nzo

What was this fruit machine?

I've been looking for this old fruit machine - possibly the first one I got familiar with as a kid.

It was definitely around in the late 70's and it ate my pocket money.

The only things I can say about it was that it was 10p for 2 plays, didn't have nudges, but had this odd feature whereby if the feature enabled, then when you pressed start, you got 2 rapid spin/hold sequences with a 1-2 sec pause each time, then a final 3rd spin.

The jackpot was £1 and the jackpot symbol was like a dark blue/light blue target or swirl motif. I'm fairly sure the jackpot was a 3x1x3 position or less likely a 3x3x3. Definitely not just the win line.

There were 3 or 4 in a row of these machines in one of the local arcades, so I doubt it was uncommon.

cheers

No sorry. I've put everything I can recall. I guess only people who remember it would know. It's a long shot, I know.

2 hours ago, nzo said:

No sorry. I've put everything I can recall. I guess only people who remember it would know. It's a long shot, I know.

Don’t even think the Quattrohead will get this one and he’s nearly as good as me.

Hmmmmnnnn....

Ace machine had two clones of this machine.  Both the same game, but one used horse shoes, and the other grey hounds.

Top glass had two main lamps.  Left lamp was “Normal Game” , the Right “ bonus game”.  Reels would spin, pause. You would hold feature symbols on win line ( or may have been a 27 way win ..this bit is hazy), then reels would spin again, pause, player given chance to hold again.  And then a final spin to finish the feature.

Thinking about it now,  holding feature symbols may have advanced a climb trail to the jackpot..which would make sense.

Does this make any sense?

Statto

The bonus game was random at coin insert / ready to start.

The rest about the spin/pause sequence sounds pretty much the same.

There wasn't anything clever, like advancing a bonus either.

2 hours ago, oldskooler said:

Hmmmmnnnn....

Ace machine had two clones of this machine.  Both the same game, but one used horse shoes, and the other grey hounds.

Top glass had two main lamps.  Left lamp was “Normal Game” , the Right “ bonus game”.  Reels would spin, pause. You would hold feature symbols on win line ( or may have been a 27 way win ..this bit is hazy), then reels would spin again, pause, player given chance to hold again.  And then a final spin to finish the feature.

Thinking about it now,  holding feature symbols may have advanced a climb trail to the jackpot..which would make sense.

Does this make any sense?

Statto

I meant oldskooler not Quattro oops..

On 9/7/2019 at 1:30 AM, Fruits1m said:

Does sound very Ace Coin to me. Probably in that shiny blue fleck cabinet

Yes!!.  That does bring back memories.  The machines I’ve already described must of been a bit flaky.  I do recall one machine going nuts.  Random lamps, free play, and pressing one of the hold buttons spat out a token.  It might of been stuck in test?.  However to a greedy 10 yr old I didn’t care.

Im pretty sure it was an ace coin, as there was ace symbols for the 27 way 50p win.  I think NZO was right about not advancing a bonus climb.  Maybe this instead?.  One Rosette or Greyhound on the win line was a 10p award, 2 was a 20p award, and all 3 was 50p?.

Definitely 1979-1981.  I saw these at Knowsley Safari Park, along with a load of Brenco machines, Penny falls, Video games like moon shot, Luna Lander, and Astro Blaster.

Statto

Edited by oldskooler
“Bronco machines??!”

Would it be this one, ACE Joint Favourite from 1980.?

Joint favourite ACE26042017 (2).jpg