Sign in to follow this  
slugfest

"CPLD 01 PIC ????" MPU5 Error

Hi All,

Note: I have previously created threads regarding a request for Software for my Empire Games "Pure Madness" machine and also my initial "No Characteriser" error, at Fruit-Emu, and was luckily supplied the software, however I have ongoing problems so I thought I would ask here too...

I am trying to determine the root of the following error message upon boot up of my Pure Madness machine "CPLD 01 PIC ????"

The machine first developed the 52-36 no characteriser error. Thinking it was the battery, I tried to get the MPU5 board fixed but it would not hold the SW after initial load. The guys who did that claimed that the PIC chip seemed ok.

I now have 2 additional and apparently good (taken from working machines) MPU5c/3 program cards and two other (non Pure Madness) PIC chips.

I understand that having the wrong PIC chip installed will throw an error, however the machine seems not to be able to recognize any PIC chip installed - including my original "RTC EC83" labelled chip.

I am unable to source a replacement chip, but even if I did , I fear that there is some other fundamental issue.

Clearly getting a guaranteed working MPU5, loaded with Pure Madness software and a known RTC EC83 chip would be ideal as I would be able to discount those items.

Quite an ask, but if someone does have a Pure Madness machine  that I could  borrow the MPU/PIC from....alternatively, I could send someone my mpu5/PIC combo for testing on their PM rig?

One last idea was that I could possibly source a Union Games version of the SW and PIC as it appears to be the same chassis.

Would anyone have any constructive thoughts on this?

Many thanks

Slugfest

If the pic chip has at any time been put the wrong way round in the program card and power applied it destroys the program card and no pic chip will then be recognized

Edited by Andrew96_
  • Like 1

@Andrew96_ Thanks for the info. I do not believe that the PIC chips have been inserted incorrectly but I guess it's possible.

I think I'm going to have to find someone with a working PM machine for them to test my boards/PIC in.

Is there an MPU5 service manual available?

Cheers

Slugfest

Hi

...no, I was referring to the RIO (cabinet) Field Service Manual.

Cheers

Slugfest

If it’s a characterisation chip you need e service supply and program them , google them they are based  in Pontefract they ask for the rtc code and claim 2-3 days delivery 

7 hours ago, pete666 said:

If it’s a characterisation chip you need e service supply and program them , google them they are based  in Pontefract they ask for the rtc code and claim 2-3 days delivery 

do they supply them then if you don't have gambling commission premise licence?  would have thought that defeats the point of  using the security chips if they do that!

Went through checkout page didn’t ask for premise licence , company name is optional so looks like I could have purchased one 

Guys

I am familiar with the e-Service offering, but I contacted them and sadly they are unable to supply my particular PIC chip. Their link is 

https://e-service.co.uk/product/barcrest-pic-pre-programmed  (Cost is £25.)

Also of note for the 52 36 error is https://www.fruitmachinesales.co.uk/52-36-no-characteriser

Cheers

Slugfest

Also, from the MPU5 Error Codes book:

• 52 36 NO CHARACTERISER  - Security chip (U10) failed, missing or for wrong program 

Slugfest

OK, so as an update:

I bought another (very cheap) working MPU5 (mk3) based machine. I removed the (known good) program card and replaced the PIC chip with my original RTC EC83 from Pure Madness and put the card into the Pure Madness machine. This time on boot, it correctly displays the PIC chip ID - suggesting that the chip is fine and that my other Mk3 mpu5 program cards are indeed defective.

I believe that I could go ahead and flash the program card with the BIN from the CF card - except I can't until I can find the software for my new machine (Balti Towers 50p/£70) so that I can re-flash that also! (I have already sent out a request for that). Once I find that, I can fully commit the Pure Madness flash card SW load and test it fully.

I'm now on the hunt for some known good MPU5 mk3 cards....oh and also, SW for "The Empire Strikes Back - 50p/£70" (as I have one of those with the same general issue) - I have the  Empire SW v 0.1  - is there a newer recommended version available?

Cheers

Slugfest.

Closing this thread:

• Obtained a working MPU5 mk3 Program Card.
  • Loaded up Pure Madness BIN via CF card boot
  • Machine working!

Cheers

Slugfest

Sign in to follow this