stonyat421

crystal mpu4 board with a jpm rom [ update ]

has any one ever seen one of these game cards before [ first card ]

as you can see by the jpm sticker i would of thought this would of been a impact card and not a barcrest chrystal mpu4 card

myself and mick have tried to get this card to boot but without any joy what so ever

i no the game rom and sound rom are good [ but this card seems completely dead ] the card has been checked by mick and can not find anything wrong with it 

we have tried a couple of different cards that look the same but are slightly different that are fine with a different set of roms and palce chip [ boot up fine]

if any one has any thoughts on this please post as we have hit a brick wall 

cheers

ians card.jpg

ians 2nd card.jpg

Edited by stonyat421

proper head banger this has become :eek:

any one got any ideas 

this is the program card that tony is on about  when i boot it up this is all we get on the display it just keeps repeating its self over and over 

20190201_183229_001.jpg

Have seen these before a long time ago. I think you need a Crystal Mpu4, there have been subtle mods made to these mpu's.

Not sure why the display shows backwards, again maybe to do with the mpu.

They may use a different 7 seg display also, the opposite of the regular mpu4 7 segs. Maybe positive anode. Again, I am struggling to remember the setup.

Crystal mpu4 maybe the one that is a law to itself.

Edited by mavroz

bang on mate never noticed that it is running backwards well spotted

also on the first card theres a black link wire in ic 9

but in the other cards the link is is ic8 

The code is probably written for a later type of Alpha as the digits were reversed. I did a write up on this when I made my MPU4 tester a while back. Doesn't help your booting problem though?

I thought I had a crystal Mpu4 board somewhere but I can’t find it I might have been in one of the machines I moved on before Christmas but I have got a empire one mick that you have just repaired for me mate if you want me to send it back up to you mate to see if it works it’s no problem mate ? image.thumb.jpg.b0d46a8b74e2a56c3e0908aac5cf2de0.jpg

I think the crystal boards were exactly the same just with extra earthing wires between points on the back of the board, possibly they had troubles with noise on the ground line.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:33 PM, stonyat421 said:

has any one ever seen one of these game cards before [ first card ]

as you can see by the jpm sticker i would of thought this would of been a impact card and not a barcrest chrystal mpu4 card

myself and mick have tried to get this card to boot but without any joy what so ever

i no the game rom and sound rom are good [ but this card seems completely dead ] the card has been checked by mick and can not find anything wrong with it 

we have tried a couple of different cards that look the same but are slightly different that are fine with a different set of roms and palce chip [ boot up fine]

if any one has any thoughts on this please post as we have hit a brick wall 

cheers

ians card.jpg

ians 2nd card.jpg

I have seen these type of boards a long time ago!

but IC9 looks like a modern GAL chip, which they did not have back when these were made, PAL was the order of those times, so to me possibly they might not be correct? look to me like they are modern ones, but I wonder if they contain the right mapping to select the rom / sound etc...  that's my 2p worth!

hi dave tried your board still the same thanks for the offer mate

30 minutes ago, fruit58 said:

hi dave tried your board still the same thanks for the offer mate

Ok mate I will have a look in the loft in the morning mate for the crystal mpu4 to see if it’s up there just so you can eliminate it ,but after reading what Andrew has just said ,it sounds more like it 

42 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

I have seen these type of boards a long time ago!

but IC9 looks like a modern GAL chip, which they did not have back when these were made, PAL was the order of those times, so to me possibly they might not be correct? look to me like they are modern ones, but I wonder if they contain the right mapping to select the rom / sound etc...  that's my 2p worth!

cheers andrew   we came to that conclusion as well now :crying:

15 minutes ago, Tilly1 said:

Ok mate I will have a look in the loft in the morning mate for the crystal mpu4 to see if it’s up there just so you can eliminate it ,but after reading what Andrew has just said ,it sounds more like it 

think your spot on dave  i got a nice big hammer in the shed :devil: to sort this out now 

Edited by stonyat421

yes tony we thought that but loads of heads are better then two

yes we said that some one had pulled the sticker off with the number on it needle in a hay stack

1 minute ago, Andrew96_ said:

If you can get a working one I may be able to replicate it

thats  good of you mate i have another card on its way with different game so hoping the chip is good

3 minutes ago, fruit58 said:

yes tony we thought that but loads of heads are better then two

yeah sure is mate :D

These boards have a high speed PAL/GAL that translates the EPROM data on the fly as it's read. Their form of encryption.

As far as MFME is concerned, I've only ever come across two versions.

Edited by Wizard

7 minutes ago, Wizard said:

These boards have a high speed PAL/GAL that translates the EPROM data on the fly as it's read. Their form of encryption.

As far as MFME is concerned, I've only ever come across two versions.

ok mate cheers for that 

I have found this in my stash, is it any use to you?

IMG_1302.JPG