Eastenders

Fly wired battery vs battery on board

some just fix the tracks that are broken, ok that works, but I find there are usually more just about to break or have suffered damage but not at the point of failing, so how long before those tracks fail too? that's why I check thoroughly all over the affected area removing chips as the rot sets in under them as well, I can never see the point of just adding acid (vinegar) to a board which will slowly eat tracks and people say it works! just borrowed time before it fails again! but then some just want it working so they can sell it at a machine a inflated price from the non working price they bought it for!

10 hours ago, Andrew96_ said:

be careful doing that Chris, these batteries are designed to vent, so your just concentrating the vapours inside the bag which is not good! it will travel up the wires for sure! any rechargable battery is supposed to be well ventilated

Tbh Andrew,my machines get switched on twice a week

at the most and then only for short periods.

Like a weekly switch on to check they still run lol.

My batteries in caddies are well away from the board

and not bagged up,only the the varta types are bagged.

I have also used block connectors inbetween in some

circumstances.

My mpu3s have had the batteries removed as there are no

cashpots etc to save  like in clubbers etc.

My mpu4s are all fly wired,some with caddies and some

have varta's which are bagged up but have long leads that are well

away from board and PSU.

I have 3 m1a's which are all caddied with rechargables AA batteries.

Again well away from the board and PSU. 

Interesting topic as we are always looking for ways to improve

board life and those nasty batteries.

Happy New year folks. Few things ive not seen mentioned yet. Humidity and cold temperatures and batteries will leak quicker. Shed machines will rot miles quicker than a home machine that's powered on daily.

I flywire mine away usually down through the shelf and mount it with a case to prevent vapour damage should there be any. You can also drill a 2mm hole and run your flylead through the back of the cabinet and mounting something over the top of it... cut down film case, aerosol top, anything and have it external but protected (if you really love your machine). Only need 200mm of wire and the machine internals are safe.

Not sure if anyone knows anything about this buy my mate suggested dipping them in some type of wax to minimize any leakage...im going to look into doing that next??

Sorry but just 200mm in wire is not enough! It creeps up the cable back to the board! And yes I have seen this creeping rot happen. Just my 2p worth!

200mm is minimum to clear the board, security and go through the back of the cabinet. You can use 2meters if you like. The point I'm making is it's not hard to locate it 'outside the cabinet'

cant you just swap to another type of battery ie the coin cell style or just aa's and just replace them every few months? None of this rot crap to worry about hehe.

56 minutes ago, russdx said:

cant you just swap to another type of battery ie the coin cell style or just aa's and just replace them every few months? None of this rot crap to worry about hehe.

Dont think coin cells would last long on most older mpus.Just keep an eye on it.I doubt any battery would leak in 2 years,And even when they do it takes a good while for vapours doing bad damage.

yeah cant be that bad or surely literally every product with a battery would fail? (ie every phone ever made)

you get the same in pinball where people have left old batterys on the pcb its eaten all the traces but takes like 10 years!! just swap em every so often.

if you have fly lead the board just check it every year   its better then it sat on the board this is what i do 

Hey Andrew, your coin cell mod on my M1a Donkey Kong last approx 10months - Year :-)

I have also fly wired coin your coin cell mods to Scorp4 again nearly a year 

Coin Cell hard wired in my MPS2 Reelcrazy lasted longer than a year in fact i cant remember when i last changed that one :-)

Hi Steff, that is good! Your M1a board is modified for lower battery consumption (if it was done by me)as without that they wont last that long on a M1a board! not as long lasting as I had hoped, but the coincell board can be easily removed if you want to go back to rechargable battery, Scorp 4 uses 2 ram chips so that's good it is similar to M1a! again I had hoped the coincells would last longer than that, but they do have to power other bits so guess that's the best they will go 10 months! The batteryless ram boards go for years, but that died a death! thanks for that info! I had no idea how ling the CR2032 would last!

Edited by Andrew96_

Yes Andrew you upgraded my board and installed the Coin Cell (A good few years ago now) been fantastic ever since :-) 

Im pretty sure the Reelcrazy MPS2 board coincell was also done by you 

I did purchase 4 or 5 of your coincell mods when you first set them up :-)

• Like 1

Ah excellent! nice to hear it is still going strong! just the one happy customer then! lol