Hi all.

I've just got hold of my first machine.

A Barcrest Hit the Top.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a classic 80s close to home for some time.

I'm used to 80s videos, but a fruity is a first for me, so i have some learning ahead.

I haven't switched it on yet. It was said to be working at Xmas.

I want to thoroughly dry it out (it's very slightly damp) and check it over.

I have read that i need to remove the battery from the Mpu4 ? 

What do i replace that with?

Happy times ahead, and some frustrating ones no doubt !

Paul

hello and welcome

2 hours ago, barcrest junky said:

You use fly lead to keep the battery off the board.

I've just pulled it apart.

looks ok. No real damage there. But I'll fly lead it as a precaution.

6 minutes ago, Paul V said:

I've just pulled it apart.

looks ok. No real damage there. But I'll fly lead it as a precaution.

20200324_141012.jpg

there is damage, that battery has vented all over the triac drive transistors. capacitors resistors  and zener diodes, so  a good few components (at the very least) will need replacing

Probably needing a board replacement there unless you can repair it 

Ok Thanks.

I haven't tested it yet.

Was said to be working. Never know your luck.

I'll need a new soldering iron and some practice before i attempt that lot !!

21 minutes ago, Paul V said:

Ok Thanks.

I haven't tested it yet.

Was said to be working. Never know your luck.

I'll need a new soldering iron and some practice before i attempt that lot !!

It may have been working three months ago but it won't stay working for long in that condition.

Hi All.

Thanks for your welcome and replies.

I must admit at quick glance that looked ok to me. Just goes to show i have a lot to learn. 

It has cleaned up a bit better but i haven't taken the battery off yet to see what horrors are below, i will do that as soon as a new pair of wire snips arrive.

I have tested the machine now.

And for the most part plays quite nicely, but as suspected there are some issues with coins in and payout. 

Non of the solenoids seem to work. The main board just clicks rather than the solenoid.

Also, an odd one. The coin mech won't send the 10ps into the tube. It routes them down into the cashbox. So even if the solenoid did work, the tubes would be empty. Is that linked to the same area on the main board or a seperate issue?

I now have to make a decision. Either try and fix this board, or look out for a replacement. Repairing this might be beyond me. Plus i might make things worse.

Does anyone know of a reputable repair service for these boards?

Apart from that it plays well. Just an odd bulb to replace, but I'll swap them all out anyway.

It will look great next to my 1978 Space Invaders cocktail video.

Oh, another thing. What is prefered for these coin wise. Do people update the mechs for modern coinage or leave old school.

I have stacks of old 10p.

Thanks again.

Paul

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Paul V said:

Hi All.

Thanks for your welcome and replies.

I must admit at quick glance that looked ok to me. Just goes to show i have a lot to learn. 

It has cleaned up a bit better but i haven't taken the battery off yet to see what horrors are below, i will do that as soon as a new pair of wire snips arrive.

I have tested the machine now.

And for the most part plays quite nicely, but as suspected there are some issues with coins in and payout. 

Non of the solenoids seem to work. The main board just clicks rather than the solenoid.

Also, an odd one. The coin mech won't send the 10ps into the tube. It routes them down into the cashbox. So even if the solenoid did work, the tubes would be empty. Is that linked to the same area on the main board or a seperate issue?

I now have to make a decision. Either try and fix this board, or look out for a replacement. Repairing this might be beyond me. Plus i might make things worse.

Does anyone know of a reputable repair service for these boards?

Apart from that it plays well. Just an odd bulb to replace, but I'll swap them all out anyway.

It will look great next to my 1978 Space Invaders cocktail video.

Oh, another thing. What is prefered for these coin wise. Do people update the mechs for modern coinage or leave old school.

I have stacks of old 10p.

Thanks again.

Paul

Addressing some of your thoughts.

The battery has caused damage, as we all know.  Repairing this board is an option, however MPU4 parts are becoming scarce, but you can still find main boards on eBay (and there are some numpties on there).  It would be better to have a spare on hand

The problem with sending out for repair is that it can be working in another machine or test rig, and then you install it, still doesn’t work, and possibly cause further damage.  My point is, if you can source 1 or 2 extra boards, fly the battery off, you will have better chance in the long run.

Without being there, the payout issue, could be a bad plug, output, broken wire etc

Keep it on old money.  Change one thing at a time, so if something fails, you can undo it.  Further down the line, if you want to convert, it shouldn’t be too much of a headache.

Its a great game, worth saving.  A precursor to Grab The Bank.

Oldskooler

Edited by oldskooler
Cause I Can’t Spull

Thanks Oldskooler.

I noticed those on ebay.

Is that about the going rate £90?

I did wonder if they are good, in as they don't sound like they have been refurbished, just tested.

I think i have found the coins not going into the payout tubes issue.

The coin mech doesn't seem complete.

There looks to be parts taken out. One of the solenoids has bits missings. Likely done to stop the tubes filling up if they don't pay out.

20200325_181828.thumb.jpg.9e8cb14bd8652c966dedab20b9014fca.jpg

20200325_181839.jpg

but get your machine operational first before messing with too much all in one go!

I finally got around to removing the battery.

It's pretty good underneath. So at least that's a positive.

I still plan on replacing most of the affected components anyway though and having a good clean up.

It doesn't seem like i have 48v from the PSU, tested the fuse holder and all ok there. Next stop search for psu repair threads !

20200405_134203.jpg

3 hours ago, Paul V said:

It doesn't seem like i have 48v from the PSU, tested the fuse holder and all ok there. Next stop search for psu repair threads !

Doh.....

Worked it out. School boy error. The 48v is AC. Tested correctly now :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.