jeshannon

Bell Fruit Lord of the Rings issue

Hello everyone

I have a Fellowship of the Rings fruit machine by Bell Fruit Games, it's been in the shed for ages not working so time to have a go fixing. The power supply was fried so I found a new one (Scorpion 4) that's working fine I think but that's as far as i've got. Machine doesn't turn on no lights sounds nothing. I have green lights lit on the main board the other green light 5v I think is not lit and thats it. I've posted a picture below.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone here can give

Many thanks

John

20180810_122129.jpg

Either the 5v line is missing or the green led is faulty, either way that mpu looks quite track damaged around the battery so most likely the scorpion 4 mpu wil need replacing too.(what guarantee was there that the replacement psu was all working?)

• Like 1

Hi there

PSU is deffinately working and from a good trusted seller, I'm wondering if a fuse has gone maybe somewhere ? when you plug the game in apart from the fan in the psu going you can here a noise from the speakers but other then that nothing.

7 minutes ago, jeshannon said:

Hi there

PSU is deffinately working and from a good trusted seller, I'm wondering if a fuse has gone maybe somewhere ? when you plug the game in apart from the fan in the psu going you can here a noise from the speakers but other then that nothing.

Andrew has already the Scorpion 4 is knackered due to a leaking battery. He knows what he's talking about. 

• Like 1

I'll have a friend come down and look at the battery , by the way cause I'm a complete novice is it the green thing below and right of the lights ?

Thanks

well I still think the 'new' power supply is duff as the red reset light should light and go out and it appears that is not happening as there is no 5v

Agree with others - theres no 5v coming into that board, no reset LED.   Could be just a loose pin on the power supply plug , check the two plugs on the power supply and make sure the yellow lead hasn't popped out of the molex housing.

You can check between 5v pin and 0v at the power supply using a multimeter also.

what I would do is unplug the power supply from the board and check the voltage on the plug from the yellow to any black (+5v to 0v). If you have 5v coming from the power supply but you don't have it with the power supply plugged into the board then something on the board on the 5v line is shorting out.

On the subject of the battery there is corrosion yes ,  but I have seen running boards looking worse.  Before we condemn the board, we need to get the 5v LED on , and that reset LED flashing.

Thanks very much Magik i'm going to do exactly what you just said, got someone coming down next week to check my power supply i've just bought it off ebay and it said working but you never know.

Thanks very much everyone i'll post an update

John

Hi- there a different types of psu for the scorpion 4 as some are for scorpion 4/5 cabinets. The outputs are slightly different. On the 1 and 2 pins. If it's the wrong way round you could have 12v going to the wrong place. Could be a working power supply but the loom doesn't match. 

I've swapped them over before but you need to change some of the wires on your loom.

Also if it's not getting to the checking proms stage (mpu battery damage) you would likely see a red flashing led light on the board. You can try it with the game card removed and see if it flashes then. This will not fix anything but gives a better idea if it's trying to boot or has a lack of power by elimination.

Edit-

Yours is a scorpion 4/5 cabinet. Take a look at pins 1 + 2 on the output on the larger block on the new Psu itself. If they are outputting 12v this is wrong for your machine loom.

Edited by MattyL

On the subject of PSUs, the step power supplys (older type with mesh tops)  have the 12v outputs on the end pins and the newer type brick units have the 12v lines nearer the middle.  You just carefully pop the crimps for the 12v leads out of the housing and move them over to the correct pins. Most power supplys have a pin diagram on a label over the connectors.

It's definately the same model as the oneI took out, the numbers are the same, going to have someone check this one for me tomorrow just to make sure it's working properly.

20180814_225456.jpg

Well I think the power supply might not be working properly :( so I will try to find another.

