PCP Fan

Reel Band Production

Posted (edited)

I know there’s been lots of talk on here about reel band production and members who have reproduced reel bands for me and many others. 

It’s something that again I’m looking at and would like to know if anyone has had reel bands being reproduced in plastic as per the originals?

if so which company has produced them?

also has anyone got the “silver” printed back on reels as I know this is virtually impossible for any of us that home print / produce them. 

Getting reproductions still seems hard, especially on plastic. Any terminology as to what they need Printing on to and the techniques used  on the originals / new ones would be nice to know. I’ve emailed a few places and am sure lots on here have already. Be nice to see what’s what all in one place :)

new project about to be started too, will post it up in here as soon as I get it and have 30 seconds!!!

Edited by PCP Fan

Yes i would like a new feature reel for my m1b maygay simpsons.Will be watching this thread

43 minutes ago, warlord said:

Yes i would like a new feature reel for my m1b maygay simpsons.Will be watching this thread

Second that one lol make that two 

Posted (edited)

I need a set of top take  mpu4 back lit reels .I know alan roadrunner has looked into backlit reels so you could ask him how far he got with them

Edited by sulzerned

Three companies messaged, one reply, artwork sent, no follow up yet.....

I’ll keep trying different places to see if anyone prints to plastic.....

• Like 1

Be nice to get some plastic ones done. Especially with all the artwork Launton kindly posted for us to use. He put a lot of time into them and will be useful to plenty of others if they can get them Printed. If anyone has had a company / printers do them on plastic please share the details on here. 

Spoke to a company on the phone, seem very keen to help. Am sending an old reel down for them to see what it is made from and they have artwork. Will keep everyone informed during the week. Hopefully will be useful for continued reel band production.

• Like 1

Second that,if they can do it i will send my simpsons feature reel.Fingers crossed,

15 hours ago, warlord said:

Second that,if they can do it i will send my simpsons feature reel.Fingers crossed,

If you send yours down can you find out how much it costs to have two done as I need one too

Im not sure they will scan them in, they probably will want artwork in a file.... Havent got to the art stage just posted a reel to them and will update over the next few days :)

Ive sent them this which is from a post Jonno put up with all his reel artwork in - Thanks for all your work saved me hours!Will see what happens.... 

Hit Money Plus Colour Silver.pdf

• Like 1

Isn't the reel band production also a form of Silk Screen printing? Isn't it possible to ask Bell-Fruit (or another company like Reflex Gaming) what their manufacturer is or is this kept as a secret?

Following this thread, I would like to have a bunch of reels printed myself 😉

I contacted Shades who do them..... No reply. A lot aren't interested sadly :(

First company has sample:

"Sample received today. I will spec the material now and get back to you as soon as possible. How many of each will you require?"

Updates to follow.....

Price of these will be interesting.

If they screen print them, there is a lot of work involved, just in the printing without tooling for cutting.

• Like 1

There lies the first hurdle as we are talking one or two sets of bands per machine and they might not be too interested in small quantity .hopefully that's not the case .

• Like 1

Reply by me:

"The one you have I need two copies of them. So 6 bands in total. I have artwork for two other machines which if these work will want doing. Will also be passing details to others who need them doing if that's ok too."

Reply by Dave:

"Will do and thank you."

36 minutes ago, mavroz said:

Price of these will be interesting.

If they screen print them, there is a lot of work involved, just in the printing without tooling for cutting.

Not sure how he is going to do it. Ive left it with him now he has a sample as he mentioned vinyl to start on the phone and I said no, I can do vinyl thats not an answer. I want plastic ones that are as close to originals as possible otherwise its no improvement on what we can already do. 

Hoping he finds a good way thats not too expensive..... Also not spoke to him about cutting yet but its on the list too :) 

Many places have moved from screen print to digital printing... if you get a set of bands from say a new Reflex machine, you can tell these are cheaply digi printed at low resolution, probably for cost. As you are well aware the old bands were screen printed and would need a separate pass / screen for each individual colour plus maybe a varnish. It is a complex process with negatives and developing images on the screens

So many bands would be printed on a sheet and then possibly cut on a flat bed die cutter or clamshell cutter.

These require tooling (a forme), expensive tooling.

Hopefully they may be able to rotary guillotine them or something similar. This method is just a matter of setting guides and blades to the correct dimensions and hopefully much cheaper.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed mate.... You'll all be the first to know :)

• Like 1

Looking good .just a question here but I assume those bands arent back lit ?just wondering if they will do back lit ones too.

Correct mate, they are NOT backlit..... will see how they produce them, they may well end up on transparent plastic and just allow light to go through them meaning we would then need a second mask of black to attach to them or print on after completion to the rear? Who knows..... after these appear will see how he produces them and if backlit is an option :) Hopefully...