midibob

Tales from Midibob's workshop SYS85

Me too. When these dry up (ie no more donor boards) then folks will be stuffed. I wish I was clever enough to design a replacement with a PIC or whatever but I just don't have the skills.:(

10 minutes ago, midibob said:

Me too. When these dry up (ie no more donor boards) then folks will be stuffed. I wish I was clever enough to design a replacement with a PIC or whatever but I just don't have the skills.:(

There would have to be a fair few wanted and sold before anyone would be interested in making any custom chips, and TBH there just is not that interest required in the fruit machine community as there is in other communities (your not talking 10's of chips either) even my no battery (yes no battery needed) ram chips fell flat and I only got 50 of each type made!

Edited by Andrew96_

I remember looking in to this a while back and the big semiconductor warehouses had shed loads of them but you'd probably have to buy them by the 1000.:o Lord knows what they will ever do with them?

8 minutes ago, midibob said:

I remember looking in to this a while back and the big semiconductor warehouses had shed loads of them but you'd probably have to buy them by the 1000.:o Lord knows what they will ever do with them?

that's if they actually had them! just the other day i searched for a custom ABI chip and one place said they had 3000 p;us! but when I contacted they actually had none! think they just do it to get inquiries and therefore peoples emal addresses!

A couple of boards in progress. The first one had a burn up of the PSU connector and was looking a bit sorry for itself.

2038915065_P1030917(Custom).jpeg.c24fcbad55fca884d2ddb602e41a0666.jpeg

Straight off with the battery and change out anything corroded. The PSU lead was really beyond repair and plug A too!
Luckily there was no track damage. Once everything was done, powered it up and it worked.:whistle: Wish more were like that.

2045732541_P1030918(Custom).jpeg.862424e8b2c1f528be1fd2a73a6b40e8.jpeg

Looking much better now. Sorry the pics were taken different ways up.

The second board was in better nick but on switch on although the Alpha fired up with a battery alarm nearly all the lamps came on too. It then got as far as the game serial number then froze after 10 secs or so with an error bleep but the alpha had already frozen so no error code. At present I'm suspecting the 8279 chip which I hope to get a spare soon so I can prove it one way or the other. It's really annoying when you've used your last spare. I must remember not to do that in future!

Watch this space

Edited by midibob
  • Like 2