Sign in to follow this  
richardpen

New Computer

Hi

I need to buy a new computer as my current one is approx 13 years old and still running on XP.  In addition, when I took it into my local computer repair shop, they said that a couple of the cards are showing signs of damage as a result of over heating due to an accumulation of dust which in turn made the fans having to overwork. 

My current PC is a Dell XPS720 and has been in the main very reliable until about a year ago, when I power it down and try to restart it, it does not usually restart.  I have to disconnect it from the mains for a few hours before it will power back up again. 

I have been on the dell site and also phoned the sales team and obtained a quote.  They seem to like to rush things, quotes seem only valid for one day and they keep phoning back wanting you to make a rushed decision. 

My questions are, I have been quoted for an i7, 16GB RAM (the base can go up to 64GB RAM but for some reason, they will only put up to 16GB in it, if you want additional memory, you have to do it yourself, seems very strange to me), will a computer of this spec last me for some years or will I have to keep upgrading/replace it after a few years?  I see they have a range called 'Alienware' which you can build to a much higher spec but additions such as monitors seem to be very expensive and I do not play high graphic 3D games - what kind of games are people playing using this alienware technology? 

Although I do not play high quality graphic games, I do have to permanently run a screen magnification software which when running with YouTube and other applications does seem to put more strain on memory and soes anyone know what the system requirements are for MFME19?  Or is there no real guideline for MFME? 

I am trying to figure out if I am running say the screen magnification software, YouTube or other music or video player, MFME plus a couple of browser pages and word documents whether this spec will be sufficient or whether I should be looking at something higher.  My wife gets the periodic urge to play Farmville but since the game is so old and she cannot play it on her mobile or tablets, I presume it is not the kind of interactive game which would benefit from Alienware.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

Richard

I've always found Dell to be expensive. I buy my bits from HERE and build them myself but the company also offer a build option if you don't want to do it yourself.

I always buy 2nd hand Fujitsu, they seem bulletproof and one of the very few to still design and manf in house.

Support is also very good, as in, drivers being released for much older machines than others would support.

That said if you're after a gaming rig prob not the best choice!

Posted (edited)

Not that it makes any difference but I tend to buy components from either Amazon ( free next or even same day delivery ) or Scan

I always build my own too.

For MFME use I would suggest a minimum of i5 or i7 quad core, 8GB and a decent gfx card

I would also suggest getting a SSD  as they make a massive difference to boot and general response times.

Edited by Wizard

3 hours ago, Wizard said:

Not that it makes any difference but I tend to buy components from either Amazon ( free next or even same day delivery ) or Scan

I always build my own too.

For MFME use I would suggest a minimum of i5 or i7 quad core, 8GB and a decent gfx card

I would also suggest getting a SSD  as they make a massive difference to boot and general response times.

Thanks Wizard and everyone else who have replied.

Wizard - what is a GFX?  is that something to do with the graphics card?  This is the spec details Dell are quoting for:

1 CDX893016 SR

XPS 8930 Base 1 SR

9th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology) 1 SR

Killer 1535 driver 1 SR

Placemat W10 (English,French,German,Dutch,Italian) 1 SR

XPS 8930 EPA Chassis 460W 1 SR

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 Processor Label 1 SR

Shipping Docs - English, French, German, Italian, Dutch 1 SR

Shipping Material-Direct 1 SR

Regulatory Label (EMFP) 1 SR

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz 1 SR

M.2 512GB PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive 1 SR

Tray load

DVD Drive
(Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) 1 SR

Cyberlink Software for Windows 8/10 without media 1 SR

UK/Irish/MY/SG/HK/Bangladesh/Pakistan/Sri Lanka/Brunei Power Cord 1 SR

NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2060 6GB GDDR6 1 SR

Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1 1 SR

Dell Optical Mouse - MS116 - Black 1 SR

Dell Multimedia Keyboard - UK (QWERTY) - Black 1 SR

Windows 10 Home 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian 1 SR

Windows 10 Home OS Recovery 64bit - USB 1 SR

Microsoft(R) Office Home and Business 2019 1 SR

McAfee(R) 30day Trial 1 SR

Additional Software 1 SR

McAfee LiveSafe 36 Month Subscription 1 SR

1Yr Premium Support with Onsite Service 1 SR

1Yr Collect & Return - Minimum Warranty 1 SR

Dell Order Information 1 SR

Fixed Hardware Configuration 1 SR

1 Dell 27 InfinityEdge Monitor - S2719H - 68.6cm(27") Black SR

C13 Power Cord 250V 2M UK 1 SR

Ideally, I would have liked to go for 32GB RAM and i9 but it seems Dell will only do this if you go for Alienware, XPS will go up to 64GB RAM but Dell won't put more than 16 in, very strange, I thought they would want the money. 

I have not a clue about computer components but is that how RAM is sold in 8GB strips, ie if I wanted 32GB RAM, can you not get 2x16 or does it just not work that way?

Many thanks

Richard

yes gfx is the graphics card.

That spec is top end and would be perfect for MFME, I didn't expect you to be looking at spending that much tbh

Ram is available in 8Gb or 16Gb sticks and there are normally 4 slots on the motherboard so 4x8Gb would be 32Gb and 4x16Gb would be 64Gb

16Gb would do you fine and you'd have 2 spare slots to add another 16GB in the future if you need to.

58 minutes ago, Wizard said:

yes gfx is the graphics card.

That spec is top end and would be perfect for MFME, I didn't expect you to be looking at spending that much tbh

Ram is available in 8Gb or 16Gb sticks and there are normally 4 slots on the motherboard so 4x8Gb would be 32Gb and 4x16Gb would be 64Gb

16Gb would do you fine and you'd have 2 spare slots to add another 16GB in the future if you need to.

Thanks for that.  Two reasons I tend to go high end is that for one, my current computer I had built to a high spec and it has been extremely reliable up until about a year ago and the main cause of the problems were that the fans were overworking partly because of the hot weather last summer and that because my computer had not been opened for many years, an accumulation of dust had occurred causing a couple of cards to be slightly damaged although still working at the moment.  So I go high end in the hope that it will last some years and be reliable.  The other reason is that I need to use a screen magnification program - I use one called 'ZoomText' (there are a couple of others).  This is a powerful screen magnification program which has the capacity to magnify the screen area from x2 to x50 or more.  The current level I need is approx x20.  So by the time I'm running this software, have a couple of web browsers open, word documents, YouTube or other video/music player playing something in the background MFME, things could start to slow down so the higher the spec I can get for a reasonable price, the better.  I have just checked on Dell and to go for i9 from i7 is in excess of £5k difference where as from i5 to i7 is only a couple of hundred quid.

I have found in the past that having computers which can have more bits put in them in the future to upgrade are usually unsuccessful.  If I say to someone in 5 years time, can you stick some more memory in my computer?  The most likely response I would get judging on past experience is oh no, that type of RAM is out of date and they are not made like that any more and are not compatible with your computer.  So I would rather they fit the memory sticks in at the beginning.

Thanks for your advice, it has been really helpful.

Richard

Hi

I used to build my own but I need a new PC recently as I am looking to move to home working and the PC I had was not fast enough, however cash is tight, so I thought I would look on Amazon for a refeb PC as the one I had was a Dell referb (not by Dell), and for £125 I found a nice Dell machine with a I5 quad core with windows 10 pro 128gb SSD and 8GB RAM and it flys along, runs the latest version for MFME fast and allows me to record vids for my you tube channel. 

Sign in to follow this