bits for a while and binned the rest. I never managed to get it working so I eventually gave up and sold the parts :(

I'd love a working machine, but I'm now in the position where I'd have nowhere to put it. I can't win :crying: