BarcrestPlayers

JPM Impact Power Supply

Hi all can a JPM Impact power supply be faulty even if it’s showing the correct voltage? I’ve finally narrowered done the fault to being the PSU or a temperamental motherboard caused by the psu. Been driving my head in today.. there is 3 bulged caps on the psu but again showing the correct voltage :) any help would be greatly appreciated

E728131C-9452-4B1A-85BC-90689A7E6ACB.png

The answer is Yes! Replaced PSU and issues now sorted. Will keep the other as a spare providing I can fix it at some point

• Like 1

Nice work, I've always got a few extra if you get caught short mate.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 12:03 AM, BarcrestPlayers said:

Hi all can a JPM Impact power supply be faulty even if it’s showing the correct voltage? I’ve finally narrowered done the fault to being the PSU or a temperamental motherboard caused by the psu. Been driving my head in today.. there is 3 bulged caps on the psu but again showing the correct voltage :) any help would be greatly appreciated

E728131C-9452-4B1A-85BC-90689A7E6ACB.png

Bulging caps,change them,they are knackered,may show correct reading but under load and when they get warm it can all go tits up.For what they cost,judt do it dude

13 hours ago, warlord said:

Bulging caps,change them,they are knackered,may show correct reading but under load and when they get warm it can all go tits up.For what they cost,judt do it dude

Cheers mate but I currently don’t have the ability to change them 

15 hours ago, MattyL said:

Nice work, I've always got a few extra if you get caught short mate.

Thanks mate but already bought a replacement 

4 hours ago, BarcrestPlayers said:

Thanks mate but already bought a replacement 

send me a pic of power supply pcb

4 hours ago, warlord said:

send me a pic of power supply pcb

I’ll post a pic of it here tomorrow morning mate cheers 

Ok dude,it is possibly something i can do

• Like 1

They are knackered.think i would replace all caps.think i have some but not all.but can get them.lifebis about 3000 hours,so i guess being in a arcade that is spent.send it mate,i can replace them,pm me for adress.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone confirm thst pin 3 of ne555n is cut on this impact supply,thanks

20190811_225443.jpg

• Like 1

Hello mate, which pin is missing I can't see one there? I've always had a stash of spare impact Psu's so I've not needed to repair one yet. I do have one that's broken so I'll crack it open and have a look at the weekend.

20 minutes ago, MattyL said:

Hello mate, which pin is missing I can't see one there? I've always had a stash of spare impact Psu's so I've not needed to repair one yet. I do have one that's broken so I'll crack it open and have a look at the weekend.

its the one in pic above,my thread

Posted (edited)

Hi, I see it now... it does look like a Mod does the track go anywhere on the back of the board or is it unused?

Seems like there's a wide range of uses for it. 

Here's the pinout

NE555N-datasheet-pinout.gif

Edited by MattyL
  • Like 1

Update: Mortherboard dead

cause of death: PSU 

Roms and other cards tested and ok, so that PSU has killed 2 motherboards the other one wasn’t a coincidence. @MattyLAny thoughts on what it may of killed on the MB mate?  

Edited by BarcrestPlayers

Thats a shame mate!

Does the processor card work in another machine? Any symptoms at all? Try swapping the sound card... a faulty one stops an impact booting too.

Regarding the main board I've found two with the FPGA chips (large square ones are faulty) that's all so far... 1 had other faults so potentially it's been fried.

There's A lot going on... lots of transtor arrays, custom chips working with the processor... reset circuit to suss out. I'm hoping to get a whole board on sockets soon so maybe I'm a year I'll know more.

Edited by MattyL

4 hours ago, MattyL said:

Thats a shame mate!

Does the processor card work in another machine? Any symptoms at all? Try swapping the sound card... a faulty one stops an impact booting too.

Regarding the main board I've found two with the FPGA chips (large square ones are faulty) that's all so far... 1 had other faults so potentially it's been fried.

There's A lot going on... lots of transtor arrays, custom chips working with the processor... reset circuit to suss out. I'm hoping to get a whole board on sockets soon so maybe I'm a year I'll know more.

Yes processor and Rom card, sound card all working in other machine but I’ve only tested them for a few minutes, will try swapping out FPGA chip and test a good power supply from Monopoly in afterwards. That give us a break (club) PSU is evil! It’s claimed to 2 victims

Im just thankful I have spares. Still a lot of money down the drain 😕 that original Indy board that died a few weeks ago I’m 99% sure now was caused by that guab PSU. 

You can't buy then no... it's hardwear with a jpm program running on it... it's what happens they lose the program. It's worth keeping the boards though.

Alternatively if those chips work you'll come across a board where they have failed at some point. Keep the boards I'll hopefully know more in the future. There's no data on fixing the boards around sadly

• Like 1