sulzerned

barcrest mpu3 instant replay 1982

hi  fellas  i finally  had  and  hour  to  sort  out  some  pics  and  bit  of  write  up to  start  this  thread  .its  took a  long while  to  gather  together  the  necessary  parts  in order  to  attempt  a  rebuild  but  thought  it  a  worthy  project to  do  as  its  one  of those  early  mpu3s  i remember  playing as  a  kid    along  with  nudges  unlimited  . its  took a  few  years  to  to  start  but  the  final two  parts  i needed  i got  last  year  (bottom glass) and  cab !i was  still missing  a correct coin plate and  reel bands  both  of  which have  been sourced  as  will be  seen later  in this  thread  . anyway here  are the  first lot  of  pics  . 

the  first  5 pics  show  the  cab i managed  to  obtain. it  was  i think from overseas and  was  originally  a  snappy or  options  . a  company  called  eurocoin  converted it  to  a  hyperpots . i could  be  wrong  but  it think they must  have  had  something tto  do  with  vfs as  the  fruit  symbols  and  sounds  look and  sound  the  same. as  can be  seen this  machine  didnt  use  a  proper  lower  deck  reel deck and  there  were  no payslides  either  . the  coin sorters  were  therefore different as  well which just  allow  the  coins  to  the  cash boxes  instead  . its  never  straight  forward  back converting  is  it  !😉 as  can be  seen the  cab is  in great shape  .

the  next  11 pics  show  the  strip down of the  cab .notice  how  small the  reels  are in the  hyper pots machine !the  loom used the  mpu3  connector  plugs  but the  wiring  had been  completley    replaced  by eurocoin so i couldnt  really  use  this loom . luckily  i have  a  few  spare  mpu3  looms  and  choose  one  more  closely  resemlbing a  replay loom !one  other r point to mention is  that  replay cabs  didnt  use  a  hindge system for the  bottom frame but  as this  was  a  later  build   small cab it  was  present here  so  for  maintainance  and  ease  of  rebuilding  i decided  i wanted  it  back in . more  of  which later .

the  last  two pics  show  the stripped  cabinet  . also  to  note  was  the  fact that eurocoin had  butchered  the  top inner  coin mech frame in order  to  fit  thier  game  . they  had  cut  quite  a  large  section of this  mdf  frame  away as  can be  seen . i will start the  next  lot  of  pics  with  more  pics  showing  this.again  luckily  i had a couple  of  spare  intact original mdf  frames  so  i offered  it  up  to  illustrate  the  missing  sections  .     

20171120_205620.jpg

20171120_205630.jpg

20171120_205637.jpg

20171120_205645.jpg

20171120_205656.jpg

20171120_205712.jpg

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

• Like 2

ok here  are  the  next lot  of  pics  .

as  mentioned  the  frame  that holds the  top glass  and  coin mechs  had  been cut to  the  point  where  a  replacement  was  needed . i had  a  replacement frame  in good  condition so  decided  to  take the  old  one  out  and  put  my one  in . so  out with  the old  and  in with  the  old  !so  the  first  9 pics  show  this  . i was  ablw  to  use  screws  rather  than dowels  to  secure  the  frame  in place  . 

the  last  8 pics  show  the  base  was  removed  for  cleaning  and  repainting  . all the  nuts  and  bolts  were  cleaned  up along with  the  metal  cashbox  door  strip which allows the  door  to  fit  snugly.

run out  of time  so  will  resume  with  this  thread  next  week . 

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great thread Nick. Looking forward to seeing the finished machine.

Cheers dave .its nearly done now but im just a bit behind on starting the thread up !

Here we go!

Looking forward to this one Nick, looks like a good one! That wiring looks like a mess, will be interesting to see how you have gotten around that.

Keep them coming 😎

Great work nick 

Looks like you have made good start

The cab looks in good condition and the metal looks nice too

Im really looking forward to seeing this one  finished  

Top job mate

Certainly will mike .the loom that was in this machine wasnt used as it wasnt original barcrest wiring anymore after the eurocoin conversion .i had spare looms and dug one out that was similar to the original but even so i am still having to build the entire blue plug side from scratch .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe1 said:

Great work nick 

Looks like you have made good start

The cab looks in good condition and the metal looks nice too

Im really looking forward to seeing this one  finished  

Top job mate

Thanks joe i think you will like the finished machine 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sulzerned said:

Certainly will mike .the loom that was in this machine wasnt used as it wasnt original barcrest wiring anymore after the eurocoin conversion .i had spare looms and dug one out that was similar to the original but even so i am still having to build the entire blue plug side from scratch .

I can imagine that it will be a challenge, but the self satisfaction will be good. Great work Nick 

Nice work Nick.

