Andrew96_

Bellfruit scorpion 2 board repair

Well this board was supposed to be working! but of course I pulled it out for a project and nope not working!  It has a sticker on it as it was repaired by a professional company back in 2013, it has one wire link on the bottom but sadly no attempt was made to stop the battery rot!! so it don't now work!

IMG_2929.jpg.251ccc4cea231d6f1c9f7e9f12185a80.jpg

I can see the custom chip has had a new socket fitted by them, the work is ok on the soldering but it is not the best either

IMG_2930.jpg.c8b1922ab7a3d281dd79b09ea4c598ae.jpg

took a while but ll the bits in the affected area removed, ram, regulator, few other components and of course that 64 pin connector for the expansion card!

Then comes the cleaning up! also took some time but it is cleaning up good! this is how it looks tonight when I stopped for the night!

IMG_2933.jpg.d468a1fdb9bf15c9665a426093ff6e92.jpg

bit of missing copper!!

IMG_2934.jpg.0d7da154ba09f7141328f8784768c377.jpg

So I have been asked how I get the wires following the tracks, so here is how I do it, a Sunday afternoon repair thread!

firstly pre tin the track and wire, tack the wire onto a good part of the track and tack in place, in this case the via is a good place to start!

IMG_2935.jpg.4393f0bd3c708601e3aa7f74fb5687dc.jpg

then bend the wire in place and hold with tweezers or fingers!

IMG_2936.jpg.5ee92d517198e8e455c259f7425e3682.jpg

use the hot end of a hot stick so solder it to the track, to the corner bend in this case

IMG_2938.jpg.61d30b5defe5f3de30d9b467880274ae.jpg

then poke it down the via where you want it to go!

IMG_2939.jpg.aced005299bfd235282f53a156b425c4.jpg

straighten the wire up and solder! then make sure the whole wire is soldered nicely down onto the track to finish that wire

IMG_2942.jpg.38a5735abf86861a4a0e0a3d24a42600.jpg

then same again with the next! tack the wire in the via

IMG_2943.jpg.f92d3445de4622e230f0a11560142dd4.jpg

bend it to follow the track

IMG_2944.jpg.3c14d44675617344e712dc8d04b6c716.jpg

turn the corner! while bending the wire I held it in place with tweezers

IMG_2945.jpg.eaa18029a18494764329c8066bd47478.jpg

same as before into the via hole, then make sure it is soldered along its length

IMG_2946.jpg.03a497ae9d2c84ac413e16f58d363957.jpg

next..... the same really, solder, bend follow the track and solder as you go

IMG_2947.jpg.7d2f1295fc789d79aaa1e9adf976911f.jpg

Bend round the corners

IMG_2948.jpg.f9d440664c28d3079e4a2f33d066dc2f.jpg

until you reach the end of where you want to solder to, cut the wire to length

IMG_2950.jpg.ea7d389c5b0c5c57079b90edec24a2ed.jpg

hold it onto the track and solder so it is as flush as possible

IMG_2952.jpg.8b806f7a5b7f557bef4bc576abf622ae.jpg

and then admire your work!

IMG_2954.jpg.5eec7b88b4728186d5224aaf66d91f17.jpg

clean the flux off and it looks so much nicer!!!

IMG_2955.jpg.1b651fd0b98b6fe457a0724a3f675901.jpg

that is that bit done!! that is how I do it, there are other ways of course so use the way you like to repair tracks

• Like 2

Nice work Andrew. It's amazing how much copper the battery vapours consume over the years. That ground area has almost separated!

Edited by midibob

yeah I just prefer to do these on the topside as have found wires on the back can get ripped off much easier, I am always finding pins of IC's on the back bent from being stored against other boards or scraped against something which to me shows how the boards can and do get damaged easily, also I like to stop the rot on the topside or it just seems to attack the board as has happened to this board which was repaired in 2013 from the sticker!

Edited by Andrew96_

I still have to do something with the copper pour area but it does make ground across it for now, also still to do rivets on the battery connection, but for now the urgency is to get the board running ASAP, last night the board looked like this

IMG_2957.jpg.2449bf7f6080d08a186ae38087091f20.jpg

It now has the ram and regulator, caps put back in, but sadly it still won't run! the deadline for the project (and the need to get this running) is tomorrow night!, but it looks to be more wrong than just a handful of tracks on this one!

