Sign in to follow this  
Ben Moore

Having trouble soldering battery leads on

Posted (edited)

Hi believe it or not this board does work but I'm having a right problem soldering the battery leads on too the pads due to corrosion is there anyone who could help me if I posted it to them please I've tried the pads on before the front and back I have the battery and fly leads I'll supply 

I haven't realy got the money for a new board either so realy need to try and get the battery soldered on fly leads on this one as bar the battery it fully works

20200101_152448.jpg

20200101_152717.jpg

20200101_125626.jpg

Edited by Ben Moore

i reckon in time that board will fail ben you need to clean it up

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fruit58 said:

i reckon in time that board will fail ben you need to clean it up

Yeah I'm trying to find someone to clean it up as there look to be some tracks what have nearly gone someone has offered to take a look at putting just the battery on but would you be able to clean it up at all or know anyone who could please

I'll message you 

Edited by Ben Moore

least you having a go ben  . if you want aload of old boards to practice on send me a pm and i will send you some if

i can send a few different techs if you want . 

there isnt any epoch boards 

A friend gifted me todo with as i wish test rigs /parts etc etc so ive decided to gift them out to folks who need them  

inbox me only please , as i might miss your response 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, riche100 said:

least you having a go ben  . if you want aload of old boards to practice on send me a pm and i will send you some if

i can send a few different techs if you want . 

there isnt any epoch boards 

A friend gifted me todo with as i wish test rigs /parts etc etc so ive decided to gift them out to folks who need them  

inbox me only please , as i might miss your response 

Messeaged you 

Edited by Ben Moore
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ben I still can't help at the moment as I have to much on, my Mrs is going to drop soon and I've just moved on my old Epoch test machine... you should have posted them before Xmas when I offered bud.😎

What's happened isn't your fault it's the poor quality of the eyelets on the board. What I do is scrape off the old soldermask covering the copper tracks and around the battery area and ground on the back of the board. Then put copper rivets in the through holes and punch them then you have to carefully solder a wire link onto the track and (in)onto the rivet. On the ground hole obviously just resolder it to the ground on the back of the board. Hope that helps mate and apologies I can't do more at the mo.

Edited by MattyL
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Something like this in the pic mate-20190620_190801.thumb.jpg.ac418c1655fbdaa934d96da4def25f7c.jpgObviously practice like crazy on scrap boards and use plenty of Flux. It's fiddley AF and hard getting into the area so you want a fine iron tip.

Edited by MattyL
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, MattyL said:

Something like this in the pic mate-20190620_190801.thumb.jpg.ac418c1655fbdaa934d96da4def25f7c.jpgObviously practice like crazy on scrap boards and use plenty of Flux. It's fiddley AF and hard getting into the area so you want a fine iron tip.

Ok thank you @matrixnetuk has kindly offered to look at the battery problem for me so hopefully he will be able to do it and @riche100 has kindly offered to send me some boards so I can have a pratice more of my skills thanks for the advice though and I wish you all the best with the baby coming soon 

Edited by Ben Moore
  • Like 1

Solder to the nearest pads, I’ve mentioned this before Ben 

• Like 1

Evening folks ...Bens board has arrived at mine and im afraid to say its beyond my skills to solder on his battery there doesn't appear to be anything left to solder too :-( 

Is there anyone local to me here in Nottm who fancies a go at this 

cheers

Stef

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matrixnetuk said:

Evening folks ...Bens board has arrived at mine and im afraid to say its beyond my skills to solder on his battery there doesn't appear to be anything left to solder too 😞

cheers

Stef

For the battery can’t you not connect 1 lead to R3 and one to ground? Or is corrosion stopping the solder from sticking?

• Like 1

Like this.. it could be done better but it works 

955FDB45-8695-4E55-A9A5-404DB9806DAB.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hey Darren that method may be doable the battery pads are non existent so didn't even turn my soldering iron on but R3 and the Ground sections look OK will have another look tonight  

Just a quickie fellas ..is there an ideal temp to set the solder station to when dealing with epoch boards i.e soldering a tag onto R3  

cheers

Stef

Edited by matrixnetuk
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, matrixnetuk said:

Evening folks ...Bens board has arrived at mine and im afraid to say its beyond my skills to solder on his battery there doesn't appear to be anything left to solder too 😞

cheers

Stef

No :)

• Haha 3

R3 btw mate, just so know. Like in photo. You should be able to connect to any ground spot if you have to, have had to that before when changing caps on Epoch. 

8A101F18-1D29-4344-9AD3-70F0AEA1AADC.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Andrew96_ Can you help my friend Matrix with the reccomended temperature for epoch board and around the r3 component

Edited by Ben Moore

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, matrixnetuk said:

cheers

Stef

I can help if your struggling, means i'll have to travel a quarter of a mile to your house though Steff ;). You still got your beer fridge?????

You got rid of those shitty maygays? I don't wanna be in the same room as them. I don't really want to touch a shitty epoch board to be honest :)

Edited by Player
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Message from Matty below @matrixnetuk

I work on 360 but it's more a case of how long you heat it up for. If it's a weak board you don't want to touch or heat the pad itself to much so don't push hard with the iron or for to long. I'd pre tin your wires so they have solder on them then put flux on r3 and heat the solder on your wires. It will be a delicate joint so recommend gluing the wires to the board to stop the joint getting pulled. If you copy and paste this Hi Stef and well done for helping. Apologies I can't do more atm fellas.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Player said:

I can help if your struggling, means i'll have to travel a quarter of a mile to your house though Steff ;). You still got your beer fridge?????

You got rid of those shitty maygays? I don't wanna be in the same room as them. I don't really want to touch a shitty epoch board to be honest :)

Yes I believe he did get rid of those maygays as he gave me one I'll cover any beer you drink lol as long as it's not the expensive stuff and within reason if he ends up needing you help think of it as you good deed of the year 😉😀

Edited by Ben Moore

5 minutes ago, Ben Moore said:

Message from Matty below @matrixnetuk

I work on 360 but it's more a case of how long you heat it up for. If it's a weak board you don't want to touch or heat the pad itself to much so don't push hard with the iron or for to long. I'd pre tin your wires so they have solder on them then put flux on r3 and heat the solder on your wires. It will be a delicate joint so recommend gluing the wires to the board to stop the joint getting pulled. If you copy and paste this Hi Stef and well done for helping. Apologies I can't do more atm fellas.

Yup exactly my thoughts Ben, I thought the temp would vary per boards.. Damage etc 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben Moore said:

Yes I believe he did get rid of those maygays as he gave me one I'll cover any beer you drink lol as long as it's not  the expensive stuff if he ends up needing you help think of it as you good deed of the year 😉😀

Pour that beer down the sink and get me some whiskey 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ben Moore said:

Yes I believe he did get rid of those maygays as he gave me one I'll cover any beer you drink lol as long as it's not the expensive stuff if he ends up needing you help think of it as you good deed of the year 😉😀

I'll drink more beer than your fruit machine collections worth ;)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Player said:

I'll drink more beer than your fruit machine collections worth ;)

I regret saying that now lol within reason I would like to add to my above comment 

LMAO at the responses here love it 

John the beer fridge is still here if you want to come have a go

Few different machines for you to play on too 🙂 

Its no problem if cant pop over i will just follow the guidance offered so far 😄

Cheers

47 minutes ago, matrixnetuk said:

LMAO at the responses here love it 

John the beer fridge is still here if you want to come have a go

Few different machines for you to play on too 🙂 

Its no problem if cant pop over i will just follow the guidance offered so far 😄

Cheers

You still on same number? You still got a Nokia 6210?

Sign in to follow this