We know how much you put into your projects.

Which makes this topic so worthy of its place here.

Cannot wait to see the end result and

Hint hint the video.

And 

Instant Replay  is

Such a great machine.

Love and miss my one to bits.

Thanks chris .a video at the end of this project is a guarantee!

• Like 2

ok fellas  here are  some  more  progress  pics . ill try  not to  over  do  it  on the  amount of  pictures !

just  the  last  few  items  to  strip off  the  cab including the  frames  of  coarse  and  meter deck  and  token refill  switch . all the  parts  taken off  were  either  powder  coated  /polished  or  chromed  .

next  up- was  the  rather  large  issue  of  making  up new  masking for  both  the top and  bottom glasses  . they had  been  removed  by their  previous owners  so  it  was  a  very  time  consuming  job  of  laying  out  all my spare  masking  and  choosing  he  right  part  for  each lamp . i got  lucky with  the  top glass fruit  matrix  found  a  an old  mask with  appropriate  squared  masking  in a  9 lamp configuration and  also  the  word  replay on the top glass  too ! the  whole  excercise  took me  four  days  from start  to  finish including the  spraying  . moral of the  story  is  " never throw your  old  masks  away "!

as  can be  seen  i now  have  an empty  cab to  work to  and  refit  the  parts  once  claened  up .

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG-20180503-WA0004.jpeg

20180501_175038.jpg

20180503_142304.jpg

20180503_142310.jpg

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG-20180504-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20180509-WA0005.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Ideal Nick, a fair amount of messing around there. Good job done though, and another problem solved!

next  lot  of  pics  coming  up 

first  5 pics  show  parts  ready to  be  chromed . ill show  a  few  of  these  later  on  chromed  up .

here  is  the  meter  deck  with  all 5  meters  claened  up and the  metal base  plate powder  coated   . see the  previous  pics  as  it  was  before  !

the  mpu /psu area was  cleaned  up and the  back wood  panel  painted 

the  inner  and outer cashbox  doors    doors  were  removed  for cleaning  and  polishing  . i decided  to  spray the  outer  door  as  the  vinyl covering  was  thin and  waring  away

the  center button / coin slot  panel  was  powder  coated  and the  catches  chromed  up . before  and  after  shots    

20180424_121702.jpg

20180424_121705.jpg

20180424_121709.jpg

20180424_122248.jpg

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

to  be  continued  in the  next  day or  two ! 

Wow,ive done some work on many machines and its amazing how many bits they spread into.That is a superb extremely thorough job.That will last many more years and looks like its just been made.super megga well done dude.

8 hours ago, MikeB said:

Ideal Nick, a fair amount of messing around there. Good job done though, and another problem solved!

Thanks mike .i did look at 3d printing to get the masks done but as usual it was horrendously expensive so it was four days of toil !

6 hours ago, warlord said:

Wow,ive done some work on many machines and its amazing how many bits they spread into.That is a superb extremely thorough job.That will last many more years and looks like its just been made.super megga well done dude.

Thanks for your praise as i know you have done some good work with electros and pullers . One of my old favourites this machine so thought it right to go to town on it .

Nick, I was aware that you have done some good work rebuilding machines in the past, but I am fascinated with this thread!

Takes real committment to put this level of effort into taking something a little tired and refurbishing it to this standard.

Just how do you get the metalwork to come up so clean like new?

Look forward to seeing your progress on this build mate

Thanks al .its took about 8 months on and off so far but hopefully the end is in sight soon !i dont do all my machines like this but thought this one was worth doing .

3 hours ago, sulzerned said:

Thanks al .its took about 8 months on and off so far but hopefully the end is in sight soon !i dont do all my machines like this but thought this one was worth doing .

Be nice to see a vid and the grin on your face when she first boots into life.

Definatley a vid on the way once its all up and running .currently building a loom for it !

It's coming along very nicely  there Nick.

Instant Replay is a cracking machine as well.

Can't wait for the video tbh.

Maybe you can do both Replays side by side

Which would make for rare viewing these days

as there can't be many of these around as most were

converted to lesser games unfortunately. 

Ha,better watch what I say as I am in line for an

ex Instant Replay shortly which is also a good game too!😆😆😆

Keep up the good work mate.

On another note (But related to this topic)

Those tiny reels in Hyper Pots,reminds me of a 6 reel

VFS  machine I used to play.

Wish I could remember what it was called.

Would be nice to find a VFS machine list with pictures.

Thanks Nick👍👍👍

Nick great job mate shes is comeing along nicely

Lots of bloody sweat and tears but boy oh  boy so worth it!!

Loveing the metal work chrome is looking super fine

Great thread so looking forward to seeing more mate