midibob

Tales from Midibobs workshop JPM MPS2

Well, what with the dawn of the New Year it's time to venture into new pastures. The next project is to get a test rig together for MPS2 and maybe MPS1 later.

I have some pics of the MPS official test rig but was wondering if there is any diagnostic software about? I'm not too hopeful as a search here comes up with nothing.:S This will decide on the design of the rig as without the pucker roms it will have to be based on a machine. In this case does anyone know what might be the best game software to use or are the in built diagnostics pretty much the same for all?
This is going to be quite a steep learning curve as I've never seen one of these machines in the flesh so at present I've got no idea of the booting sequence or any particular quirks of this tech. Shouldn't take me long to pick it all up though.

Is there no end to your talent Bob? How many different techs do you do now?

😀😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TTX said:

This might help you...

Wow, thanks for that. I see it says :-

PRINTER TEST MESSAGE....`JPMTBED.07

in the code. Is this just for MPS1?

7 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Is there no end to your talent Bob? How many different techs do you do now?

😀😀

I'm rapidly losing count but I must be getting towards the end now as I don't have any plans on doing anything more modern. I'll leave that to the folks with better eyesight!:lol:

• Haha 1

MPS 1 and 2 are 99.5% electronically the same all the same connectors etc so 1 test rig is all you need.

It's a very simple logical system and the tech manual is great.

Should be one of the easier one to get going.

Nice one bob and good luck with this tech 

2 hours ago, midibob said:

Wow, thanks for that. I see it says :-

PRINTER TEST MESSAGE....`JPMTBED.07

in the code. Is this just for MPS1?

No idea, I downloaded it a long time ago and never tried it!

2 hours ago, midibob said:

Well, what with the dawn of the New Year it's time to venture into new pastures. The next project is to get a test rig together for MPS2 and maybe MPS1 later.

I have some pics of the MPS official test rig but was wondering if there is any diagnostic software about? I'm not too hopeful as a search here comes up with nothing.:S This will decide on the design of the rig as without the pucker roms it will have to be based on a machine. In this case does anyone know what might be the best game software to use or are the in built diagnostics pretty much the same for all?
This is going to be quite a steep learning curve as I've never seen one of these machines in the flesh so at present I've got no idea of the booting sequence or any particular quirks of this tech. Shouldn't take me long to pick it all up though.

A man of your talents bob, I am sure you won’t have a problem 😊 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quattrohead said:

MPS 1 and 2 are 99.5% electronically the same all the same connectors etc so 1 test rig is all you need.

It's a very simple logical system and the tech manual is great.

Should be one of the easier one to get going.

Have to say snap not much to m.p.s 1 and two...

much the same boards and tend to operate the same machines one being much the bigger board to two.. I'm sure a easy fix for you 👍👍

Let's hope so.:pray:

I'll give the diag rom a try when I know I've got the board going with some lamps and switches. Hopefully it'll be straightforward to work out what it does?? Any documentation for the test rom I wonder? Going by the tech manuals, which are really good, you would assume there would be a document somewhere.

It will be the custom chips on mps2 and the tms9902anl on both that are going to be the showstoppers on mps1/2 tech

Yep, I've been reading that. I expect scrap boards are probably non existent too.:(

3 minutes ago, midibob said:

Yep, I've been reading that. I expect scrap boards are probably non existent too.:(

Plenty of people have broke mps1 and 2 boards I know Tony amot has about 30 of the sodding things 

9 minutes ago, riche100 said:

Plenty of people have broke mps1 and 2 boards I know Tony amot has about 30 of the sodding things 

Its getting people to part with them without wanting a arm and a leg for them!!! like Maygay M1 boards are going for silly money non working now wanting weeks of work to put them back to working! that's the problem these days!

31 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

Its getting people to part with them without wanting a arm and a leg for them!!! like Maygay M1 boards are going for silly money non working now wanting weeks of work to put them back to working! that's the problem these days!

folks might be willing to divvy some out, if it means they will get free or the odd cheap repair in exchange 

as broke boards are no good to people who want spares and have machines that need them 

always a deal to be done 

Bob I've messaged you mate I'm happy to help if I can

Interesting, might still be a bit over my head too. I think I did read somewhere that there was possibly a PIC substitute for the CPU although I may have just dreamt it in between Kelly Brook and Maggie O'Neill. Well you can't dream about fruit machines all night!🤣

I know very little I'm trying to help finding the information for an obsoletish chip that you believed could be emulated on a pic chip I've included the file of there work if it's not useful please tell me 

• Like 1