Its amazing what damage a fecking battery can do.Im sure its in the best hands mr 96

Does it try and come out of reset ? - red LED flash for a second ?

You can force it out of reset by grounding pin 12 on the 555 timer - handy to look at the address and data lines with the probe

Assuming the clock is there

Very common for IC20 to fail, I cut pin 14 carefully to test, can easily remake without removing

Hi Paul

thanks for the info, yep led flashes and processor /halt is high and the /reset pin pulses high, the cpu clock is fine and good, so the cpu is running when the /reset goes high, while going round with a scope on the cpu address lines it came out of reset and run! for about half a hour! VFD display was showing meter error etc as nothing else apart from the VFD display was connected, so I know the board does run, it then went back into reset and has stayed like that since!, still at least I know the cpu and ram are fine! time has now beaten me on this and sadly the project I was helping with is now leaving me tomorrow so this is now likely to go on the back burner as the importance of getting it working now disappears! always the way with boards, they just don't go to plan! and this was supposed to be a fully working board too!

bit more investigation done and address lines all look good 5v, BUT every data line is only 500mV! narrowed it down to the ram or cpu, I bet its the cpu as don't have another board to test it in and don't have a spare CPU! typical!

Well if you do have another go in the future, I have some spare CPU's I can post you (one is the same as Scorpion 4)

If you do try again - as per the below, this causes that issue

Very common for IC20 to fail, I cut pin 14 carefully to test, can easily remake without removing

Cheers thanks for that info, I have already changed the PAL chip just in case and it was innocent as there are only a few data lines to it it could load down and the loading is on every one of the 8 data lines! I did tonight remove the ram (again) and of course it tested fine! next the cpu! that of course tested fine too and had that running in a different board which uses that cpu so know it's fine, next IC13 is connected to the data lines and can go iffy to do things like load the data lines so that came out..... nope it's innocent too! running out of things that could be loading the  data lines to be so low!

ok well have been going round in circles a bit with this, most bits have been back out again and tested and all seems fine, but still nothing to speak of on data line activity, then I see IC5 that big square custom BFM1300 chip IC5 on the circuit diagram with data lines going in and out! searched through my boards, seem to have every other Bellfruit boards except any scorp2! looked on ebay and found a corroded scorp 2 board first bid £7 inc post, so bid and won! it arrived tonight and so I quickly put IC5 in my board, turned it on and YEP it booted! watchdog light went out!!! so it WAS IC5 the BFM1300 custom chip!

so the events were...... I was trying to test a scorp 2 test rig, the board did boot i think! then I switched one of the reel switches on the box as these are the controls to tell the board on test what to do, it uses the reel opto inputs! thats when it went wrong! the red watchdog light lit up and stayed on!! putting the switch back to its 'normal' position and the watchdog then blinked and that's what it stayed doing! so moving that switch on the test box took out the ROM! and this IC5!!!! so I guess getting the custom chip for £7 was worth it in the end!! least I have a board that does boot into life again !

Thanks Paul that is very good of you, I might take you up on that offer of a 1300 if I try and repair this really bad corroded one I bought, I am sure I have a couple of them somewhere but as I have never used them I just cannot find them now I need them of course!!

now the board works I did a little video of what I was trying to achieve!

• Like 1

not really sure anyone is interested, but now have the scorp 2 board running the lamp test on the scorp 4 test rig lamp bank, and it works!!!

• Like 1

The remaining 64 pin connector I have decided to replace, batery rot and age cannot be good for the connector so replacement it is!

you might see this same video in the desodering station thread, but here it is again anyway!

and if all the solder is sucked from the pins the old connector with the desoldering station itjust pushes out very easily!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It makes it all look very easy! Just wish it was 👍

Nice videos mate great to see you posting some! is that flux your putting on first? Desoldering tool looks great.

Couldn't help but notice are you doing that one handed and holding your phone in the other!?!?

Yes flux is the key! It lubricates the old solder to melt!  That was done one hand on the iron and the other holding the iPhone! Iron set to 380 deg c

Mike, with the right tools yes it does really help! I am a great believer in having the right soldering iron as it does really make a difference, no lifted tracks and no burnt laminate board! Once I tried a good weller iron  I had to get one! I really noticed a difference, so when this weller desolder station came up I got it!!  I am wondering weather I will get a pace one as one has come up now!

Edited by Andrew96_