Wizard

Gauging opinion on a new MFME release

The thing I did enjoy about the initial version of amber was the ability to play remote ram files, you never knew if the machine you was about to play had been done already ;).  I wasn't bothered about the bingo or bonus games stuff personally.  But starting with a budget made you more careful as you could potentially run out of virtual money, which made you more disciplined when playing.

J

• Like 2

The thing I did enjoy about the initial version of amber was the ability to play remote ram files, you never knew if the machine you was about to play had been done already ;).  I wasn't bothered about the bingo or bonus games stuff personally.  But starting with a budget made you more careful as you could potentially run out of virtual money, which made you more disciplined when playing.

J

This was an awesome feature. Even if Jeeves doesnt add something like that, there should be a way for a decent coder to make a front end for this sort of thing

the online play did make Amber stand out from mfme, i did read somewhere in this topic that when mfme v5 was released john from mame may make the mobile version online compatible. in an ideal world you could have a site like fruit-emu where you don't actually need to download the layouts you log in then "select" a game to play from the virtual arcade, you could have multiple layouts of the same machine so more than one could be play simultamniously

for me this would be the way forward and a major step in the future of (virtual)mfme!

Edited by vectra666

The only thing I ever noticed was people talking about how the Project Coin 'Token streakers' didn't play the same as in the wild.  I think this had a lot to do with how it is being played in the emulator, most people would simply play for the jackpot so the token streak would never get chance to really build like in an arcade scenario where regular punters are collecting non token wins regularly.   Also the Maygay machines that would drop in the red 777 occasionally.   I only had this happen on the Monopoly Deluxe on mfme.  I had it happen a lot of times in the wild, but could be the rom or the way the dips are setup even, I believe some of the maygays had dual token tubes.

J

Yeah I reckon some of the ROMs we have for the project stuff might well be bespoke pub/bingo versions that don't do massive holds on token wins.  And yes it's hard to replicate the state of the games in a true arcade environment because some games might have needed months worth of VTP and a lot of play from mug punters to get into the state where they could do some of the things they used to, and a lot of play along the way would have been with tokens, whereas on the emulator we just put £1 coins in mostly.

A lot of the £8 token Maygay stuff used to roll jackpots in after a lot of play with tokens, which you don't get when playing with cash.  It felt like some sort of mechanism to stop people from dumping tokens in for cash - you'd get nothing for ages and then the jackpot would roll in nice and slowly, big long reel spins :)

Now that the datapak stuff has been added you can actually see what coins have been entered and the state of the door switches etc. Because the older MFME didn't support multiple switches for coin inputs, you'll see on a load of machines that the token input is actually 20p cash, so you can never enter tokens at all. In theory that shouldn't matter because a credit is a credit but you never know.

These games should ideally be updated to actually use the proper switches.

• Like 5

Aha!  That's very interesting because quite a lot of games had token and cash reflexes, so I think if layouts get revisited and updated to accommodate this new functionality, we might see some of these games play very differently :)

• Like 1

Excellent news ive played 10.000 quid through the little dx of pink panthet we have. Never had a 777 roll in yet. Its running v 6.0 roms which i know in the wild do the 777 roll in. Would be great to see it happen on the emu.

• Like 2

Yes all those machines would roll in the 777s. The only two in mfme I have had it on are Deluxe Monopoly and I think it was Omega.

J

Edited by orchid

Blue version used to do this.  But they could all potentially throw that fixed 777 in.

J

On the subject of machines not acting as they would in real play, the Ace watch for my hidden treasure machines, I remember Compost (is he here, perhaps under a different name) saying how he couldn't get the mental streak out of them.

I'm sure it'll be down to no one else playing apart from yourself.

As for ram files, perhaps people can upload them. Alternatively do what I do, play machines and either leave them about to burst or suck, come back to them in a years time and get a nice or nasty surprise.

• Like 1

them two layouts red n blue versions desperately need a revamp been looking for nice images for an age now 

Well that is exceptionally hard to prove, but afaik there is nothing "missing" in the emulation that would affect this. I really think it boils down to using different updated ROM versions.

Cheers.. I'll call Fairplay... see if they know.. :)

a small question no one's asked?

note validators, will they be workable in the new mfme, if not can there be extra tools in the buttons section to make a £5,10,20 where the coin buttons are? so we can apply a whole £10 worth of credits instead of £1 a time.

@orchid maybe start one also @fruit-emu as they're into more modern techs other there where as here the members will find older tech resources??

Edited by vectra666
  • Like 2

Maybe Pete can make a dedicated mfme v5 section at some point with various sub forums.

mfme v5 bugs

mfme v5 feature ideas

mfme v5 fixed layouts etc

mfme v5 resources

J

• Like 5

Jeeves not an issue for me I have been using a trackball instead of a mouse for years as the space I have to work my computer is limited so the Trackball works better good old Logitech :)

Cliff C

I will catch up with Chris very soon and see if theres anything I can do to help like orchids suggestion above.

• Like 5

Will mpu5 horizon cabs run? Some very playable £70 jackpots if so.

Is it going to run on a standard laptop?

What is a standard laptop? Just a tad vague!