Player

Bell Fruit closing

13 hours ago, spa said:

That's a good point, wonder if they will supply the dongles!

Very much doubt it. I imagine if the plans to go totally digital then they would want the traditional fruit machines gone. 

Scropion 6 machines with the dongles will be lost in time :( 

1 hour ago, Andrew96_ said:

There will be a way round it..... there always is!!

I don't really understand how they work. They were introduced well after my time there. It is interesting. I can't see how they would work without being linked to some kind of clock or timer.

Barcrest ones can be circumvented, so most likely they can be too, but I have not been involved with JPM ones

GOSH that resin casing stuff is tough !!!!!   but not totally defeated when opening one to see what I could figure (NOT MUCH )  because the black moulding compound is so hard and all the components are SMD its virtually impossible to identify exactly what goes on inside 

however I see a 12SMX-B crystal which could be 32.768 kHz ?? not absolutely sure its also marked 20.0000000M which when powered by the host machine comes to life (they don't time down when not in the host machine) and the other main IC looks to be a RTC real time clock (IC2) style smd but the compound still has it in its grip .I assume... Similar to the suicide battery/RTC IC fitted to some video games pcbs which are also difficult to replace another 6 pin IC1 also gripped in the compound a 5 pin IC RG1 ? then two transistors several resistors and capacitors all smd complete the device so mostly stuck in the resin block compound (they obviously know someone somewhere would try this to attempt by pass or copy??) 

Main issue I could foresee is the host machine knows if any un-matched dongle is fitted then the host machine knows and alarms accordingly so perhaps the software on the host is written to 'pair' with its dongle...…….   just like now that the coin mechs & note accepter / recyclers have to be 'paired' to the host machine when swapped over.. 

you would need to find one pre sealed to stand a chance of copying it BUT THERE COULD BE SOMETHING ON THE SCORP 6 to eliminate them as the game functions door open mode when these are timed out ......… the board is BFG 36-326-000 ISS 3 and connects via a 9 pin stake/prize key type interface and on the bright side I think they may be made for BFM by an outside electronics co …  'CLC electronics' is labelled on some.      

if we find any other info I will share it just in case some forum users already have these games even tho they are not sought after ( we chuck dond and monopoly and similar away at the tip about 6-8 every couple of months just remove the power supply and note accepters.)..

….( sad.... that costs us £140 per ton waste recycling fees and they usually still have the keys in the top door locks and working quite often) ... but the tip guys see our truck and make short work of destroying them from further illegal use searching every remote crevice for escaped coins and often get a fair number they get behind the coin boxes in the rear recess of the coin compartment they often just smash especially the glass as they get shoved off the tail lift height

Edited by 1001arcade
wrong word re-typed

I thought this would happen once novamatic sold out to inspired, I would think time is also limited for the other subsidiary's, Inspired will just take the name and market games on the video based platform I would think.

• Like 1

Sad news. Bell-fruit machines are the main reason I started collecting.

• Sad 1

'Inspired Entertainment' seems to be the new controllers of the Bell Fruit Machines following their acquisition of Novomatic technology group in October..... which was at the time reported in Coin Slot but it seemed some of the companies were to continue to trade just as before and staff were slowly being incorporated into the Inspired Company ? not sure on that ! 

My brother in law works for them still having been with Gamestec for some time and still has a job beyond retirement and he tells me this week that some people from BFM are to be employed similarly in technical and engineers etc.? 

But its usually the case when these takeovers and mergers occur all the technical and stores spares which have been archived in cellars and unused store-rooms invariably end up cleared out into landfill etc. so advice is stock up any parts you might need and find available before they become as extinct as many that have also disappeared across the decades.. 

Again if anyone gets spares info or other useful alternative sources it could be worth mentioning it here for the benefit of all the relevant collectors , owners and engineers.?

we will see what we find out at the amusement show in January 

someone needs to get a hold of the tech docs out the office while they clear out!

Sad news to hear BFM closing but not surprising,  the internet is destroying all other walks of life so this is no different.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAGIK said:

someone needs to get a hold of the tech docs out the office while they clear out!

Sad news to hear BFM closing but not surprising,  the internet is destroying all other walks of life so this is no different.

All tech docs have been obtained by me. Theres nothing else. The system 85 I had to beg for. Theres nowt left.

• Like 4

On 12/16/2019 at 12:46 PM, Rogier said:

Sad news. Bell-fruit machines are the main reason I started collecting.

Well there are plenty around,like all machines,after late 90s they are shit anyway.That is game play and build quality.Plus nearly all now will have crappy dongles and impossible to fix surface mount tech

• Like 1

Bellfruit scorpion 4 , especially the later smiley 2 stuff is handy for the operators because theres a ton of spares around.   They are everywhere!  But from a collectors point of view the golden age is the late 80s early 90s, lots of absolutely iconic system 85 and scorpion machines still knocking around to this day.

My wish would have been able to get hold of all the older BF electro era schematics/manuals now lost.

On 12/29/2019 at 5:38 PM, BF74 said:

My wish would have been able to get hold of all the older BF electro era schematics/manuals now lost.

They lobbed everything. I found test rigs in the skip (scorp 4 and 5)

• Like 1

nothing like a bit of bin dipping

14 minutes ago, riche100 said:

Yup, they didn't make the bin once I had seen them ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2020 at 12:38 PM, Player said:

They lobbed everything. I found test rigs in the skip (scorp 4 and 5)

I would have been digging in the bin too.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this news just now. So many great machines in the past both AWP and clubber.

Very pleased to hear you have at least rescued some of it Player.

• Like 1

for anyone following this or needing the info ………………. BELLFRUIT are still now operating a technical support and limited spares back up alongside as before and DONGLES are being released as we have had 2 this week and also a few compnies are supplying them too AZTEC and WESSEX coin I hear have some in stock BUT NO FURTHER  BFM ROTATING REEL / SEMI ANALOG STUFF IS IN PRODUCTION ..    get collecting the ones you like and get some spares in hand too !!!!!!!!!!!! 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:56 PM, 1001arcade said:

for anyone following this or needing the info ………………. BELLFRUIT are still now operating a technical support and limited spares back up alongside as before and DONGLES are being released as we have had 2 this week and also a few compnies are supplying them too AZTEC and WESSEX coin I hear have some in stock BUT NO FURTHER  BFM ROTATING REEL / SEMI ANALOG STUFF IS IN PRODUCTION ..    get collecting the ones you like and get some spares in hand too !!!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for the info, but more important THANK YOU for the Bezel and more importantly the tour on saturday and the talk, really did put a smile on may face and took me back to my younger days. Such nice people about willing to share great history from the past. THANK YOU AGAIN.😉 hope to talk soon it was a pleasure.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:49 PM, riche100 said:

Quite a compliment, coming from the master himself! :)

• Haha 1

Hi Player.

Is there anyway BFM will release any of the old hardware programs for important stuff like PAL, FPGA chips?

Just thinking it could help people who want to keep the beloved Scorpion tech alive for years to come

I believe all that info (along with the scorpion 1 test rig rom files) was thrown away on a old pc years ago! Well that’s what I was told when I tried to get those test rig files!!