Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tommy c

Pick Yer Pesos Wdx

Recommended Posts

Here's a dx of pick yer pesos from impulse,plays a great game this,please note the flyer was poo so it ain't great.Also had to use some jpm symbols for the reels,and the hi/lo reel is a redraw,all shortcuts are as normal,cheers.

 

post-590-0-76479100-1478542615_thumb.png

Pick - Yer Pesos Wdx.zip

Edited by Tommy.c
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Layout edited,as only one side of the double reel lamps were working :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this Tommy and something of a landmark release as I believe this is the first IMPULSE layout for MFME? (Yes I know this is Global but it was originally an Impulse and AFAIK they were absolutely straight re-releases but with a (what I assume is slightly cheaper) normal alpha instead of the dot matrix alpha the Impulse originals used.)

 

I had a real soft spot for Impulses, they always felt like a bit of a spiritual companion to Reds, except Impulse never made it out of the £25 era I believe?

 

Fast games, fairly brutal, but big streaks, fantastic sounds and music, no mucking about. (I always remember an Impulse Grid Runner doing a straight £100, £25 plus three repeats, that was exciting stuff.)

 

Pick Your Pesos wasn't one I ever played for real but it's a clone of something (or something else is a clone of it), and that did turn up in a couple of local pubs back in the day. I think there was a method on it 'cheaty style' but I can't for the life of me remember what it was and IIRC I only found out after they'd disappeared :D

Great machines, and truly fantastic to see the first of them up and running in MFME, so many thanks for a great DX and a really fun machine to play.

Shame the EPOCH tech was so flaky in real life, they were supposed to have a dreadful habit of bursting into flames or popping power supplies I believe :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Layout added to sort a top reel lamp issue,should be all correct now,cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much for the release. I used to play the 10p £5 version in Morecambe quite a bit. I think the black reels really suit this machine. Nice machine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great machines, and truly fantastic to see the first of them up and running in MFME, so many thanks for a great DX and a really fun machine to play.

Shame the EPOCH tech was so flaky in real life, they were supposed to have a dreadful habit of bursting into flames or popping power supplies I believe :D

 

The mk1 lamp boards used to get so hot the solder would melt and chips would fall off the board.

The PSU's were just cheap and go super flickery very easily. They buzz like mad with all 512 lamps on. Wouldn't surprise me if a few of them set alight.

 

The evolution of Epoch is actually quite interesting. It wasn't even supposed to exist as the story goes.

Again we look to Dave Powell, who designed Castle, M1, Epoch, & Eclipse. I think spACE tech was also a revision of his Castle tech, TTX can confirm or deny I am sure.

 

The story goes something like this...

Dave Powell designed the "Eclipse One-Stop" tech. Which was a multi-purpose fruit / video board.

It had quite a few novel features for the time. It had a video port for an add-on video card, compact flash, multiple com / serial ports, native 6 reel support, on-board cctalk port, and unlike Epoch was all on one board, not streched around lots of daughter cards.

 

I can only assume what happened next, but reading between the lines, I think Maygay asked him to design a cut down version of the board, which took most of the novel features off, and thus reduced costs. Thus Epoch was born. Whether it was crap because it was designed to be as cheap as possible, or maybe DP made it rubbish in the hope they would move to the bigger board, or maybe he just made a few mistakes.

 

Had Eclipse stood the test of time it would have been the perfect board to build on when S16 came into the picture, a video ready board with compact flash on board. Unfortunately Maygay went bust before then, and Epoch was always known as a poor tech.

There are a few games on the Eclipse tech, Mostly Extreme Gaming / Scientific Games / Cool Games machines (Viper Drive, Billy The Quid, Buck$ Bunny), etc.

 

I've not heard whether they were any better in terms of reliability. So few of them seem to be around.

Eclipse and Epoch both suffer hideously from a leaky battery, which I assume was deliberate to sell more boards, built in obselesence.

 

Dave Powell's Castle, and Eclipse techs were both ahead of their time, and both techs ultimately were doomed to only be used on a few machines, likely due to higher costs because of extra features. The techs he designed which ended up being used on many machines (M1, & Epoch) were both produced for Maygay and it seems suffered from having to be cheap as a result.