I'm wondering is the Stadium SEA the only psu I can use or will another model work just as good.

thanks

John

On 8/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, jeshannon said:

Going to check the power supply then , thanks ghost !

as fruit58 said was there 5v volts?

seems very little (none) information back on the results of your testing? so how can anyone advise anything more when questions were asked from you and there are no reply's answering? we cannot mind read what the cure is for a problem your having a stab at!

good luck in your quest

51 minutes ago, ghost of andrew96 said:

as fruit58 said was there 5v volts?

seems very little (none) information back on the results of your testing? so how can anyone advise anything more when questions were asked from you and there are no reply's answering? we cannot mind read what the cure is for a problem your having a stab at!

good luck in your quest

I answer when I can but please don't take that attitude if you don't want to advise then don't buddy, many thanks

Yeah there was no 5v on the power supply and after a while the fan inside stopped working, so my friend has taken the old one and the new one to see what he can do with them, I've found another on ebay for 29 quid so I might take a chance and get it. Can't really test anything else like the board as with no psu I'm a little stuck, so sorry for lack of any updates i'm waiting on parts at the moment.

Appreciate everyones help here I'll post as soon as I have a psu to get going with, very frustrating :(

Cheers

John

well watch out on ebay, best to buy a guaranteed tested and working from a reputable place rather than eBAD / eDUD or your get the same again or some intermittently working one that does just that... intermittent!

the reason the fan burns out and stops is to get the psu's to run the 12v has to be set at 13v or over!! this over time burns out the fan! the reason for this is because the psu's were very badly designed! any attempt to set 12v near to 12v causes them to cut out! all that SEA0854 range suffer from that, it is known as bellfruit psu disease! bellfruit never did fix this mistake

Sanken GSK psu's ones have a different set of problems and fail differently as they have 2 switchmode powersupplies inside. this type look like a elephant has sat on one edge with there indentation!

Back in 2015 I spent a lot of time on these stadium psu's, over 3 days I traced out the circuit and worked out there design flaws, I then set about modifying these psu's to work flawlessly being able to set them right down to 9v output on the 12v line before they would cut out! this meant they worked perfect set to there correct voltage of 12v. I did lots for a local arcade and they all performed great! the trouble is to repair one means heavy postage both ways on top of a repair cost, so none were actually done for other people as people would just take a chance on ebay with postage cost of only one way of course! so I never bothered after that. as I said above the Sanken psu's have 2 switchmode power supplies in them, usually one won't start up or cuts off and on again causing the machine to reset. again fixable but buying from ebay again takes over rather than having them fixed and reliable for years to come. I can understand it as most likely a quick fix is needed just enough to get machines working to move on rather than having something that is reliable to keep for years to come, moving machines on seems to be the order of the day...

Hi Matty I think I will stick with the scorpion 4 (stadium) psu, I have read you can use a later model and change some of the wires, but with me being a total novice best to keep things simple hehe

Looking at that site now ghost and I have given all your info to my cousin who's looking at both psu's now. Hopefully next one I get will be ok, says more then 1 available from the ebay seller so looks like a shop or fruit machine spares seller which makes me feel better,

Thanks everyone really do appreciate everyones help and as soon as I have this new psu I can update galore.

John

Yeah have a look at any stickers on the cab round the Psu to give you clues and just test the outputs- the wrong psu in a scorpion 4 is a common one when buying second hand as people think you can just swap them. Can be good machines and an really easy fix. I did make notes of the Psu outputs. I'll have a look.

To change the wires you push a small screw driver into the top of the loom connector onto the metal crimp and tug the wire out... and just push it back into the new hole. 

Here you go-

Scorpion 4/5 (eclipse cab) new style cab e.g. Club bullseye- rich geezer

1 a.c. sync
2 +5v
3 12v
4 12v
5 12v
6 12v
7 12v
8 12v
9 rtn 
10 rtn 
11 rtn 
12 rtn

Scorpion 4 old smiley cabinet loom e.g. Club crazy fruits

1 12v Redwire
2 12v Redwire
3 12v Redwire
4 12v redwire
5 12v
6 12v
7 12v
8 12v
9 Rtn blackwire
10 rtn blackwire
11 rtn blackwire
12 rtn blackwire

You can see the danger of 12v going down the plus 5v circuit. The other way is not as bad but still won't work.

hope that helps you and good luck with your machine.

Edited by MattyL