BarcrestPlayers

Wanted: Scorpion 2 Power Wire Loom

Hi I’m looking fir a scorpion 2 power wire as mine has to much corrosion on it, and corrosion has spread up the wires and ruined the crimps. Has anyone got one? Also would May consider a MPU to lol I know it’s a long shot. Thanks ! D6D834FD-5A08-4FD4-A3E4-37CF76C295B4.thumb.jpeg.0ad2031c384dedc43f153cbbcb366c89.jpeg0135D678-F1CE-4C1C-8948-797F381C1A41.thumb.jpeg.461fb412ac00ad26b696296141591770.jpeg

It is a common problem! just source and put new connectors on the end, that's what I did

4 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

It is a common problem! just source and put new connectors on the end, that's what I did

Thanks for the reply mate but honestly I’m a bit clueless I don’t have the correct crimping equipment, I think I would need to solder a wire for sure the corrosion looks bad! Very bad!

Posted (edited)

well they are all the same these days, battery rotten. your not going to find a new loom for a 20+ year old machine that was last made 20+ years ago! There all going to be similar condition, you have to refurbish what you have.

Edited by Andrew96_

These were the smaller type I had to do to my PC92 connectors back in 2016, rotten the same as yours, as o can see very green and rotted out. you just move one wire at a time to the new connectors without buggering the new connector!

IMG_9280.JPG.133ee05cf84e040b823e2e0bd155926e.JPG IMG_9281.JPG.beba4ef0b09196e17c5b1a14de7bce32.JPG

next connector

IMG_9284.JPG.f7e9f9fbe3ec5384f9ad63845eac06a4.JPG

bad ones replaced

IMG_9285.JPG.895a7fa7f5cfb4f79a36eef6c50696cb.JPG

old removed ones! yuck! with new shiny white one in background

IMG_9283.JPG.0f8a87d58af8ae03506409342b89d8d6.JPG

it's not that difficult

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Andrew96_ said:

Thought I just got unlucky, but ya if there mostly all like that your right just never really had a problem with crimps in the pass, what type of crimp would I be looking for the connection? Had a quick google search and can’t find it. Good job on your connections there 👍

Edited by BarcrestPlays

As Andrew says,yes this is a common problem

Especially on scorp2s and M1s.

More likely poor contact which scorched the

inside of the plug.

Happens on most machines tbh.

If any wires work loose with heat and age.

This would cause a poor connection.

In m1a boards,some wires appear to be thinner

than others in the same loom,and these are the ones

that usually overheat causing the bad connection.

Have had to make up new looms before now.

Very time consuming!

• Like 1

I now cannot give you any numbers on the plugs as mine where the small type, I did have a tool that pushed the larger wires into the same type of connector you have, but loaned it to someone that then ended all friendship, so lost the tool as never likely to get that back now, and so cannot give you any numbers from it, such is life!!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Line Up Chris said:

As Andrew says,yes this is a common problem

Especially on scorp2s and M1s.

More likely poor contact which scorched the

inside of the plug.

Happens on most machines tbh.

If any wires work loose with heat and age.

This would cause a poor connection.

In m1a boards,some wires appear to be thinner

than others in the same loom,and these are the ones

that usually overheat causing the bad connection.

Have had to make up new looms before now.

Very time consuming!

Cheers Chris Hopefully I can make a new loom but not sure what type of crimps they are.

Aren't these IDC connectors not crimps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midibob said:

Aren't these IDC connectors not crimps?

Yes. IDC.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andrew96_ said:

I now cannot give you any numbers on the plugs as mine where the small type, I did have a tool that pushed the larger wires into the same type of connector you have, but loaned it to someone that then ended all friendship, so lost the tool as never likely to get that back now, and so cannot give you any numbers from it, such is life!!

Sorry to hear about that mate 

As far as I know you can't buy the IDC inserts separately for the plugs, you'll need a whole new plug. I suspect these are AMP ones maybe identical to MPU4. I can't remember what the pitch of them was but if they are 0.1" then Molex KK 2.54mm crimp conectors will do, with a Molex shell of course. I've got a funny feeling they weren't exactly that size though?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, midibob said:

As far as I know you can't buy the IDC inserts separately for the plugs, you'll need a whole new plug. I suspect these are AMP ones maybe identical to MPU4. I can't remember what the pitch of them was but if they are 0.1" then Molex KK 2.54mm crimp conectors will do, with a Molex shell of course. I've got a funny feeling they weren't exactly that size though?

I’ll have a look mate got a few spare MPU4 wires

Posted (edited)

It seems like the MPU4 Wire looms are the same width well the power plug anyways so going to use one of those for a donor but will do it in the next few days as I blow my multi meter 2 days ago lol so don’t want to risk putting wires in the wrong place.. that wouldn’t go down well!! Thanks for the suggestion  @midibob

Edited by BarcrestPlayers

If you use mpu4 plugs make sure you use the red ones, the reason is other plugs use smaller cables so you risk damaging cores in the thicker cables your putting in! Or damaging the plug, And I am sure the other colour plugs are lesser current carrying capacity

you can press the cables in with a screwdriver but beware as it is easy to poke through the cable insulation and cause damage that way! The correct tool is t shaped to push the cables in

I will have a Scorp 2 cable somewhere if you can wait a couple of days I will have a look for you as they will be in one of the many stacks of boxes of spares I have 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wanted club attraction said:

I will have a Scorp 2 cable somewhere if you can wait a couple of days I will have a look for you as they will be in one of the many stacks of boxes of spares I have 

Was going to try make one myself cause didn’t think I’d get one, but if you have one in good condition (no to little corrosion) that would be brilliant! Only needing the power cable. Thank you 

On 3/13/2019 at 6:55 PM, Wanted club attraction said:

Will try and have a look tomorrow afternoon for one have broke a few just got to find them 

Hello mate have you had a chance to look yet?