 

If Epoch had been as bombproof as MPU5 in terms of reliability, Maygay may still have been an entity in its own right. Though given the way some of their machines played, maybe it's best that Maygay went the way they did. The Maygay compensation tecniques is a subject for another story.

Edited by Guitar
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2016 at 10:06 PM, Guitar said:

 

The mk1 lamp boards used to get so hot the solder would melt and chips would fall off the board.

The PSU's were just cheap and go super flickery very easily. They buzz like mad with all 512 lamps on. Wouldn't surprise me if a few of them set alight.

 

The evolution of Epoch is actually quite interesting. It wasn't even supposed to exist as the story goes.

Again we look to Dave Powell, who designed Castle, M1, Epoch, & Eclipse. I think spACE tech was also a revision of his Castle tech, TTX can confirm or deny I am sure.

 

The story goes something like this...

Dave Powell designed the "Eclipse One-Stop" tech. Which was a multi-purpose fruit / video board.

It had quite a few novel features for the time. It had a video port for an add-on video card, compact flash, multiple com / serial ports, native 6 reel support, on-board cctalk port, and unlike Epoch was all on one board, not streched around lots of daughter cards.

 

I can only assume what happened next, but reading between the lines, I think Maygay asked him to design a cut down version of the board, which took most of the novel features off, and thus reduced costs. Thus Epoch was born. Whether it was crap because it was designed to be as cheap as possible, or maybe DP made it rubbish in the hope they would move to the bigger board, or maybe he just made a few mistakes.

 

Had Eclipse stood the test of time it would have been the perfect board to build on when S16 came into the picture, a video ready board with compact flash on board. Unfortunately Maygay went bust before then, and Epoch was always known as a poor tech.

There are a few games on the Eclipse tech, Mostly Extreme Gaming / Scientific Games / Cool Games machines (Viper Drive, Billy The Quid, Buck$ Bunny), etc.

 

I've not heard whether they were any better in terms of reliability. So few of them seem to be around.

Eclipse and Epoch both suffer hideously from a leaky battery, which I assume was deliberate to sell more boards, built in obselesence.

 

Dave Powell's Castle, and Eclipse techs were both ahead of their time, and both techs ultimately were doomed to only be used on a few machines, likely due to higher costs because of extra features. The techs he designed which ended up being used on many machines (M1, & Epoch) were both produced for Maygay and it seems suffered from having to be cheap as a result.

 

If Epoch had been as bombproof as MPU5 in terms of reliability, Maygay may still have been an entity in its own right. Though given the way some of their machines played, maybe it's best that Maygay went the way they did. The Maygay compensation tecniques is a subject for another story.

@MattyL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that's a great read... it's really interesting to find out about the Eclipse! What good have been with it??

The only thing he didn't mention is the huge variation in build quality between Epoch system boards. Visually you can see it in different colours ect.

Working with them is a different matter you get waffer thin pads and traces, poor amounts of solder paste on the SMD components. You can also get fantastic boards with a lot of decent solder, great thick copper and pads and a decent solder mask.

I've no doubt SMD transistors fell off mark1 lampboards and it is a fairly high stress areas of the system. I put that down to poor amounts of crap cheap solder paste rather than the boards getting heating to over 350'c. I've had it on main boards where a spray of contact cleaner and a toothbrush scrub and components come off. 

I'm using 1998 mk1 lampboards still in 2 machines. They've been working for 21 years so I dont put it down to Epoch tech itself it's just some very poor build quality batches. It's a shame because a few incidents tar's the whole great system IMO

Edited by MattyL
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MattyL said:

Yeah that's a great read... it's really interesting to find out about the Eclipse! What good have been with it??

The only thing he didn't mention is the huge variation in build quality between Epoch system boards. Visually you can see it in different colours ect.

Working with them is a different matter you get waffer thin pads and traces, poor amounts of solder paste on the SMD components. You can also get fantastic boards with a lot of decent solder, great thick copper and pads and a decent solder mask.

