Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Amber full size cab

Hi Guys,

For lack of a better title this is the "Amber full size Cab" not sure if this topic belongs here otherwise: admin please move.

So i have my normal fruity "Sinbad" up and running and i want more ! But here's the thing.....no more space, i maybe can

get away with one slender cabinet but that's it, my gameroom is getting full. Now to get more i need to emulate, as with pinball

i'm going to build an Emu Fruity in a dedicated cab, with a television screen and real buttons. Had this idea for the longest time,

software was always a problem, it had to be fullscreen and on a 270 degree angle , just like my virtual pinball.

Just recently i stumbled on the excellent Project Amber, Guitar and others did an epic job, it scale's, it uses HW rendering and AA, its perfect

for a lcd on it's side ! I already have a lot of parts, but i'm saving up for a curved lcd, that would just be so cool for a cab.

I originally had two separate screens in mind but with different resolution and aspect ratios it would look odd, besides the screens

looked too small, did not like it and replaced with a 37" (sadly only 720p) but that curved lcd will be in there soon enough.

Just a pic for where i am now:

fruity%20start%202.jpg

Also started cabinet design in sketchup, and sourcing other parts like buttons, sound and such....

Great fun !

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 5

Thanks ! Anyone know where i can find printable inserts for my buttons ? Otherwise i have to come up with a design of my own....

I'm sure there must be loads of people on here that have spare buttons and decals, if you let us know what you're after.

maybe you could use a touchscreen  ? then you wouldnt need alot of buttons ?

prob not economical though :( 

I have a 22" touchscreen in my jukebox, i did try it,  but is no good, no "push button feeling" of sorts so that one is back in the juke.

Also have the inserts sorted, they're right here on the site  :rolleyes:  :sleeping:  :sleeping:  ...dûh..... currently cleaning buttons and printing inserts.

Going to light them with led's, maybe in the future i'll hook m up to a ledwiz, arduino or something, again this is a journey, love building stuff !

I'm also having a crack at doing this. Took my inspiration from spa. But I want to eventually build my own custom cab. Which will be a large tabletop, about 1m tall I imagine. Will take me months to get it complete. But I have made a decent front end for MFME which will allow me to accept coins and pay out real money based on what was won on any MFME game.

Ive just begun ordering the parts to connect hopper and coin mech to the PC. and Ive got some software ready to go. Plenty to keep me busy. I wish you well with yours and keep this thread going with updates so I can steal some ideas  ;)

• Like 3

Whoohoo Stoney, we're on the same road ! Spend several hours today cleaning buttons, made some nice inserts for them,

hand painted them in (long live Photoshop) and put them back together, still got some to do......

And, yes that's our good old guilder,  sigh, fond feelings for that coin...euro is crappy.....

fruity%20start%203.jpg

Nice, you'll want more buttons, depending on what payouts you use. I think smash n grab uses 13, including money in buttons, unless you are planning to use a mech. If so, tell me how lol :)

Yea I need 6 inputs for coins which will act as keypresses when a coin is entered. Early design yet but planning on adding upto 10 buttons. 5 down each side of the screen which will be generic to suit all machines and also interact with the front end for selecting games and such. Also will be a front button panel like all fruit machine albeit with a few more buttons to work with as many machines as possible. So around 20 buttons in all + inputs for 6 coins. Yea going to add a mech and hopper. And I've already built software which knows how much was won from mfme. Only on game close at the min tho but still pretty functional. Search for cash-interface2 on google. Pricey but I'm going to give that a shot. I've already ordered one so will let you know if it works as expected or not. Something tells me I will need a different hopper than the compact ones tho.

Yeah that would be great, but still lot's of unknowns, assignable button's, led's and such. My pitch on this is that i will build the whole machine

first and deal with the software later as this is more of an unknown for me....

Just ordered a pile of wood (MDF 18mm) and a bunch of buttons, and meters T-Molding :)

Also wired the button-bar today, each button has an assignable colored led, this is going to pop !

fruity%20start%204.jpg

Edited by Nemo

Nemo, You can use an ipac2 for the buttons. Which can act as keyboard buttons.

