Eastenders

Noisy electromechanical machines

Has anyone come across a noisy electromechanical fruit machine ? The workings inside constantly making a noise like its a very bad radio reception ? I have on one of my machines any idea where its coming from and how to possibly stop it ?

Pictures or Video speak a thousand words....

I've never come across a quiet electromechanical machine!

You can always hear them 'thinking', it's one of the things I like about them.

As you grow more familiar with them (and with machinery in general) you will start to know which sounds are 'right', and which are caused by faults.

The sound you describe is probably dry bushes on the variator. A drop of 3-in-one on the motor rear bronze bush often fixes it.

• Like 2

a lot of these old machine when in clubs or pubs there would be that much noise from music playing a people talking you would not here the noise of the machine cause its in your home and its not so noisy thats why you can here the noise of the machine 

As all electro machines have many motors, timers, switches, relays and solenoids, from the start of the game until finish they make nothing else but noise.

Some manufacturers built their game having the variator run from switch on rather than game start so you will here that constant clicking noise as long as the machine is switched on.

The noise only increases as the game is played with the many components running to give the player a game on each press of the start button. this is a sign that all is well and every click of a switch and noise of a motor running means that they are doing what they were meant to do, As Brigham said you get used to every sound and eventually you will know if something is not right but more usual because the machine relies on all the components to run together it just won't work and in most cases probably won't work again until the fault is found and rectified.

Not only does the game running makes noise but then once a win is payed out the noise is ramped up considerably.

Bell Fruit especially and a couple of other manufacturers fitted payslides that operated on mains 240vac so when one of those pays out it makes quite a racket then add the great sound of many coins dropping into the pay cup you know you are playing an electro machine.

To add with Fruit 58s statement, these machines were designed for commercial work only and sited in pubs and clubs back in that era, the noise was much reduced that is until a payout when everyone could hear if a player just had a good win.

In a home surround then they become a noise box so those that like peace and quiet then I don't think an electro is the type of machine to collect.

These old machines were designed and built for a very short working life and really should not still be around but some have escaped the land fill and so lucky to be here with more and some quite rare examples still surfacing today.

Not everyone's cuppa I agree but many with me like these old machines and pleased to find a few not only still around but collected and loved by so many.

• Like 2

I do like electromechanical fruit machines because they look awesome and also there hassle free of motherboards and the worry of boards getting damaged

• Like 1

If my machine is turned on even with no gameplay it can make quite a racket

3 hours ago, Brigham said:

I've never come across a quiet electromechanical machine!

You can always hear them 'thinking', it's one of the things I like about them.

As you grow more familiar with them (and with machinery in general) you will start to know which sounds are 'right', and which are caused by faults.

The sound you describe is probably dry bushes on the variator. A drop of 3-in-one on the motor rear bronze bush often fixes it.

What and where is the variator ? Where are the bushes ? What do I have to do ? Sorry for all these questions

the bushes are inside the motors which drives things in your machine

Also sometimes after a win or after a spin I hear a cough sound like someone's coughing

your board a loom came to day can you do a video on your machine while you are playing it

Basically,The Variator is a timer motor controlled cam which basically stops the reels from running in a sequence.

Variator or scrambler described on some schematics cam is made in raised steps of unequal size,  post-480-0-93206200-1395155406_thumb.jpg   It these steps that the cam switch rolls over and in turn causes the switch to make and break a circuit.

This circuit is connected to the main game control timer.

The main game control timer has a 3 second revolution so without the variator it would normally take it 3 seconds to complete it's 360 degree in every game cycle.

Once the start button is pressed and the main control timer sets off on it's cycle and the game begins,Just before the reel solenoids lift to let the reels spin the switch running on the variator cam takes control of the circuit to the main control tmer motor.

Because of the make and break action or the variator cam switch, the circuit to the control timer motor is now switched with an on/off action as the variator cam turns.

It's during the reel spin and while the variator has control of the circuit that the control timer motor cycle is increased anywhere between 3&5 seconds.

It is this difference in the rotation time of the main control timer that in turn makes the difference in the release point of the reel solenoids.This is measured in m/sec but enough to stop the reels running in sequence.

The variator returns control of the main control timer to finish it's cycle once all three reels have stopped.........

The variator timer does not always have  red cam or wheel looking thing it can be any colour depending on which components the manufacturer used. the example above is from a Bell Fruit Timer

It may have more than one cam fitted but nearly always a small single motor unit separate from the larger units. 

If you have a timer that runs constantly when machine is switched on before credit then that should be your variator.

• Like 1

depending what machine it is, Bell Fruit machines usually have a diagram inside the back door showing the location of all the timers. 

variator times should normally be located on the main panel of relays in the lower shelf in the machine, if you could possibly upload a picture of your machine could help quite a bit in pointing out these parts.

A VIDEO would be good as one as said befor... tends to make life a little easier 

The sinted bronze motor bearings on shaded pole motors such as for reels and hoppers have a gauze in them,these dry out and motor gets stiff or not turn.Best to remove it and soak in 3 in 1 oil so then it will continue to feed and lube the bearing.Not really something you can do with motor in situe.The synchronus motors on timers are really maintenance free,although you could lube the shaft at back of motor and the gearbox.But normally these are pretty silent in operation anyway

Ive tried sending a photo and video on here before but had no luck , I can send them using Facebook mess messager or whats app , my Facebook name is Chris wilson and my profile picture is me wearing a blue top , if anyone is ok with that then send me a message , thanks

What machine is it? It may be a well-known type with well-known faults.

Right, it's the BRENCO mentioned earlier.

How far are you from Co. Durham. We may be able to do a deal.

What kind of deal ? Ive sent you a private message about your bally bandits