I've no doubt SMD transistors fell off mark1 lampboards and it is a fairly high stress areas of the system. I put that down to poor amounts of crap cheap solder paste rather than the boards getting heating to over 350'c. I've had it on main boards where a spray of contact cleaner and a toothbrush scrub and components come off. 

I'm using 1998 mk1 lampboards still in 2 machines. They've been working for 21 years so I dont put it down to Epoch tech itself it's just some very poor build quality batches. It's a shame because a few incidents tar's the whole great system IMO

Found this in one of psus lol, I’ve removed C5 (very unprofessionally!) But seems to be working fine. I’m 50/50 about Epoch tech 

064990C2-70BA-4A2B-8042-EB67304ED38B.jpeg

9B4112F1-7687-4C3C-9F27-35D25092D8CF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time I've seen anyone suggest that M1 was a Dave Powell design. Anyone got any proof to back that up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CanonMan said:

First time I've seen anyone suggest that M1 was a Dave Powell design. Anyone got any proof to back that up?

Never heard of it myself to, he’s not credited for it on the board 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mk1 lamp boards are far superior to mk2, they updated the transistors on mk2, the trouble is they uprated the side that never fails!  so they still burn up, and also they used the crap actel chip on it that blows if you disconnect or connect the alpha disply while its on, the original used a pic chip which I have never seen blow that way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew96_ said:

mk1 lamp boards are far superior to mk2, they updated the transistors on mk2, the trouble is they uprated the side that never fails!  so they still burn up, and also they used the crap actel chip on it that blows if you disconnect or connect the alpha disply while its on, the original used a pic chip which I have never seen blow that way

MK2 are not fire risk, don’t burn up the plug and don’t burn out MPU chip correct? Heard MK1s can mess up the actel chip on MPU in an advent of a fault (probably rare to do so) do MK2s do it to or just kill the alphas? If you know 

Edited by BarcrestPlayers
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

alphas definitely kills the actel chip on the mk2 lamp boards, had a good few like that, and yes the transistors still blow in the mk2 boards like they do on the mk1, never seen a bad actel on a mpu board myself, they seem reliable to me unless battery rot gets them, but that's my experience, also there are no files to be able to change any of the actel chips and reprogram with the data they need.

this is a mk2 lamp board and clearly the silicon inside the middle has blown the top of the chip up!

IMG_8297.jpg.ca5b2529e4c81707fbc001a297919504.jpg IMG_8296.jpg.add7b0ae2997ae59358ba88a5532a082.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

alphas definitely kills the actel chip on the mk2 lamp boards, had a good few like that, and yes the transistors still blow in the mk2 boards like they do on the mk1, never seen a bad actel on a mpu board myself, they seem reliable to me unless battery rot gets them, but that's my experience, also there are no files to be able to change any of the actel chips and reprogram with the data they need.

this is a mk2 lamp board and clearly the silicon inside the middle has blown the top of the chip up!

IMG_8297.jpg.ca5b2529e4c81707fbc001a297919504.jpg IMG_8296.jpg.add7b0ae2997ae59358ba88a5532a082.jpg

What would be you advice can I ask please as I'm thinking of replacing mine with mk2 but after reading this I'm not sure so thinking of sticking with mk1 now

Edited by Ben Moore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andrew96_ said:

alphas definitely kills the actel chip on the mk2 lamp boards, had a good few like that, and yes the transistors still blow in the mk2 boards like they do on the mk1, never seen a bad actel on a mpu board myself, they seem reliable to me unless battery rot gets them, but that's my experience, also there are no files to be able to change any of the actel chips and reprogram with the data they need.

this is a mk2 lamp board and clearly the silicon inside the middle has blown the top of the chip up!

IMG_8297.jpg.ca5b2529e4c81707fbc001a297919504.jpg IMG_8296.jpg.add7b0ae2997ae59358ba88a5532a082.jpg

Good spot mate, the MK1 definitely has an advantage for the alpha, have seen the pic chips faulty twice but was out of big lot, changed pic chips alpha works ago. I seen you repaired these before I got about 10 faulty lamp boards here if you are wanting them :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×