stonyat421

crystal mpu4 board with a jpm rom [ update ]

Well the sound ROMs from both your sets from MFME dont work. The only sound rom that works is the original , from folder 1.4.1.

I washed them through HEX workshop and compared the files and this is what it showed:

filesbuggered.thumb.jpg.1e2b893cbcf080e28e7cf3e107684899.jpg

As you can see, its reporting that none of the files entries match !!!!

When I load either of the other two sound ROMs (read in from set 1.6 or the one in the folder you marked card2 ) MFME reports no samples found.  When I load in the sound ROM from set 1.4.1 , I have 100 samples and the sound works.

So Im thinking there was either a read problem when you dumped the roms.   It doesnt matter that the file is 512K , its basically just the 256K ROM copied onto its self . Im going to have a bit more of a play , going to chop the 1.4.1 sound ROM in half and see if either end of it runs stand alone.

Edited by MAGIK
  • Like 1

Well that doesnt work.  It works fine tho when its doubled up!

If thats messed up, I wonder if there is an issue with the game rom also.

• Like 1

Next if I compare the 1.4.1 game ROM to version 1.6 it has a lot of differences also.  But 1.4.1 matches to card 2 .

Ok so the files are different revisions.  But using the ROMs on 1.4.1 for game and sound, the sounds appear to be spot on. Also, card 2 is supposed to be 1.6 also but it doesn't match the other file , yet matches 1.4.1 - so Im not liking the 1.6 revision even though it does boot.

And just as I thought, at first boot there is a sound played DURING the game initialisation - which is exactly where your game card hangs up.

Edited by MAGIK
  • Like 1

The 1st Byte in the sound ROM is supposed to be the number of samples in that ROM, the next 4 must be 5A A5 69 55 which identifies it as a NEC sample ROM

I would try the Elite game ROM with a different sound ROM if you haven't already.

If you have a sample ROM that loads fine into MFME but doesn't work on a real machine it would be nice to find out why.

Edited by Wizard

On it.   All the other sound ROMs dont load in MFME and apparently in the real machine either.  The game roms tho are whats bugging us atm - I have an MPU4 here and hopefully some reels in the pipeline , and stoneys sending me a crystal card to have a go at this.

It looks almost a cert that the game card is crashing when it trys to play the start up sound sample. Gotta work out why.

I thought the Elite ROMs did run in the Club Bullion layout? I'm sure Tony said they did

Edited by Wizard

this next post is for me :D i will edit as i go 

club mystique f1 pots v1.3 game rom  and cd49 sound rom runs in [ club bullion emulator  ] and my machine [ in its own card ]

club bullion 1.5 game rom  and sample sound runs in [ club bullion emulator ] and machine with [ buccaneer card ]

buccaneer v1.4 game rom and sample sound runs in [ club bullion emulator ]  and  machine in its own card [ bucanner ]

club elite 1.4 game and elite 4/2 sound runs in [ club bullion emulator ]         but not in machine as video

club elite card 2 game runs and sound runs in  [ club bullion emulator ]          but not in machine as video

club elite card 2 game rom  runs with elite1.4 4/2 sound rom on [ club bullion emulator ]

club elite 1.4 game rom runs with elite card 2 sound rom on        [ club bullion emulator ]

club bullion 1.6 game rom runs with sound rom on                        [  club bullion emulator ]

elite card 2 sound rom is Aladdin  cave sound  [ think ]

club bullion sound is the same for 1.4 and 1.6

Edited by stonyat421

Just curious - will bucaneer or mystique run in their own cards with the sound rom missing?