PCP Fan

MPS Machine tripping house RCD

Got a new one for 2020. The last machine keeps tripping the house RCD breaker after being on a bit. ive tried running it alone in case it was overloading things but it’s not that. 

came with a dodgy MPS 1 which today I’ve swapped for an MPS 2 and it plays great for a minute or so then bang garage in darkness. 

power supply has been reworked so I doubt it’s that but may change it when it’s a bit warmer just in case. Anything else silly anyone can think of I can check?

Just to add confusion. With the original MPS 1 bird while I was running it in bits it never seemed to do it at all. It’s got worse over time, and swapping board not changed it.  

Rifa's in the power supply! cut them off and fit a mains smoothing socket

I think these are the ones that net dent is on about ? I have used these from rs before mate if somebody could confirm that they are the correct ones for you to use that would be good 👍

45622589-7573-4926-8B80-4CBCA7C16D38.png

Edited by Tilly1
  • Like 1

@PCP Fan they don't half go with a bang! Some smell off them too. Gave me a hell of a fright first time it happened top me!

If you're lucky enough then you get a bit of a "warning" fizz and a puff of smoke first. :lol:

• Haha 1

you could change the voltage on the psu . it has one of 3 positions 

try each one , see if the psu favors one over another . someone said the 220 settings was good

might help , might not , worth a go though :) 

good luck with it bazza

machine should run without the rifas fitted 😁Steve had his machines running like it for ages 😏

a lot of people use the schaffner in line filter but i have been told some people are just putting new rifas back in as its cheaper 

Yes you should only need too fit a filter

And it should be fine!

I wouldn't mess about with the tap settings, either change the RIFA's or remove them and add an in-line filter.

If you're happy enough to take it on then I've got a set of RIFA's that I'll send out to you if you like? :)

Thanks everyone, rifas shouldn’t be a problem as the power pack has been done by Louie only 6 months ago and not used. I’ve got a spare so will try that and report back. Can’t see it being much other than the power supply......

updates to follow :) 

12 hours ago, quattrohead said:

Might be an issue in the tube lighting circuits then.

Yes...... something i always forget! Ill disconnect the power to it and see before re building it :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, quattrohead said:

Might be an issue in the tube lighting circuits then.

It's gotta be something on the mains side, so if it's not the PSU then it can only really be the ballast on the fluorescent lamps as Kev said above.

• Like 1

Uninstall the RCD and go back to fuses, this should fix it. If the fuses blow just use foil ;)

• Like 1