• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 midibob

midibob

Solid Silver Player

• Mecca Supporters 2018
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:29 pm

Yep, those pesky tants do make a mess when they go!

I'm still having fun and games with this board. IC3 was swapped out and this enabled it to boot. It wasn't stable however and any flexing of the board would drive it potty. The alpha was also corrupt although it was now functioning.

So there was still a way to go and as it had already had remedial work done around the battery area it's likely there are still some tracks damaged somewhere. That can wait till tomorrow.

Attached File  P1030678 (Custom).JPG   245.85KB   0 downloads

Moving on I noticed one of the motor driver IC's had been changed and under one of the pins it looked black.

Attached File  P1030677 (Custom).JPG   171.03KB   0 downloads

Hmm, this had better come out and I'm not sure I'm going to like what's underneath!

Attached File  P1030681 (Custom).JPG   205.81KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P1030682 (Custom).JPG   233.59KB   0 downloads

All that carbon has got to go otherwise it will eventually track across. For those of a nervous dispostion look away now. :lol:

Attached File  P1030683 (Custom).JPG   216.23KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P1030684 (Custom).JPG   195.44KB   0 downloads

It all has to be dug out, luckily it hadn't reached the adjacent hole. Once that's done it needs to be filled with epoxy.

Attached File  P1030685 (Custom).JPG   228.48KB   0 downloads

When that's dry it can be drilled and riveted. A bit of the old green stuff and it's good to go. Won't need that strap wire again either. :)

Attached File  P1030686 (Custom).JPG   212.91KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P1030687 (Custom).JPG   192.95KB   0 downloads

I'm also having fun and games with another board but more of that tomorrow if I get time.

#22 midibob

midibob

Solid Silver Player

• Mecca Supporters 2018
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:00 pm

Fixed!! :clap:

This was quite a bizarre fault in the way it exhibited itself. It appeared that flexing the board was driving it potty even though it wasn't booting correctly in the first place. As the initial triac lamp test wasn't running correctly I swapped out IC8. This didn't make any difference but what I did notice was just lightly touching the top of IC8 would stop it going bananas??

Knowing what I know now it was obvious what was happening but I couldn't see the wood for trees at the time. After a fair bit of head scratching and meter prodding I found that touching pin 23 of IC8 with my finger was enough to stop it going mad. Sure enough the track was broken from IC14 (74LS138) and therefore the 'enable' pin (23) of IC8 was floating in the breeze! Putting in a tack wire and all was good.

Another misprint on the diagram here which I think has been mentioned somewhere before but the outputs of IC14 are all one out compared with the designation of all the chips they feed ie Y1 should be IC2 (not IC1) Y2 should be IC3 (not IC2) etc.

• riche100 and MikeB like this

#23 sulzerned

sulzerned

real ale expert

• Mecca Supporters 2018
  • 7,515 posts
  • Locationbirmingham

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:22 pm

Well found bob nice work and what we've come to expect now !maybe a revamped diagram is on the cards at some point .

#24 booze.net

booze.net

booze.net

• Members
  • 4,798 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:34 pm

Good work Bob. 

It shows how difficult some of these faults are to find.

Web Site: www.booze.net

Please give me a shout if you have any of the machines below;

Most wanted machine:- Cash Connect MPU4

Gold Strike (MPU4), Top Take or Top the Lot (MPU4)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users