Andrew96_

Bellfruit scorpion 2 board repair

3 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

Mike, with the right tools yes it does really help! I am a great believer in having the right soldering iron as it does really make a difference, no lifted tracks and no burnt laminate board! Once I tried a good weller iron  I had to get one! I really noticed a difference, so when this weller desolder station came up I got it!!  I am wondering weather I will get a pace one as one has come up now!

It’s like everything in life, you pay for what you get, I’m a great believer in buying once, there is little or no point in getting cheap. Keep up the good work 👍

Quite right mike,and andrew certainly knows how to use his gadgets.Although pace is fecking expensive.

13 minutes ago, warlord said:

Quite right mike,and andrew certainly knows how to use his gadgets.Although pace is fecking expensive.

you can buy cheap ex military equipment pace / fluke etc etc from www.bidspotters.co.uk

34 minutes ago, riche100 said:

you can buy cheap ex military equipment pace / fluke etc etc from www.bidspotters.co.uk

well that's great, but I just looked and there is nothing for either of those 2 searches, or anything else I tried in the electronics or electronic manufacturing side (thought there might be a cheap wave soldering machine! but there wasn't)

59 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

well that's great, but I just looked and there is nothing for either of those 2 searches, or anything else I tried in the electronics or electronic manufacturing side (thought there might be a cheap wave soldering machine! but there wasn't)

keep looking andrew they have auctions all the time . there is scopes and everything all the time 

keep looking :)  stick it on a bookmark 

sorry for thread dumping i wont post again as its not on topic 

So while I had the Weller desolder fired up I thought it would be a good idea to remove the sockets also on the badly corroded board I got off ebay for the BFM1300 chip 

The board looked like this!! will call this board No2!

there is green corrosion in the sockets you can see in the pics, the sockets have to go!

IMG_3056.jpg.ac253e657e4874f1949b878a70298010.jpg

didn't take long, sockets came out fine, no track damage I had introduced! but you can see the expansion socket topside looks like it had not fared well!

IMG_3061.jpg.b95ad96de3dcf1260ae4c72b2be685ab.jpg

then came more bits taken off in the corroded area! (you can see some in the pic above of the sockets)

All cleaned up and solder removed with wick from the pads bottom side and top side also cleaned up the same,

so now after the evenings work looks like this!!

IMG_3060.jpg.3acf0dc94386c06d711773a7cbebcbc7.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg.df8693a3e5da634dba7f48b9caeaf1cb.jpg

perhaps  am mad starting this! perhaps it will be a while before this one get finished or perhaps the parts will be raided! cpu,ram, 7400, 73273 have been tested and are all still ok! but do I need another working board when I have no test rig or scorp 2 machine...........

so back to the first board I started this thread about...... tonight I would now tackel the missing copper print, it looked like this

IMG_2957.jpg.1869f81da790dda9ab3b53c1a7a508ca.jpg

so I remembered I had some of that sticky copper tape used for stopping slugs crossing it! well once cut to size and stuck down it seems ideal to me!

IMG_3068.jpg.d2094f96fa96d997de45b360b15ec686.jpg

then of course round the edges soldered so it makes good electrical connection with the rest of the copper plate!

IMG_3069.jpg.7ec5c0d79c2cd212688e0428f90366ba.jpg

still got the 2 eyelets to put in then it will be done ready for the final solder resist!

happy with the results so far!

Last bit for tonight, the 2 eyelets fitted, 1.4mm inside diameter for the battery and 1mm inside diameter for the capacitor, and soldered in

IMG_3070.jpg.73f73b3a8fd0521301809bad336022f4.jpg

the top one meets up with a track on the underside so that's been tinned and a good connection made to the track

IMG_3071.jpg.a314146ffbf15c02b70763f09c7530bd.jpg

Andrew, get a bag of copper gardeners labels, they are cheap as chips. :)

Great work by the way.

Thanks Bob for the info, I have not been near a garden center so not seen the copper labels you used, I did however buy some ‘slug’ tape a few years ago and thought as it’s sticky on the back it would be good to use so thought I would have a go with that first and see how it went, it seemed to work great and least now there is copper round the eyelet for the battery connection again!

the tape I used was this sort of thing

Tape

or for wider this sort of thing

Tape

Edited by Andrew96_

nope, glue is conductive too! it worked fine for me, I am happy with it

• ELECTRICAL PROJECTS AND REPAIRS MADE EASY - We know when it comes to electrics the most important thing is conductivity. That's why we make sure our adhesive and foil have a really low resistance. Making the tape perfect for electrical projects, repairs and even paper circuits.

Copper Foil Tape with Conductive Adhesive (25mm X 11meters) - Slug Repellent, EMI Shielding, Stained Glass, Paper Circuits, Electrical Repairs, Crafts

Edited by Andrew96_

2 minutes ago, midibob said:

Interesting, might give it a go in the New Year.:)

I just had this tape handy and thought I would see how it goes, I still soldered round the edges to the tape just to be extra sure it connected well to the tape and had no difficulty soldering to it at all, it worked for me without having to buy more stuff! Your garden labels work well for you so stick with them!

Cool! How adhesive is that tape? Could you cut it into fine slithers and use it on finer tracks?

On the area I did it stuck very well!  Smaller areas I think it would still stick ok, mine was the cheapest slug tape I could find at the time and I have had it for a couple of years but the sticky still seems to be fine

i do have some silver type too as this I used to use after repairing lcd screens and this tape is needed to stop any RFI getting out!!

B22ED9EB-2827-464E-AAE3-BFA3855D4BBA.thumb.jpeg.14d4dcfdecc8d65da45323524ab6d13c.jpeg

New connectors and the last bits fitted!, completed and fully working!

from this... 

IMG_2929.jpg.04dc820930d56c209591c374a84f3b5a.jpg

to this

IMG_3080.jpg.8da012742892a0f460a6d917d26f62b9.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg.c5a0ea0ba710d69f0630b9bc28371a74.jpg

Edited by Andrew96_

Changing those 40 pin connectors is fun, especially when the solder's gone grey!
Nice before and after pics too, makes it all worthwhile when you see the end result.:clap:

That looks absolutely mint! What a cracking job you have done to it. 👏