midibob

Tales from Midibobs workshop, Sys80

I posted about blank chips for the mars coin mechs some time ago, they are still for sale! The best response was “I only want one or 2” so no one wanted the 100 on sale!  No one will invest, and that’s the problem it has to be bulk buys, usually a minimum spend of anything from $250 to $400 minimum! So no point in me giving all the info on everything and STILL no one would want to spend out anywhere near that sort of money to help others with a qty of one actually wanted!  

I have tried to help a good few over the years of being on here,  now I do what I want to do, sorry about that.

40 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

I have built up good suppliers over the years that only deal in genuine chips, and you have to buy in bulk!! I am not going to give away my sources! Especially on a open forum like this!!! I am not that daft sorry!

41 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

I have built up good suppliers over the years that only deal in genuine chips, and you have to buy in bulk!! I am not going to give away my sources! Especially on a open forum like this!!! I am not that daft sorry!

I understand not wanting to give away your sources but if you can get genuine chips and you can only order them in (Bulk) why not sell some on to members on here that need them and make a few quid for your troubles?

The outlay is to much for small quantities wanted, been down that road before with things previously, never again!!

each to there own andy  but if i can help  some  one on here i will thats the guy i am 

11 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

I posted about blank chips for the mars coin mechs some time ago, they are still for sale! The best response was “I only want one or 2” so no one wanted the 100 on sale!  No one will invest, and that’s the problem it has to be bulk buys, usually a minimum spend of anything from $250 to $400 minimum! So no point in me giving all the info on everything and STILL no one would want to spend out anywhere near that sort of money to help others with a qty of one actually wanted!  

I have tried to help a good few over the years of being on here,  now I do what I want to do, sorry about that.

This just came up whist I was typing my reply, I will happily give you a £200 towards a big order if you want

5 minutes ago, fruit58 said:

each to there own andy  but if i can help  some  one on here i will thats the guy i am 

And i have done so too in the past, but then come the posts about making coin from poor collectors etc, when all I have done is come up with things to help with the problems encountered,  but that’s life I guess!!! I learnt !!

• Like 1

when I first joined, I came up with batteryless ram modules to go in place of the ram on boards, the reception to it was great! there was the doubters about how can the ram be cleared if it corrupts, but there are way around that quite easily, I developed and made the modules, made 25 of each of the 2 types which covered most boards! BUT the price was £20 against a £5 varta battery! I think I ended up giving more of them away to test than the 2 or 3 I actually sold! cheaper Varta wins!! Then came the ' I am making of coin out of collectors' etc and eventually had enough and left. I did come back but have sold nothing of the boards or bits since them, I am very apprehensive about selling impact and sys80 because of what has happened previously but am wanting to do so to help others, It has always seemed to be people think I have good ideas but it just does not work out for one reason or another, this is why I just do bits for myself mainly. I do have some good friends I talk to regularly but I am not into fruit machines! it is the electronics that interests me!!

• Like 1

End of the day things cost money and its a hobby. I see no problem paying for repairs or help. If I had a fruit machine and needed help fixing it or parts too fix it. I'd pay.. 

Can't wait till the sys80 rig gets made of bobs and the boards get released by folks.. Happy days 

41 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

when I first joined, I came up with batteryless ram modules to go in place of the ram on boards, the reception to it was great! there was the doubters about how can the ram be cleared if it corrupts, but there are way around that quite easily, I developed and made the modules, made 25 of each of the 2 types which covered most boards! BUT the price was £20 against a £5 varta battery! I think I ended up giving more of them away to test than the 2 or 3 I actually sold! cheaper Varta wins!! Then came the ' I am making of coin out of collectors' etc and eventually had enough and left. I did come back but have sold nothing of the boards or bits since them, I am very apprehensive about selling impact and sys80 because of what has happened previously but am wanting to do so to help others, It has always seemed to be people think I have good ideas but it just does not work out for one reason or another, this is why I just do bits for myself mainly. I do have some good friends I talk to regularly but I am not into fruit machines! it is the electronics that interests me!!

Are the CPU cards you’ve been working on and CPU’s you waiting on for your friends then? If so how do I become one of your friends lol

CPU’s will be on the sys80 boards so they are complete and these will be available if people want them,  so the CPU’s I have coming will be for those, otherwise no one would want incomplete sys80 boards! 

Great work.bob well done .very impressed and will help you a lot with board testing

what can i say bob excellent work mate   and thanks for sharing

It's funny how sometimes the smallest jobs cause the most head scratching.

I'm currently looking at a BWB ROM extension board.

1748035679_P1030964(Custom).jpeg.3bf3f183a83983db0a799b266edc9880.jpeg

Not much to it but it doesn't work! It came in with some broken pins and the quickest repair was just to replace the row with the broken ones on with double ended pin strip. The pins are slightly longer than the original socket type fitted but I've not been able to source any?

1259252472_P1030965(Custom).jpeg.8560c6c5044c8a5d5d1dbe1b9156b680.jpeg

The ROMs I dumped last week, which looked OK in the hex editor although I haven't tried them in the emulator. It looks like someone has had a go at this sometime before as the 74LS10 has lost one of its pads albeit it's not used. There is no connection to pin 1 which I find odd as you shouldn't leave gates floating? Here's the diagram...

182021605_BWBROMboard.thumb.png.d4ea53835ef62b5b7dae64c5b1ec1b95.png

One thing I've found with this board is my logic probe picks up signals on the supply lines so I have to use a scope otherwise it sees erroneous data everywhere. It's got to be something silly, maybe the ROMs are damaged? The I/O and CPU are both good and even manually grounding the reel 4 extension wire doesn't wake it up. All good fun.:headache:

• Like 1

Well it's definitely the ROMs as I've blown a set of Lucky Lady and they run fine.

This game is supposed to be Fruit King but the labels would suggest different? 'TU LL', tuppenny Lucky Lady perhaps?? They don't work and they differ from my set of 2p Lucky Lady.

Could be struggling to get hold of the roms there Bob. Not seen another fruit king

Have to see if anyone can work out what the ones I dumped actually are.

If pad 1 has been torn off look closely to see if it was originally connected to pad 2,  no way would it be floating and to me that seems the obvious thing to look into.. well I would!!!

Picking up signals on the supply lines seems to indicate they are not actually connected properly. I would check their pins for continuity.

The 'noise' on the supply lines wasn't high but it was enough to show a signal detect on my logic probe. I've found the power connections to the CPU (via the I/O) aren't particularly brilliant probably due to the length of ribbon cable and with no decoupling caps on the ROM board either it's probably not the best design.

Since I swapped out the ROMs it's been fine so I'm happy it's OK.