Sign in to follow this  
Line Up Chris

M1 machine faults

This is turning into a nightmare for me now.

Firstly,I didnt want to post this but I'm forced

because things keep going wrong,so any advice or tips

are gratefully appreciated here.

2 machines giving me a major headache.

1. Eastenders m1b.

I actually got this running last night.

I swapped the m1b board for an m1a.

It wouldn't boot,but I was advised dil

switch 8 on bank 2 needed to be switched

on for an a to work in a b.

So I did that and it booted.

And I actually played it without fault and even

did a video 

Now it doesn't work again.....why?

Because I took the psu out to try in my Donkey kong

as that one keeps popping on and off when I turn it on!

So I put that psu back in Eastenders and now it makes a

loud noise and all the lights are stuck on like something

has gone open/short circuit. 

I have 3 psus,1 that dont work,1 that pops on n off and 

now this one that makes a loud noise.

2 Donkey Kong.

It started popping on and off...

Initially I thought it was the psu.

So I swapped it,but it still kept popping.

Then I put a spare m1a board in that was

out of a working machine. It booted but

the alpha display shows Contact Maygay.

This machine is fitted with a dongle and was

advised to reseat this,but it still does this.

So I tried another prom card which made

no difference .

So it looks like I have 3 psu's and 4 boards

that need attention. 

Mick has kindly offered to look at my boards.

Top man!

Just need someone who knows how to

fix m1 psu's.

All fuses check out ok.

Any offers of help are greatly appreciated and

I am more than willing to fund the repairs to anyone

who can help me with this.

Great machines,shame about the tech!

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I am assuming these PSUs will be very basic capacitor and diode types, nothing fancy...

Expect it could well be the capacitors and/or bridge rectifiers (diodes) :)

I've had to change both on the same MPU4 PSU in the past, and even on an non-switch mode MPU5.

So at least it should be an easy and quick fix Chris, even if someone else has to do it.

Check your loom to the power supply Chris mate there might be burning on it causing it to be temperamental 

I had a fault on PSU before it were a diode shorting to short causing 6.3amp to blow. 

11 minutes ago, Sir Dunelm Mill QVC said:

I am assuming these PSUs will be very basic capacitor and diode types, nothing fancy...

Expect it could well be the capacitors and/or bridge rectifiers (diodes) :)

I've had to change both on the same MPU4 PSU in the past, and even on an non-switch mode MPU5.

So at least it should be an easy and quick fix Chris, even if someone else has to do it.

Bit more to them then meets the eye. 

5 minutes ago, -Crest- said:

@Ben Moore still a reliable tech? 

Yes I still think it's a reliable tech it depends how long he has them on for at a time as if he has on for more than a few hours each time its bound to start causing problems I have mine on for 30 minutes at a time and I never get problems

Yes I would reccomend checking plugs for burnt crimps too as they do like to burn out

• Haha 1

A fruit machine is designed to be on 14 hours. Any other tech can do it no problems.

2 minutes ago, -Crest- said:

A fruit machine is designed to be on 14 hours. Any other tech can do it no problems.

There not realy designed to be on for this long at 30 years old nearly that's why I never have on for more than 30 minutes if not the old solder heats up too much and starts breaking and this is when you start getting problems 

Just my opinion but seems to of worked for me for about 3 years now no manger break downs or anything 

Ya that’s true but it’s still a worse tech than most. Fact, MPU4 35 years old and still so many still running. Impact except for processors a great tech very reliable.1997, Scropion 4 reliable. 1998, MPU5 incredibly reliable. 

I think it’s a flawed logic to look at it, it’s how reliable it is today not what it was, Epoch from day 1 had PSU faults, lamp boards but MPUs are decent but today the MPUs are mainly the issue. 15 years ago.. if you had a Epoch fault it would automatically be assumed to be the power supply. 

5 minutes ago, -Crest- said:

I think it’s a flawed logic to look at it, it’s how reliable it is today not what it was, Epoch from day 1 had PSU faults, lamp boards but MPUs are decent but today the MPUs are mainly the issue. 15 years ago.. if you had a Epoch fault it would automatically be assumed to be the power supply. 

True I still love maygay though and the tech

No scorch or burn marks anywhere

on the psu to board plugs.

The problem with Maygay tech is it works opposite way around to everything else with the board telling the psu to boot up rather than the other way round which is the norm!

• Like 1

Think you mentioned this to me a good while ago, never heard of Maygay psus killing MPUs which is good but that’s the only postive 

2 minutes ago, Line Up Chris said:

No scorch or burn marks anywhere

on the psu to board plugs.

The problem with Maygay tech is it works opposite way around to everything else with the board telling the psu to boot up rather than the other way round which is the norm!

How did one just bust though moving from one machine to the other I've never heard of this before 

1 minute ago, Ben Moore said:

How did one just bust though moving from one machine to the other I've never heard of this before 

Oh I have!

100% sure you didn’t plug the power connector the wrong way?

8 minutes ago, -Crest- said:

Oh I have!

Its literally unheard of I don't get how a part can break moving it from one machine to another  unless your hooking it up wrong or bashing it about

14 minutes ago, -Crest- said:

100% sure you didn’t plug the power connector the wrong way?

Not possible as it has a stop block in the plug to avoid plugging it in the wrong way round.

4 minutes ago, Line Up Chris said:

Not possible as it has a stop block in the plug to avoid plugging it in the wrong way round.

Mine didn’t have the blocker lol as it were messed with before, so I had to make sure I put it the right way. (James hardy showed me a picture of his)

Hopefully you fix it mate sorry I can’t help more 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ben Moore said:

Its literally unheard of I don't get how a part can break moving it from one machine to another  unless your hooking it up wrong or bashing it about

It’s possible, moving the machine might upset wires, crack bad solder joints, etc but probably quite rare. I had a odd fault on a epoch mpu before it would boot unless you bashed the wood beside it or violently shaked the machine.. very odd I know. That mpu is now deceased lol

edit: to be fair the mpu was very badly damaged 

Edited by -Crest-
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just reread its slight weird are you sure all the boards are defentily faulty as sounds to me more that you might of hooked something up wrong I just dont get how swapping a part from one machine to another would break it 

Edit read crests thing and agree this could happen but very unlikely on a board and power supply are you sure the dongles not toast

Edited by Ben Moore

5 minutes ago, Ben Moore said:

Just reread its slight weird are you sure all the boards are defentily faulty as sounds to me more that you might of hooked something up wrong I just dont get how swapping a part from one machine to another would break it 

Edit read crests thing and agree this could happen but very unlikely on a board and power supply are you sure the dongles not toast

100% it was the board faulty. 

Sign in to follow this