For now, Ive ordered (and it works fine) a "Zero delay USB Encoder" from ebay. They only have 16 buttons which isnt enough, but its a LOT cheaper, and I just wanted to get things started. will order an IPAC2 later which has 32 buttons.

Both encoders plug onto the spade connectors of your micro switches and you assign a keyboard shortcut for each button

For me, I will concentrate on functionality first then only once Ive figured out how everything will work, ill build a cab for it all..

Edited by No1Stoney

Mine uses an IPAC 2. I did find certain connections tot he IPAC didn't work as it should so just moved the wire to a different connection. In the video I did of supershot, hold 1 ws also start for some reason, but was as it should be with NDU. Swapped the wire to a different  connection and it's all good :)

Funnily enough my Thunderbolt went down not too long ago, that's a single screen setup. Might look into converting that as the midas is a big lump!

Yes, i have used the iPac on several virtual pinballs, great kit but sure it's pricey, i was more worried that mfme/amber

has issues with it, do all fruity's use the same keys ? Great you guys know more about the sw side of things, i am just

a hardware nut throwing some stuff together  :hmm:

You can set the shortcut keys yourself in MFME (and I assume will be the same for amber) so you can set all your machines to use the same keyboard shortcus. Thats what I will be doing.

Wouldn't you need extra buttons for features like the later bellfruits with the three sets of hi lo buttons or club machines with extra reels etc.

Yep, 13 is the most I have needed so far. But 4 of those are for money in, so if a mech could be used, 9.

Also yes, I set my own shortcut keys.

Ahhh cool, the software is more flexible, that's great news, still have to decide on the cab, form, size....... ahhh bliss

Ohh and it does NOT help that we have to put in overtime @ work.....

Edited by Nemo

Just to confirm. Ive wired my coin mech up to the PC (cashflow 115 DFX) and coins get accepted and credit MFME no problems. No other fruit machine bits needed. You just need to make your own loom

http://vid128.photobucket.com/albums/p187/No1Stoney/20160518_165503_zpswqewfdua.mp4

Edited by No1Stoney
  • Like 2

Now that is just super cool ! Hmmm i think i need a coinmech now....... ahh the ever expanding scope of this project  :hmm:  :devil:  8)

They are very cheap to buy 2nd hand so dont worry about that. Not sure what the availability is of ones that accept euro coins though. No point in cutting corners on these projects  ;)  even if that means it taking a lot longer

• Like 2

UPDATE:

It's decision time ! I was planning on using (buying) a gorgeous 32" curved lcd....... have you seen the price of gorgeous these days ??

Not willing to spend THAT much i've opted for a more sensible standard 32" Full HD panel, knowing if it were too small i could swap it

with my workout TV (you have to watch something on that stupid treadmill  <_< ) Anyhew now i find myself faced with exactly that question...

32 or 39 inch.....and for that matter; full size cab or mid sized cab ??  :wacko:   Mid sized is cool because i often like to sit on a BIG pillow or beanbag,

so with a fruity that has shrunk a bit it would be cool for sure ! Now for the Big ass cab i could go all out, and it complements the other big toys in my

gameroom, although a midicab would also fit quite nice.

Choices, choices....

So, hardware  wise things have changed for the better ! I have ditched the old pc, that crappy Pentium D was just too old, too slow. Put together

a nice Core2Duo with a nicer ssd for quick loading times, it's all a bit overkill but who cares....

Almost completed all buttons, just waiting for the extra ones, i'm going for a total of 16 switches on my ipac :headache:, it will be somewhat future proof.

Ordered some nice chrome & black T-Molding, locks for the coindoor, it's just waiting for DHL to bring it already.....

So here are we now (this is with the 32"), don't mind the toiletpaper  :clown: , and it's just running an IGT slot, still having LOT'S of problems with the

other emulators, but that's for later, first i'm building this thing !

fruity%20start%205.jpg

Also have a separate powersupply for all the led's and other toys i might add, and i have found a speakerset

with sub for the sound, yay !  And .....ouch ! How many updates on a fresh win7 install........Dang !

fruity%20start%206.jpg

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this